cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IV Extreme Bios, Sandybridge CPU Overview, and CPU Overclocking Guide

Retired
Not applicable
Maximus IV Extreme Bios and Sandybridge CPU Overview.
(Remember you Overclock at your own risk. ASUS is not held responsible for any damages that may occur)

******UPDATE******
NEW BIOS -RAJA@ASUS
1409 , changes Over 1407 – adds bios rom flash back -> from one rom to another -> to fix problem of BCLK unable to change.
‘System will shutdown to do BIOS Flashback. Do not turn off AC while you see the ROG Connect LED blinking. It will take up to 8 minutes, please be patient.’
http://www.freefilehosting.net/maxim...reme-asus-1409
******UPDATE******

First off, all ASUS P67 (sandybridge) motherboards now use a UEFI graphic user interface BIOS. This means you have a clean GUI layout with mouse support. We'll go through the bios screen shots along with some sandybridge cpu info

EZ mode is pretty easy. In a clean ROG theme, it simply shows you the important information you need like; Motherboard name, bios version, CPU type, memory type, cCPUfrequency, language options, CPU/MB temperatures, Voltage for the CPU your PSU voltage, and Fan speed. You also have a quick system performance for the novice for energy saving mode (basically down clocking your cpu), normal mode, and high performance (slight overclock)

You can also drag and drop your boot priority with your mouse. whether you have an optical drive, ssd, hdd, usb, etc. Just drag and drop in the order you want it to boot.

In Advanced mode, you get all of the features you would normally see in a bios but with the ROG theme and tweakable options.

CPU Level up gives you a quick overclock for your CPU. typically 2500k and 2600k can usually hit up to 4.8-5.0 ghz, this still gives you a safe range with auto settings.

Turbo Ratio allows you to set individual core ratios, or synchronize all cores at the same time.

Internal PLL Overvoltage. You can set this to enable to allow some additional overclocking headroom. Note that once you enable this function your sleep and hibernate will be disabled. With overvoltage enabled, most users should see their 2500k and 2600k hit 4.7-5.0ghz.

memory frequency shows you a list of frequencies.

Or you can set your Dram timings manually

GPU post / Dimm post shows you real time GPU lane configurations. You can see in real time what speeds your pci-e lanes are running at. No need to bug others whether or not you have the best configuration possible, figure it out yourself! haha Dimm post gives you real time memory frequencies.

In the CPU Ratio you can set this as auto or define the ratio for all cores.

Digi+VRM options

Load line calibration will stabilize CPU voltage under load. It will try and compensate for the Vdroop or drop in voltage that occurs.

Monitor your voltages, fan speed, configure fan profiles,

Save profiles

146 REPLIES 146

Retired
Not applicable
M4E will support Intel 22nm cpus ?

TheGeneral
Level 7
Hey all,

Awesome guide here and some very useful information! Thank you so much Brian and Raja.

So far using the guide ive managed a rather conservative first attempt of 4.7GHZ at 3.80v in the bios and its stable too, been running aida64 stress, pcmark loops and also intel burntest just to see how hot it gets! So far using this board has been a pleasure compared to others I have over-clocked with in the past, it just keeps posting!

Seeing Andressergio's results i think i may have to spend some more time soon and see how far i can go ;).

I have a question for you guys regarding Vcore (my first sandybridge over-clock). You stated in the guide that 1.4-1.425 seams to be the "sweet spot" and going any higher would just cause more harm than increase speed further. Would you consider this voltage range up to the 1.425v safe for long term usage? Providing the CPU is kept cool? I am on water cooling currently, and my current load temperatures using intel burn test are 60-62c TOPS after a good half hour of stress.

Im basically going to slowly see now how far my 2600k will go, and Id just like to have a set max "sensible" voltage to stop at while im doing this as my aim will be the highest stable clock i can run with 24/7. This is when i remembered your stated 1.4-1.425v sweet spot.

Many thanks, If any more information is needed when it comes to helping me push further I can provide it and or start a new thread as not to crowd this one, but so far im doing pretty good, no hiccups or walls yet!

Hope you guys don't mind helping me out as im exploring my maximums! 😄

TheGeneral

TheGeneral wrote:
Hey all,

Awesome guide here and some very useful information! Thank you so much Brian and Raja.

So far using the guide ive managed a rather conservative first attempt of 4.7GHZ at 3.80v in the bios and its stable too, been running aida64 stress, pcmark loops and also intel burntest just to see how hot it gets! So far using this board has been a pleasure compared to others I have over-clocked with in the past, it just keeps posting!

Seeing Andressergio's results i think i may have to spend some more time soon and see how far i can go ;).

I have a question for you guys regarding Vcore (my first sandybridge over-clock). You stated in the guide that 1.4-1.425 seams to be the "sweet spot" and going any higher would just cause more harm than increase speed further. Would you consider this voltage range up to the 1.425v safe for long term usage? Providing the CPU is kept cool? I am on water cooling currently, and my current load temperatures using intel burn test are 60-62c TOPS after a good half hour of stress.

Im basically going to slowly see now how far my 2600k will go, and Id just like to have a set max "sensible" voltage to stop at while im doing this as my aim will be the highest stable clock i can run with 24/7. This is when i remembered your stated 1.4-1.425v sweet spot.

Many thanks, If any more information is needed when it comes to helping me push further I can provide it and or start a new thread as not to crowd this one, but so far im doing pretty good, no hiccups or walls yet!

