Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Formula | PCIE link widths set to x4 and x1

stanere
Level 7
Just replaced damaged i7-2600k with i5-3570k

i7-2600k had one pad teared off which (probably) led to weird gpu perfomance:
-with single 680 gtx the first line width was x0 and no video signal, igpu worked (swapped GPUs - no changes)
-with dual 680 gtx the first line width became x8 and the second became x0, only one GPU was detected by the system

with i5-3750k situation changed:
both GPUs are working at the same time in SLI, but line width for the first of them is x4 and x1 for the second one

for now I ran several benchmarks: Hitman Absolution, Bioshock Infinite and 3DMark11 - they all are giving extremely low results (lower than they were with single gpu).

System specs:
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula, current BIOS version 1903
CPU: Intel i5-3750k@4.2GHz
GPUs: 2 x MSI n680GTX Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC
Memory: 2 x GeIL 8GB DDR3-1600 Black Dragon
PSU: Enermax Revolution 85+ 920w

Thanks for any help or advice
7 REPLIES 7

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello mate

Could you please confirm that you have done the following.

Clear CMOS using the button on the in/out panel - it is near to the ROG connect button.

That you have updated your BIOS to one supporting your CPU and the method of that bios update.

If you updated using the OS please re-flash your bios.

Use a fat formatted USB device and Ezflash2 from the tools menu in bios to do so.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

stanere
Level 7
Thank you for your reply!

1903 is the latest official bios for M5F, I also tried 1408 (pre-installed bios) with the same effect, bios was flashed via EZ-Flash

HiVizMan
Level 40
Purely from a deductive perspective it would seem that the CPU is the cause. Do you still have the other CPU? Can you get hold of a processor to test if it is the board or the CPU that is the cause?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

i have 2600k as well, well, it has some teared pads and some issues described in original post

i5 buying was based on the other responses about NB issue and the fact that NB is located inside CPU.. well, at least it's working in single GPU mode now

I'll try to check for bent socket pins, will report result a bit later

HiVizMan
Level 40
Thanks stanere, if the other CPU is not going to assist us in determining where the fault lies then do not bother. Ideally we need to find out if the board is working 100% or if it is the CPU that is the cause.

stanere
Level 7
Dear HiVizMan,

seems like I fixed that issue or at least it's gone for now: three pins were bent, so I fixed them and now I have x8/x8 support with benchmark results matching previous runs and my expectations.

Thank you so much for your support and quick answers,

-stanere

HiVizMan
Level 40
No worries my friend I am just happy you are sorted

Take care and stop by and say hello every now an then.