cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z - VCCSA / VCCIO GOT THE SAME VALUE ?!

IronAge
Level 7
I bought the GENE-Z and sold my P8P67 Pro.

I think there is a major mistake or design flaw in the Bios Setup of the GENE-Z.

VCCSA and VCCIO got no sperate settings. When i set VCCIO VCCSA gets the same value.

VCCIO value is way higher than VCCSA and it goes over Intel recommendations for VCCSA ...

Please bring up a bios fix for this ASAP.

We need to be able to enter different values for VCCSA and VCCIO.
30 REPLIES 30

IronAge wrote:
thats what you claim - please show me the page in the electrical specification where i can read that ?!

And your wrong about that my CPU ALWAYS ran within electrical specification which can be read in the document 324641-001

IronAge wrote:
i know all that - surprise.

You said above you were within specs at 5GHz, but now you are saying you knew all along that you were not?

I await your response of guidelines from Intel about buck controller and voltage specification design for Z68 chipsets for boards with IGP output. 🙂

"i know all this" = i read that part too. i think that is not just a technical statement.

Or why would VCCSA or other voltages even when overclocking to 5 GHz or above stay within the specified voltage ranges ?

but i already found out that with gigabyte Z68 Boards it seems to be different. VCCSA within specs and may be set seperately.

So it is the ASUS Z68 VR design which sets the SA voltage over the specifications as stated in the intel document.

I will be asking Intel how this may affect the lifetime of a sandy bridge CPU.

IronAge wrote:
"i know all this" = i read that part too. i think that is not just a technical statement.

Or why would VCCSA or other voltages even when overclocking to 5 GHz or above stay within the specified voltage ranges ?

As soon as you overclock the processor you are outside specifications, you stated that at 5GHz you were within Intel specifications - this is clearly not the case.

IronAge wrote:

but i already found out that with gigabyte Z68 Boards it seems to be different. VCCSA within specs and may be set seperately.

So it is the ASUS Z68 VR design which sets the SA voltage over the specifications as stated in the intel document.

I will be asking Intel how this may affect the lifetime of a sandy bridge CPU.

The Gigabyte boards you speak of have no voltage rail for the iGPU, they are not the same as our boards.

Ask Intel what their base power design for Z68 boards with iGPU voltage is.

-Raja

When i have been overclocking i have been outside specification considering clock rate and current.

But WITHIN the specification for the voltages provided to VCCSA / VCCIO etc.

Actually there are people who dont overlock at all with Z68 - there are other reasons for prefering Z68 over P67/H67 as you certainly know.

The VR design of your Z68 boards forces people to run Sandy Bridge CPU outside specs for SA @ default clock rate.

IronAge wrote:
When i have been overclocking i have been outside specification considering clock rate and current.

But WITHIN the specification for the voltages provided to VCCSA / VCCIO etc.

You are outside specifications because when you increase the core frequency of the processor you increase the bus IO and this increases current consumption of all associated buses - so you are outside the specifications for VCCSA/VCCIO etc even if you leave their voltage at "stock".

-Raja

current, temperature, VID etc. is no doubt affected by overclocking.

Voltages for VCCSA and VCCIO don't seem to be affected very much by higher core clock rates.

You do not need to increase VCCSA or VCCIO over intel specs to achieve higher clock rates on the cores.

And the readout of VCCSA or VCCIO does not increase when you set the cores to higher clock rates.

Plus your Z68 Board set Voltage for SA outside intel Specs WITHOUT overclocking - that is the point - don't you get it.

IronAge wrote:
current, temperature, VID etc. is no doubt affected by overclocking.

Voltages for VCCSA and VCCIO don't seem to be affected very much by higher core clock rates.

You do not need to increase VCCSA or VCCIO to achieve higher clock rates on the cores.

And the readout of VCCSA or VCCIO does not increase when you set the cores to higher clock rates.

This has to do with peak IO, if the IO of the processor does not increase at higher frequency then why even bother overclocking it? The IO increases with increased processor frequency, that is why we overclock. Increase IO of the CPU = increased IO of the system agent and processor IO stages = outside specifications at 5GHz. Not only that, DDR3-1333 is within specifications at stock processor frequency only. If you are running DDR3-1866 or DDR3-2133 even at stock processor frequency you are outside specification. If you are running DDR3-1866 and DDR3-2133 at 5GHz you are definitely outside specifications.

-Raja

IronAge wrote:
"i I will be asking Intel how this may affect the lifetime of a sandy bridge CPU.

I wish you good luck to find someone at Intel who will answer you on that, the one at Intel qualifiy enough to give you the right answer don't deal with end users. You will end up with a statement to stay in the spec.

IronAge
Level 7
Well readout, no increase for higher CORE CLOCKS says something different.

I did not bring RAM into this right ... i am aware that you need SLIGHTLY higher VCCSA for some memory Modules.

But you can run DDR3-1866 and DDR3-2133 and still remain within the specs for VCCSA.

Or are you trying to tell me that the readouts of ALL the motherboards are simply wrong ? 😉

So we got to take it as a given fact that with Asus Z68 VR VCCSA is set outside intel specification - no matter if you overclock or not.

IronAge wrote:
Well readout, no increase for higher CORE CLOCKS says something different.

I did not bring RAM into this right ... i am aware that you need SLIGHTLY higher VCCSA for some memory Modules.

But you can run DDR3-1866 and DDR3-2133 and still remain within the specs for VCCSA.

Or are you trying to tell me that the readouts of ALL the motherboards are simply wrong ? 😉

IronAge wrote:

I have never needed more than 0.95 to get over 5GHz with DDR3-1866-2133.

What is READOUT? We are talking about processor IO, at higher processor frequency the processor can process more data in a given time frame. Where do you think that data comes from? It comes from L1, L2 and L3 cache and also the memory bus. The system agent and VCCIO are responsible for passing any transactions outside L3, and if the data rate increases, the System Agent AND VCCIO stages will have to consume more current over time, which means they run outside the specified power curve.

-Raja