cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus IV Extreme Bios Failure please assist

Draake187
Level 7
wish i had known this site existed..anyhow my first post sorry its not going to be a fun one. anyhow current issue is both my bios1 and bios2 were updated too Version 3208 x64. (what it currently says when i boot up bios)

since i flashed to this new bios i have yet to boot up windows a single time..right after mobo splash screen everything goes black for a few seconds then screen fills partially with 99 99 99 99 99 99 99. im then forced to either power down or Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

I've tried to flash via ROG connect every single other version of bios available for this mobo but upon getting to read the ROM file in EZ flash it says "Image Outdated" or "Image Integrity Check Failed" the only bios it actually attempts to update is the 3208 version.

i followed procedure to update twice with 3208 but after the initial flash the system reboots but doesn't attempt to flash the 2nd time as stated in your procedure. i tried to reset Cmos but i end right back at the black screen filled with 9's

system specs:
Maximus IV Extreme
win7 ultimate 64bit
16g g skill ripjaw 2133
asus 7970 card
7 REPLIES 7

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Welcome to the Forums and uhh, if you look at the box your Mobo came in or even the back of the user manual, you will see the website is there...retardedly in a lighter red color.....anyways!!! on to trying to help you out.....

I would suggest, though it is too late for it now...to never flash both BIOSes as the 2nd is meant to be a backup in case something goes awry and you can then copy the 2nd BIOS back to the 1st.

So what I would recommend is, you download the oldest listed BIOS from the website, switch your mobo to run from the 2nd BIOS and try to reflash the 2nd BIOS using RoG Connect's BIOS flashback...making sure you name the ROM file as MIVE and the file is on a FAT Formatted USB Stick.

Give that a go and let me know what happens 🙂

seems your right about the website being on the manual shows how observant i am lol.

anyhow before registering on this website i have had some help from user KILLER_K who i met on Overclock.net. he ran me through a ton of things to try and the last one finally worked. ended up getting the bios from the disc the board came with version 1409. i'd like to use a newer version but im now terrified to change anything lol.

onw last issue i'd like to discuss not major but would like to know whats really going on:

prior to bios issue happening about 1 week before when i go to boot up and the windows loading screen doesn't show anymore it just sits at a black screen about as long as it would the windows loading screen until the home desktop suddenly appears. any fix for this?

also i am rather new to overclocking and im very interested in seeing what this 2700k has to offer along with the 7970. any guides u recommend to manual overclocking?

system specs:
Maximus IV Extreme
I 2700k
win7 ultimate 64bit
16g g skill ripjaw 2133
asus 7970 card

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Good to hear you got it going and as a note that many members will tell you, it is generally a good idea to not Flash your BIOS, unless you know the update contains a fix...unfortunately ASUS dont put up change logs with the BIOS updates so you can find out if you need to update or not. As for your little issue with the screen blacking out then showing the login screen...I do not know the cause of this, as I too experienced it with my Rig and I have as yet figured out why it happens.

On the subject of over clocking, do you have just the stock cooler that came with your CPU, or are you using an aftermarket one? also are you considering something like Water Cooling?

The reason I ask, is you won't get very far in OC'ing on a stock fan. An aftermarket one will give you more head room to play and a setup with liquid cooling gives you some more room to play. As for guides, I suggest you look through the important red highlighted threads in the Maximus Sub-forums 🙂

yes i built this PC about 2 months ago for overclocking purposes currently have the H70 liquid cooler inside the CM HAFx case with as many fans u can put in this thing as possible overheating is the least of my issues right now i am always paying attention to my temps.

System specs
i 2700k
h70 liquid cooling
Asus 7970 3g card
16g G skill Ripjaw X (2133)

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Ahh nice, well it's good to hear you thought everything out properly 🙂

Check this thread out to get you going
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2157-Maximus-IV-Extreme-Bios-Sandybridge-CPU-Overview-and-C...

hey quick question about the link u sent me. i noticed that each picture doesn't really tell you what u should change in the settings only a description of what each feature does. also it said a few times the modifications were set for the i 2500k and 2600k.

i have the 2700k. am i suppose to just match my settings to what the poster posted in that guide? (i know the ram is different i can figure that part out) but im not sure about all the changes in the voltages and frequencies.

if there is a guide for a 2700k over clock with the same mobo i have let me know if not i'll do my best to try and figure it out off the link u sent me.

Draake187 wrote:
hey quick question about the link u sent me. i noticed that each picture doesn't really tell you what u should change in the settings only a description of what each feature does. also it said a few times the modifications were set for the i 2500k and 2600k.

i have the 2700k. am i suppose to just match my settings to what the poster posted in that guide? (i know the ram is different i can figure that part out) but im not sure about all the changes in the voltages and frequencies.

if there is a guide for a 2700k over clock with the same mobo i have let me know if not i'll do my best to try and figure it out off the link u sent me.

It does'nt matter if you have a 2500k,2600k,or 2700k the settings will be the same,or thereabouts,but what works for some will not work for all,no 2 cpu's are the same,so you will need to tinker with things,the link you were told to loook at is just to get you on the right road.:)
ASUS CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z
AMD FX 8350 (1252)
INTEL CORE I7 2600K (3134A867)
ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME-Z (0002)

OCZ VERTEX 3 120 SSD
GIGABYTE 890FXA UD7 REV 2.1 (F3)
GIGABYTE 890FXA UD7 REV 2.0 (F3)
VARIOUS AMD CPU's
8 GIG G-SKILL SNIPER LOW VOLTAGE 1600
4 GIG G-SKILL RIPJAWS X 2133 C9
8 GIG CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1600 C8 (HYNIX)
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 800D