cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Formula & Asus GTX680 SLI Set Up

Marwood2
Level 7
Hi, new here and just wanting to know a if anyone has had any heating issues with a Asus GTX 680 SLi set up on a Maximus V Formula Board? i currently have the Asus 680 OC and wanting to add another 🙂 i currently have 1000w PSU is this enough? i7 3770k @4.4 16G Ram Thermaltake Armor Revo Gene Snow case, Samsung 120Hz 27" 3D Monitor any help, suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated....
68 REPLIES 68

Marwood2
Level 7
so is there an i7 processor certified for gen 3?

Chino
Level 15
Currently there aren't any Certified X79 CPUS for PCIE 3.0. But I've read that you force the PCIE 3.0 via a program/Registry hack or something to that extent. But many times will result in instability/BSOD/etc. To be completely honest with you, you won't see any significant gains between PCIE 2.0 and PCIE 3.0 gaming wise. Here is a little benchmark they did with the GTX 680 SLI.

Marwood2
Level 7
Ok i have gone to my local computer shop were i get all my parts 🙂 and explained my issue and what i would like to order...
He has recommended that i move the second card down to pcie slot 7 and the top card in slot 1 of my MVF, and he says that i will have pcie 3.0 @8 if i did this? i am unsure if this is correct. could you please inform if this is correct as in the manual it say slot 7 is pcie 2.0 @4 😞
But is this possiable on the MVE? as you mention above there is no diff between pcie 3.0 & 2.0 @16 sli & @8 sli...
I have ordered th HAF-X case for the extra pcie slots 9 in total 2 allow room for this move 🙂

Chino
Level 15
Maybe he got confused. The only PCIe 3.0 lanes on the MVF are the 2nd and 5th slots. All the others are PCIe 2.0. As I stated before, the optimal slots for SLI are the 2nd and 5th slots. Using them makes your GPUs run at x8/x8. I'll be completely honest with you. I don't have another GPU to SLI. So I can't test what the computer guy told you. But it should work. The only downside that I see is that the second GPU might run at x4 instead of x8. Assuming it works, you'll have a x8/x4 SLI.

But if you want to test it yourself, take out your motherboard and put the second GPU in the 7th slot instead of the 5th. Boot it up and see if the BIOS registers the GPU. Then proceed to Windows and see if your SLI configuration is detected. If everything is working, then you just saved yourself a lot of money since getting a new case is much cheaper than swapping motherboards. lol

Marwood2
Level 7
Will let you know on this once i get my new case 🙂 with the MVE it has more PCIE x 16 slots 3.0 @8 i wonder if this would work in slots 1 & 4 or 6 and still give you PCIE 3.0 @8 or do they have to be as the manuals say: install in native slots, - what does this actually mean?

Chino
Level 15
Z77 motherboards only have 16 PCIe 3.0 lanes. According to the specification from Intel, that limits us to 3-way GPU setups (x8/x4/x4). So in order to achieve 4-way GPU setups, motherboard manufacturers have to include a PLX PXE chip on their motherboards that increases the PCIe lanes to 32 - all rated PCIe 3.0.

According to Asus's design, slots 1 & 3 are the lanes that go directly to the CPU without going through the PLX bridge. That's why you are seeing the term "native". So when you install a 2-way GPU setup using these lanes, the PLX chip won't be activated. However if you were to use another slot apart from the native ones, the PLX chip will be activated.

Marwood2
Level 7
installed the second card into the last pci slot in sli and it was not recognised in sli. i think it was running as a physic card. dose the MVF have a plx chip?

Marwood2
Level 7
should the card be running in sli then? as it would not let me 😞

Chino
Level 15
If you've installed it properly and it doesn't run in SLI then I guess using the 2nd and 7th slots for SLI is not supported. Sorry, mate. It was worth a try.