cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Formula - Intel build - A2 (IDE detect) code at startup, can't solve

Arktok
Level 7

Hi everyone, I'm having some trouble getting my first gaming build up and running and while I've found similar threads, I can't seem to correct the problem. I will try to be as detailed as I can and I hope some of y'all can take the time to read through this and offer some guidance. I'll start by listing my system:

System:
Mobo: ASUS Maximus V Formula (no ThunderFX)
CPU: Intel i5-3570k
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
TIM: Arctic Silver 5
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M2A1866C9 - 16Gb (2x 8Gb), 1866, 9-10-9-27 (installed in B2/A2, per mobo manual)
PSU: Corsair AX850 - Professional Series Gold 80
GPU: EVGA Superclocked+ 3Gb GTX 660 Ti
SSD: Crucial M4 - 128Gb (for OS/boot only)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black - 1Tb
RAID: Not Applicable
OD: Lite-On Black IHBS112-04 (Desktop internal Blu-Ray burner)
Monitor: Samsung 24" (S24B350HL) connected through HDMI
Keybrd: Logitech G110 (brand new)
Mouse: Dynex Laptop Mouse DX-PMSE (I've used this before on my laptop and old Dimension 8300 and it worked with them)
Case: HAF 932

Bought everything from Newegg [dot] com. No visible damage when it arrived.

DESCRIPTION OF PROBLEM:
-BIOS (I know it's really UEFI) was flashed with version 0804 prior to first power on following manufacturer's instructions
-USB was formatted to "FAT32".
-File was renamed "M5F.cap" by ASUS's renaming utility. The .cap file is the only file on the USB stick.
-Inserted USB into the white port next to the ROG connect button and held down the button until USB light began to
flash. I did NOT touch the computer again until the light stopped flashing.
-I power on the computer and there is one short beep (normal, if I'm correct),. The system reset itself once which I have read
it may do when the BIOS has been flashed. The OS disk was not in the OD drive b/c I wanted to double check the boot
order in the BIOS first.
-The Q-Code flashes through various codes then settles on "A2" which the mobo manual describes as "IDE detect".
-The HDD light on the mobo is a steady light which the mobo manual describes as indicating a normal status.
-I do not see anything on my monitor (It is plugged into the mobo's HDMI port; I saw no difference when I changed it to GPU.)

ATTEMPTED SOLUTIONS:
-I used the following guide as a starting point:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems
-Yes, I used an anti-static mat with the wrist strap and was grounded during the build. Did it in the kitchen away from carpet.
The mobo spacers were installed correctly. Nothing is touching anything it should be, even the NH-D14 and GPU, so I don't
think there's a short anywhere. (Plus, that would probably keep it from turning on, right?)
-I've checked all my connections and they're good. The A2 code won't go away even when I unplug the SATA cables from
SSD, HDD, and OD. (I am using the Intel SATA ports, NOT the AsMedia!!!) Default for mobo should be AHCI. RAM is seated
correctly.
-I put the OS disk into the OD drive and pressed the "Reset" button on the mobo, still nothing shows up on the monitor and
the "A2" Q-Code appears again.
-Removed the OS disk and turned off system.
-Turned on PSU only and cleared CMOS.
-Powered on system and held down DEL key; same scenario.

OBSERVATIONS:
-The fans and lights all work, so I'm sure all the PSU connections are good.
-If it weren't for the IDE detect" code, I'd be sure the SATA cables are good. I'm hesitant to go buy new cables without being
sure they're the problem.
-Monitor keeps switching between displaying "HDMI" and "Analog", then floats a box that says "Check signal cable" with a red,
green, and blue box each and "Analog".
-It worked fine when connected to my old Dimension 8300 via VGA. The HDMI is a $20 Dynex from Best Buy; I really
hope that's not the problem (don't have anything else HMDI to connect it to and check).
-I'm frustrated :mad: so it's time to step back and enlist the help of more experienced builders.

I understand this is a long post but I'm sure y'all can understand my disappointment at hitting a snag that I can't seem to fix. If anyone can offer some help, especially if they've cleared this hurdle themselves, I would GREATLY appreciate it.

Please ask questions if you need clarification on anything. Thank you!

