cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Hero VI CPU Fan Error

Jurge92
Level 7
Hi!

I'm having this annoying problem with my brand new gaming rig. I keep getting this CPU fan error every time I boot up my PC. I have to press F1 and exit the BIOS to get passed it. It's not that big of a deal, but a little bit annoying since the PC is brand new.

My rig is as follow:

i5 4670k with Hyper 212 Evo
Maximus Vi Hero
Sapphire Tri-X R9 290
1x SSD
Cooler Master V550S

I have tried switching between the fan_opt port and the cpu_fan port with no luck. I also tried updating the BIOS, but when I try to read the update file, I get this "Cant read file" error.

Anyone have any suggestions?
i5 4670K || Hyper 212 Evo || Maximus VI Hero || Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 || Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB || CM V750S || Asus VG248QE 144 Hz || Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 1600 || NZXT H440 (Black/Red) || Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
13 REPLIES 13

ThunderBoy0750
Level 7
What exactly is the error? Also i had something similar, did you plug in the fan from the cooler to the cpu fan 4 pin socket or to the opt_fan/ cha_fan. If you did, put it in the cpu_fan socket.

Jurge92
Level 7
As far as I know, it's only a display error. As stated in my OP, I've tried switching between the fan_opt port and the cpu_fan port with no luck. It's currently in the cpu_fan socket.
i5 4670K || Hyper 212 Evo || Maximus VI Hero || Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 || Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB || CM V750S || Asus VG248QE 144 Hz || Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 1600 || NZXT H440 (Black/Red) || Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

ThunderBoy0750
Level 7
Have you tried replacing the fan on the cooler with a different one?

Jurge92
Level 7
No. I wouldn't think that would be necessary.

Nate152
Hi Jurge92, In the BIOS there should be a setting called Q fan. Disable this, This will make the cpu fan run at 100%, then you can set the cpu fan speed to ignore and you won't get the message again.

GreggMack
Level 9
I had this problem with my Noctua CPU fan as well. To "fix" it, I made a very simple UEFI (BIOS) change. Go to the Monitor screen. Go down to the Fan Speed Control. I left my CPU Q-Fan Control on Auto, but changed the CPU Fan Speed Low Limit down from 600 RPM to 400 RPM.

Jurge92
Level 7
Thanks for replies!

I did disable the Q-Fan and chose to ignore the monitoring. This caused the CPU fan to run at 100%, which is too loud. So I instead set the Q-Fan Control on Auto, as stated by GreggMack, but set the CPU fan speed to ignore. At this time, the error does not show up. It does seem to have worked, if it falls back to it's previous state, I will change the fan limit down to 400 RPM.

Back to my second question in the OP: "...I tried updating the BIOS, but when I try to read the update file, I get this "Cant read file" error."

Does anyone know why this is? Also, will I get any advantages by updating the BIOS at this time?

Jurge92 wrote:
Thanks for replies!

I did disable the Q-Fan and chose to ignore the monitoring. This caused the CPU fan to run at 100%, which is too loud. So I instead set the Q-Fan Control on Auto, as stated by GreggMack, but set the CPU fan speed to ignore. At this time, the error does not show up. It does seem to have worked, if it falls back to it's previous state, I will change the fan limit down to 400 RPM.

Back to my second question in the OP: "...I tried updating the BIOS, but when I try to read the update file, I get this "Cant read file" error."

Does anyone know why this is? Also, will I get any advantages by updating the BIOS at this time?

Instead of disabling the CPU Fan monitor, lower the CPU Fan Speed Low Limit. The reason is simple. If your fans do fail one day and they will, the system will give you a warning that the fan is not working. Otherwise you won't know until you get sudden shutdowns due to overheating.

Regarding BIOS updates, do not update just to have the latest and greatest. BIOS updates are for fixing specific issues not for show.

Nate152
It is recommended to update your bios only if you are having stability or compatibility issues, otherwise it is not needed.

Steps to update your bios:
1. download the bios from the Asus website
2. Format a usb flashdrive in FAT32
3. Extract the bios file and rename the file to M6F.CAP
4. Put the bios file on your usb flashdrive
5. Connect the usb flashdrive to the usb port that is below the usb flashback button
6. press the usb flashback button for 3 seconds until the led starts blinking, then release
7. wait for the led to stop blinking
8. Start your machine