Level 7
Specs:

i5 3570k
Corsair AX650
Asus Maximus V Formula
Samsung 830 SSD
Corsair 2 x CML8GX3M2A1600C9W Kits

Issue:

When I plug the mPCIe Combo card into the board it will not power on. The LED's on the board light up along with the Start and reset buttons. However, the GO LED continuously blinks and nothing happens when I press the Start button. I do not receive any kind of post codes either. I have cleared CMOS, re-seated CPU, re-seated combo card, removed the combo card screw in case it was shorting and tried it without the wireless card attached. Nothing fixes the issue. The motherboard posts fine without the combo card attached and I am able to install Windows and drivers. Any ideas before I try just RMA'ing the combo card?
i7-3930k
Rampage IV Extreme
Corsiar 16gb 2133mhz CMT16GX3M4X2133C9
GTX 680 x 2 SLI
Corsair AX850
Mushkin MKNSSDCR120GB x2 RAID0
10 REPLIES 10

bikeman
Level 7
There may be installation process is short-circuited, you can try to pull out the motherboard from the chassis.

bikeman@ASUS wrote:
There may be installation process is short-circuited, you can try to pull out the motherboard from the chassis.

And would the short circuit between the motherboard and chassis not still be present when the card was removed and all worked? Or am I missing something here. Either there is a short circuit or there is not. If their is then the system will not work regardless of what cards were installed - however since the system does work when the card is removed there is a much higher likelihood that the card is defective or the cause of the failure for the motherboard powering up. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

NickH
Level 7
I called ASUS for an RMA but they wanted to send me a refurbished board and of course they wouldn't just send me a replacement combo card. Because of this I am mailing it back to Newegg for a new replacement. So far I seem to be the only one with this problem so that's good I guess?
i7-3930k
Rampage IV Extreme
Corsiar 16gb 2133mhz CMT16GX3M4X2133C9
GTX 680 x 2 SLI
Corsair AX850
Mushkin MKNSSDCR120GB x2 RAID0

HiVizMan
Level 40
LOL good luck to ASUS finding a refurbished board from a series that is less that two weeks old I say. Newegg for the win in that case. Keep us informed how it goes please.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hi man, last saturday I get an Maximus Formula V and my card has the same sh*ty problem than yours. At the end, Newegg solved your issue? Or you sent the whole motherboard for RMA?

I'm thinking to do nothing, but at the same time I dont know if the problem is just on the mPCIe combo or is a fail on the motherboard and could propagate to other parts.

I'm very disapointed at Asus, it suppose to be a high-end motherboard and this shouldn't be happening 😞

The BS mPCIe Combo 😞

I bought Maximus V Formula last week and have the same problem with your guy.
With the mPCIe card install, the board won't boot.
Without the mPCIe card install, the board boot fine.
I did contact Asus and they ask me to send the mother board and everything back to them for the replacement. They can't replace only the mPCIe card :(.

Problem Solved:
I just loose two screws that hold the Wifi board and it worked.

Hi remove the small metal L shaped bracket screwed to the mPCIe module and plug the module to the motherboard without it. That worked for me.

pardhar wrote:
Hi remove the small metal L shaped bracket screwed to the mPCIe module and plug the module to the motherboard without it. That worked for me.

By the way, you can see the bracket in the lower left corner of the module in the picture couple posts above. Just get rid of it. It is still tight and stable without it.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Have added the remove small metal bracket to the fix list. Thank you for that.