ASUS MVF (0804) | i5-3570k - 3.4 GHz | Win 7 Pro 64 | CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R Corsair Vengeance 2x 4Gb, 1600, 9-9-9-24 | Noctua NH-D14 | EVGA GTX 660 Ti Superclocked+ 3Gb | Crucial m4 - 128Gb (boot/OS only) | WD Caviar Black - 1Tb | Corsair AX850 | Lite-On BluRay R/RW | HAF 932:cool:
22 REPLIES 22

moorhen2
Level 10
Can i ask why you needed to flash the bios,and why you used the bios "flashback procedure" to do this,flashing the bios should have been done through the EZ Flash 2 utility in the bios itself. I would be inclined to re-flash using the correct procedure,ie using the bios file from Asus,and EZ-Flash 2.Dont rename it,use as is.Make sure bios is set to "optimized defaults"before flashing,ie press F5 when in bios and then F10 save and exit.Then follow the the procedure as to the Manuals instructions.Hope this helps.
ASUS CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z
AMD FX 8350 (1252)
INTEL CORE I7 2600K (3134A867)
ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME-Z (0002)

OCZ VERTEX 3 120 SSD
GIGABYTE 890FXA UD7 REV 2.1 (F3)
GIGABYTE 890FXA UD7 REV 2.0 (F3)
VARIOUS AMD CPU's
8 GIG G-SKILL SNIPER LOW VOLTAGE 1600
4 GIG G-SKILL RIPJAWS X 2133 C9
8 GIG CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1600 C8 (HYNIX)
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 800D
CORSAIR HX1000W PSU
2X RADEON HD6970'S XFIRE
4X SAMSUNG F3 1T HDD's 2X RAID 0
CUSTOM WATERCOOLING

No display via HDMI?

I had that with my MVF when I had it plugged into my older Sharp LCD TV via HDMI, no video output whatsoever.

Works perfectly when connected via HDMI or DVI to my proper Asus monitor.

With regards to booting, can you try running something like Ubuntu off of a USB memory stick, I did this with mine just to test the board prior to installing Win 7. The latest version of Ubuntu even supports the boards Wi-Fi!!

helidan wrote:
No display via HDMI?

I had that with my MVF when I had it plugged into my older Sharp LCD TV via HDMI, no video output whatsoever.

Works perfectly when connected via HDMI or DVI to my proper Asus monitor.

With regards to booting, can you try running something like Ubuntu off of a USB memory stick, I did this with mine just to test the board prior to installing Win 7. The latest version of Ubuntu even supports the boards Wi-Fi!!

I took the HDMI cable to Best Buy this morning and had them plug it into a system and it worked fine. I saw the display and the little Nickalodean cartoon they played, so the cable is fine.

My monitor is a proper pc monitor from Samsung and worked without error when plugged into my old pc via VGA. There shouldn't be any compatability issues with connecting an ASUS mobo to a Samsung monitor.

I've never used Ubuntu, or Linux for that matter, so I'm not comfortable adding another unknown as a troubleshoot.
ASUS MVF (0804) | i5-3570k - 3.4 GHz | Win 7 Pro 64 | CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R Corsair Vengeance 2x 4Gb, 1600, 9-9-9-24 | Noctua NH-D14 | EVGA GTX 660 Ti Superclocked+ 3Gb | Crucial m4 - 128Gb (boot/OS only) | WD Caviar Black - 1Tb | Corsair AX850 | Lite-On BluRay R/RW | HAF 932:cool:

Since clearing the CMOS didn't resolve the issue, I removed the mPCIe Combo Card (since some users have had issues with it) and received the same "A2" Q-code (IDE detect). I cannot even see ANYTHING on my monitor when I press the power button on the system.

I've tried booting with both the harddrives entirely disconnected from the system and I still get the A2 code.

I really have no idea what to do.

Chino wrote:
Can you take a pic of the inside of your case with everything installed?

Here's a pic with the power to the PSU on:

And a pic of the monitor's error message with working HDMI cable connected (the gray box says "Analog"):

Thanks.

Let's try this:

• Remove the D14 and use the default stock heatsink.
  • Use only 1 strick of ram and put it in the DIMM_A2 slot.
  • Remove your EVGA 660ti and connect the HDMI cable to your HDMI port that's on the mobo.
  • Disconnect ALL the connectors (Sata, USB 2.0, 3.0, audio, mPCIe, fans, etc.) except the power cables & System panel connectors.
  • Power on your system.

Let me know how it goes. 😛

what have you got in the black sata 2 port , you have enough red s3 ports to run all on sata3 , so that be my guess

t3kn33k wrote:
what have you got in the black sata 2 port , you have enough red s3 ports to run all on sata3 , so that be my guess

The black sata ports are the Intel 3Gb ports. The topmost red hub is the Intel 6Gb sata ports. Bottom two red hubs (4 sata ports total) are the AsMedia ports.

I have the BluRay drive and the case's eSATA cable plugged into the black Intel 3Gb sata ports. The SSD and HDD are plugged into the red Intel 6Gb sata ports. AsMedia ports are devoid of connections.