cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Formula, computer no longer boots

capnbishop
Level 7
Greetings,

This evening when I went to boot my computer up I found that the PSU would click on, the fans would spin up, and then the PSU would click off and everything would shut down. That would happen in about half a second. About 2 seconds later, it would try again, and continue this pattern repeatedly.

I cleared the CMOS to no avail (both by pressing the clear CMOS button as well as removing the battery and power for more than 10 minutes). I tried a different PSU and got the same symptoms. I removed all the components except for one stick of RAM (and power and the CPU, of course) and got the same thing.

The LED lights next to the 24-pin show the CPU LED light up for a moment while the fans are spinning, before it shuts off again. I'm not sure how long that light would normally be lit, so that might not mean anything.

Any ideas?

Specs:
CPU: Intel i7-3770K
Mobo: Maximus V Formula
PSU: OCZ ZX 1250W
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16 GB (4x4GB)
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: GTX 660 Ti
9 REPLIES 9

HiVizMan
Level 40
Did you get any codes on the Q-code LED poster? If no then your board is gone.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

capnbishop
Level 7
Yeah, nothing on the Q-code LED poster. Dang...

capnbishop wrote:
Yeah, nothing on the Q-code LED poster. Dang...

Yeah did that to my RIVE board yesterday which is why I know.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I submitted an RMA request and got the automated email with instructions, but it's a tad vague on how it should be packaged. The email clearly says that the original box is considered an "accessory", and therefore will not be returned or replaced. I would like to keep the box (maybe I'm weird like that, but it's something that I do), so what's the best and most approved way of packaging the motherboard? Do they care if it's shipped with an antistatic bag, or do they figure that it's busted anyway so I might as well just wrap it in bubblewrap?

Also, the wifi/bluetooth card is a removable component. Does that classify as an "accessory" and therefore should be removed?

kkn
Level 14
pack every thing back in to the original package and wrap it and ship it.

The RMA instructions pretty clearly say not to.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Mate only send the motherboard back. Keep all the other bits and bobs. Only the motherboard nothing else.

capnbishop
Level 7
Cool, thank you.

red454
Level 11
I wanted to keep my box too. I got my MVF back in about a 10 days. And there is a chance you will get a different (refurb / replacement) board returned to you. My "new" board works fine. Not really missing the box now.
ASUS Rampage V Extreme BIOS 4101 | i7-6950X | Thermaltake Core X9 | G.Skill F4-2800C16Q-32GRK | Cooler Master Nepton 280L | Dual Samsung 850EVO 500GB SSD | PSU: DARK POWER PRO 11 1000W | 3TB & 4TB HDD | NVIDIA GTX Titan X | ASUS 24x DVD±RW Drive | Win10 Pro