cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IV Extreme failing to boot

pathfinda
Level 7
Building my first custom PC with the MIVE, i7-3820 CPU, 64 GB of RAM, dual 660Ti, 256 SSD with 4 3TB WD red HD for a RAID config, 1200 Watt PSU.

I installed the CPU, 1 stick of RAM, 1 GPU and the mobo fails to POST, ie, nothing on the display when a monitor is connected.
I have attempted to clear the CMOS by leaving the battery over for 10 minutes, but to no success.

Crazy questions:

Should I get any display on the Debug LED?

For the Voltimeter LED II, I have two that are lit; the DRAM AB and VESA_VCore, ( and there is no reference in the User Guide about them) Should they be lit?

Any help to get the Beast to come alive would be greatly appreciated.
Coolermaster HAF X Case, Asus Maximus IV Extreme, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance, Intel I7-3820, Samsung 256 SSD (Boot), 4 3 TB Western Digital Red HD in RAID 5 Config, 2 EVGA 660 TI Superclocked in SLI Mode, Coolermaster 1200 PSU
8,962 Views
16 REPLIES 16

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forums, pathfinda.

Either you listed your motherboard or CPU wrongly. The MIVE is a 1155 socket motherboard and the i7 3820 is a socket 2011 CPU. :confused:

Chino wrote:
Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forums, pathfinda.

Either you listed your motherboard or CPU wrongly. The MIVE is a 1155 socket motherboard and the i7 3820 is a socket 2011 CPU. :confused:



Not sure, but I meant this mobo:

http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/RAMPAGE_IV_EXTREME/

which does list the i7-3820 as a comp CPU:


Core i7-3820 (3.6G,L3:10M,6C,HT,rev.M0) ALL
0604

Core i7-3820 (3.6G,L3:10M,6C,HT,rev.M1) ALL
1101
Coolermaster HAF X Case, Asus Maximus IV Extreme, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance, Intel I7-3820, Samsung 256 SSD (Boot), 4 3 TB Western Digital Red HD in RAID 5 Config, 2 EVGA 660 TI Superclocked in SLI Mode, Coolermaster 1200 PSU

Chino
Level 15
Oh. That's the Rampage IV Extreme (RIVE) not the Maximus lol.

First I'll need you to disconnect all the cables and remove all the components from your motherboard. Take the motherboard out of the case and put it on the box it came in with. Now, please inspect the CPU socket carefully and see if there are any bent or missing pins.

Secondly, I want you to locate the long stick that is on your motherboard and post the last 4 digits that's on the sticker.

Chino wrote:
Oh. That's the Rampage IV Extreme (RIVE) not the Maximus lol.

First I'll need you to disconnect all the cables and remove all the components from your motherboard. Take the motherboard out of the case and put it on the box it came in with. Now, please inspect the CPU socket carefully and see if there are any bent or missing pins.

Secondly, I want you to locate the long stick that is on your motherboard and post the last 4 digits that's on the sticker.



Motherboard removed from case, no issues with bent or missing pins

Last 4 digits - 2003 ( I assume that is the BIOS number?!?)
Coolermaster HAF X Case, Asus Maximus IV Extreme, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance, Intel I7-3820, Samsung 256 SSD (Boot), 4 3 TB Western Digital Red HD in RAID 5 Config, 2 EVGA 660 TI Superclocked in SLI Mode, Coolermaster 1200 PSU

Chino
Level 15
What you want to do now, with the motherboard on the box, is to remove your battery and wait for 5 minutes. Reinstall it back into place. Install your CPU with its stock heatsink. Then proceed to installing 1 stick of RAM in the DIMM_D1 slot. Insert one of your 660TI into the first PCIe slot. Connect only the power cables to your motherboard (24 pin, 8pin & 4pin) and to your GPU.

Finally, power on the motherboard with the Start Button. Does it post? Do any of the QLED comes on? Are there any error codes showing on the Debug LED? Does the heatsink fan start up? Do you hear any beeps?

Chino wrote:
What you want to do now, with the motherboard on the box, is to remove your battery and wait for 5 minutes. Reinstall it back into place. Install your CPU with its stock heatsink. Then proceed to installing 1 stick of RAM in the DIMM_D1 slot. Insert one of your 660TI into the first PCIe slot. Connect only the power cables to your motherboard (24 pin, 8pin & 4pin) and to your GPU.

Finally, power on the motherboard with the Start Button. Does it post? Do any of the QLED comes on? Are there any error codes showing on the Debug LED? Does the heatsink fan start up? Do you hear any beeps?


So, I'm getting paranoid about bent pins for the CPU and i included a foto of the CPU mount area. To be honest, all pins appear to be at an angle, so i need to verify what was meant by " bent Pins"

Removed Battery
Allowed to stand for 30 minutes
Installed CPU ( I have the H100 Heatsink, so that was re-installed
Installed 1 stick of RAM in selected slot
Installed i 660TI to first PCie slot
Connect power to Motherboard, h100, and 600TI

No display on Debug LED,
Heatsink fan and GPU does power
There are no beeps.
Coolermaster HAF X Case, Asus Maximus IV Extreme, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance, Intel I7-3820, Samsung 256 SSD (Boot), 4 3 TB Western Digital Red HD in RAID 5 Config, 2 EVGA 660 TI Superclocked in SLI Mode, Coolermaster 1200 PSU

Chino
Level 15
Did you overtighten the screws for the H100? Try loosening the H100 screws a little.

The QLEDS are the four little ones beside the 24 pin power connector. Are any of them lit?

The screws for the H100 were loose and not tight at all.

The light for VTTDDR_CD is lit; to be honest, I never noticed it if was before while in the case.
Coolermaster HAF X Case, Asus Maximus IV Extreme, 64 GB Corsair Vengeance, Intel I7-3820, Samsung 256 SSD (Boot), 4 3 TB Western Digital Red HD in RAID 5 Config, 2 EVGA 660 TI Superclocked in SLI Mode, Coolermaster 1200 PSU

Chino
Level 15
The four QLEDS beside the 24 pin power connector from top to bottom, which of the 4 is lit? Boot, VGA, DRAM or CPU?