cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maximus hero vii - windows wont boot after memory upgrade

Multisync
Level 7
I have to start off by saying i love this board. I coupled it with a 4790k and its light years ahead of my Phenom II lol. When i first built the setup i had G.SKILL ripjaw 1600 2x8gb and windows would only boot if i had it in the 2 right most slots, other than that the system worked flawlessly. The time came and i had to add another 2x8 gb sticks to it and now it will not boot. I have tried the XMP profile, manually clocking it, taking the 4x8gb kit out of my other OC and
nothing works. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this subject. If i pull 4 sticks out, and only insert 2 in the right most slots, it still goes into window.
7 REPLIES 7

InfernoStorm
Level 10
Hi Multi,

So any of the memory sticks in the first two slots and the system will not boot up? Have you tried just one stick at a time and trying all 4 sticks? If the results are the same then it's likely a motherboard issue. You should contact ASUS support for RMA if the MB is still under warranty. I'm sure they'll probably recommend that you try updating the BIOS, but it probably won't fix the issue. Doesn't hurt to try, I guess.

Nate152
Hello Multisync

Welcome to the ROG forum !

It could be an over tightened cpu cooler/waterblock or you may have a couple bent cpu socket pins.

Try loosening the cooler a touch and if that doesn't help, remove the cooler and cpu and inspect the cpu socket with a magnifying glass in good light to see if you have any bent or misaligned pins. Look close and carefully and make sure they are ALL evenly spaced.

Multisync
Level 7
yes i have tried one stick at a time, and every other possible combination you can think of lol will check for bent pins in the morning

Multisync
Level 7
Thought of one other thing that i forgot to mention as i was laying in bed last night, the thing that really boggles my mind is that that bios DOES see 32 gb of ram, windows just refuses to load with it. I am running Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

NemesisChild
Level 12
You should not be running unmatched sets of memory, even if they're the same make & model.
Memory should be purchased in dual channel sets and not mixed & unmatched.
There have been some posts regarding two sticks running in one dual channel slot and not the other.

Is there a particular reason why you need 32GB versus 16GB?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Multisync
Level 7
I pulled the matched 32 gb kit from my other PC and still does not work. I need more than 16 but anything past 29 chrome profiles leaves about 7 mb of free ram.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Hi Multisync,

When Windows is not working are any messages being displayed?

Nate152 has a point that I would investigate. There has been memory issues on the AMD-based boards where the water cooling block was over-tighten with the Corsair H100i. If nothing else pull this system out of the case and bench test it.

Keep us posted on your progress too please; always curious to find out what the problem was/is.

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]