Hope you guys don't mind helping me out as im exploring my maximums! 😄

TheGeneral

thanks General

u can go as far as 1,45 LOADED IF temps are good you dont need to shoot your system PRIME or BLEND to blast it, just tune it and use BC2 as guide, if your OC passes 1hour gamming at max settings its ok 😉

problem starts when ppl (i respect all those who blend 9 hours and 2 hours linx) but from my personal tests i BSOD while playing some games even passed LINX and PRIME so...gamming heavy the real stress

good luck from here
Sergio

Oh well that's good to hear!

I've never been one to let prime run all night to be honest (id never sleep in-case it caught fire! lol!), as long as games and apps don't crash as you say that's fine by me lol! Ill dial it in for 1.4 ~ 1.425 and see how far i can go using some crysis 2 and arma 2 hehe.

Do you think the in-game bench's for these will be a good thing to loop for a while? if they are good for an hour ill start to play myself 😄

Thanks for the infos

*Edit*

Also, would this be with 75% or 100% LLC? I tend to run without speed-step as it can mess with some app's in my experience, so should I be wary of the overshoot? would the max be 1.45v including the little overshoot?

Or would you recommend going with speed step and or voltage offsets to be safe?

Again thx for any infos guys, these sandybridges are a whole new animal to my i7-950 hehe 😄

*Also*

Have to ask Andressario! How did you get two task bars one at the top and one at the bottom? AND Whats that cool gadget'y'mybob you have on your right of the screen? 😄

TheGeneral wrote:
Oh well that's good to hear!

I've never been one to let prime run all night to be honest (id never sleep in-case it caught fire! lol!), as long as games and apps don't crash as you say that's fine by me lol! Ill dial it in for 1.4 ~ 1.425 and see how far i can go using some crysis 2 and arma 2 hehe.

Do you think the in-game bench's for these will be a good thing to loop for a while? if they are good for an hour ill start to play myself 😄

Thanks for the infos

*Edit*

Also, would this be with 75% or 100% LLC? I tend to run without speed-step as it can mess with some app's in my experience, so should I be wary of the overshoot? would the max be 1.45v including the little overshoot?

Or would you recommend going with speed step and or voltage offsets to be safe?

Again thx for any infos guys, these sandybridges are a whole new animal to my i7-950 hehe 😄

*Also*

Have to ask Andressario! How did you get two task bars one at the top and one at the bottom? AND Whats that cool gadget'y'mybob you have on your right of the screen? 😄

i would not use offset ma mate, it needs more time than put a normal manual vcore, yes use 75% LLC and VRM 350. also try PLL om 1.7 and enable EIST and C1E

the taskbar on the top its free its Stardock Object Dock u can get here

http://www.stardock.com/products/objectdock/

the gadget to the left its

XDSystemA1.gadget u can google it easy to find

cheers !
Sergio

TheGeneral
Level 7
Awesome thanks a lot Sergio!

Will try this today!

One last question, was there anything else you changed in your Digi+ menus? Any chance of a screenshot?

Im at 4.8ghz right now with 1.425v in the bios (can probably go lower havent tried yet, just seeing how high a multi i can get on it.) It ran through crysis 2 benchmarks and PCmark Vantage all night so looks stable enough to me!

I was able to boot into windows at 5GHz, but it needed 1.45v in the bios and wasnt quite so stable. Didnt want to use any more Vcore than that, so any idias on what else I could try to make it work?

Many thanks again friend 🙂

TheGeneral wrote:
Awesome thanks a lot Sergio!

Will try this today!

One last question, was there anything else you changed in your Digi+ menus? Any chance of a screenshot?

Im at 4.8ghz right now with 1.425v in the bios (can probably go lower havent tried yet, just seeing how high a multi i can get on it.) It ran through crysis 2 benchmarks and PCmark Vantage all night so looks stable enough to me!

I was able to boot into windows at 5GHz, but it needed 1.45v in the bios and wasnt quite so stable. Didnt want to use any more Vcore than that, so any idias on what else I could try to make it work?

Many thanks again friend 🙂

no problem friend

yeah i have 75% LLC and VRM 350 nothing more

remember no chip are equal, so maybe our batch needs a bump on vcore

cheers and good luck
Sergio

TheGeneral
Level 7
Awesome thanks! 🙂

Will let you guys know how I get along!

*Update*

Well had a good go at it!

But looks like what i already got (4.8GHz @ 1.425v) is going to be the best i can do for long term usage, still pleased with that though! 🙂

In order to boot at 4.9Ghz i need at least 1.44v and 5Ghz needed over 1.45 (like 1.46-1.47) so i didn't think it was worth it for ~100-200 Mhz hehe, would only be hurting it over time i guess.

Thanks for the ideas anyway! guess I just got given an "average" chip 😛

boton
Level 7
Hi guys...Is there any way to give more than 1.80 vdimm when benching? 1902,1409,1850 bioses are used...
Thnx

owikh8464
Level 7
How to set iGPU to run at 3000MHz?
iGPU offset voltage? +/-?
on auto I can do up to 2150MHz only, 2200 will hang/driver lost during video transcoding..
i7 3960X + 3930K | WC | 2x Asus RIVE | 2x RipjawsZ 2400C9 4X4GB + RipjawsX 2200C7 2X2GB + RipjawsX 2133C8 4X2GB + DomGT 2kC7 3X2GB + PID 2kC6 3X2GB | 3x GTX580 SLI WC | 2x Crucial M4 128GB raid0 + 2x CaviarBlack 1TB | AX1200 | Z-5500 + Xonar D2X | 3008WFP | Inverted LD PC V8
WC: 2-loop | EK HF + 2x MCP655V EK-TOP + 2x EK 250 X2 Adv + 3x Quad 480 Rads | 3x EK FC580GTX+ | 16x GT 1850