cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Hero VI AI Suite III 4-Way Optimization and Adaptive Power/Clockspeed Issues

socaldj
Level 7
So I have to start off with you guys really put a lot into this board, I'm VERY impressed and the level of detail is amazing! I'm looking forward to throwing this new system through the ringer this weekend and see where I end up.

Maybe it's because things have changed quite a bit since I was working with my last board/cpu (P55/i860) but I'm having some issues with the new setup and since well there's not a ton of information out there just yet that I could find in forums I wanted to ask you guys.

So I installed the system this weekend, 4770k Maximus Hero VI. But I didn't have the right bracket for the water block so I just installed the stock intel heatsink. I got everything up and running and all was good. The CPU throttled as needed to slower speeds/voltages and it helped keep things cool while I waited for the waterblock.

So last night I installed the water loop and let it run, this morning I finished installing everything and booted it back up.

The problem is that the CPU no longer throttled down. It just keeps chugging along at 3.5 or 3.9 whatever it's set at, even with the 'adaptive' settings checked in CPU Core Voltage/Cache Voltage under TPU in the AI Suite III and Active Frequency mode on and CPU Power Phase control set to optimized.

I want to be able to have the system run these enhanced states when possible since it gets pretty hot where I live and in my office during summer.

Another thing I noticed was that in the video you guys posted on using the 4-Way Optimization there was a process the software/board used to overclock the system. When I try to run the optimization process, all it does is allow me to set to 4.2/4.4/4.6 there is no dynamic options. I was really looking forward to using these two features in conjunction to help with a good overclock that adjusts due to circumstances or by selecting the different profiles.

Please help me figure out what I'm doing wrong!

Screenshots of the issues are attached!

i7-4470k Batch#: L312B332
4.5GHZ @ 1.2 vcore 24/7 Gaming
ROG Maximus Hero VI
Corsair 16gb @ 1600 mHz
EK Supremacy CSQ, EK Mosfet, & EK Chipset blocks
Dual Radiators 240mm and 360mm
EVGA SC 770 GTX - Koolance waterblock
Monsoon S2 Premium D5 Reservoir
39 REPLIES 39

Tarien
Level 7
Hello Raja, thanks for the reply. My question is really concerning the autotuning seemingly missing from the release version compared to the overclocking guides you guys released. Its not a major gripe as the preset got me close enough that with some tweaks I hit my thermal ceiling with minor adjustments but as it was such a talked about point I think some detail where it went would be great.

Just for clarity http://youtu.be/BoaAT5TkXc4?t=12m6s on that link the autotuning is shown with a few different options, Ratio only, BCLK FIrst etc and it runs a cycle on the TPU section to find a stable clock. In the actual release version (and the one on the website) there are 3 presets (4.2/4.4/4.6) and it skips immediately to EPU tuning after starting leading me to believe it simply sets the preset values and continues.

You can see in the comments to that video that there are others commenting that this option actually doesnt exist and is replaced by presets that look very much like CPU Level Up from the previous generations.

I definitely wouldnt want the software to run a full 6 hour OCCT cycle to verify after, I'll do that myself 🙂

Raja
Level 13
Not all boards support full 4-way as shown in the video. That video is not from the Hero board. The ROG boards don't have the Extreme tuning option like the channel boards do. Simply cos of hardware and the target audience.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Not all boards support full 4-way as shown in the video. That video is not from the Hero board. The ROG boards don't have the Extreme tuning option like the channel boards do. Simply cos of hardware and the target audience.

At no point has it been made clear in your marketing that the ROG boards don't have the auto tuning that made me choose Asus in the first place. All your videos and press releases just talk about this amazing AI Suite 3 on Z87 boards that can automatically get 95% out of your CPU overclocking.

So i went and bought the Formula VI. What am i meant to do now! Can't take it back as its been installed. All the 'standard pre-sets' just blue screen my machine. It wasn't even easy to get AI Suite up and running as the CD in the box didn't run properly, i managed to find an update to download which wasn't easy to find, why is there not an auto update function on this software? There isn't even a check for updates button.

So suggestions?

Oberoth wrote:
All the 'standard pre-sets' just blue screen my machine.

After clearing (resetting) the UEFI start with the 4200MHz preset. If you CPU is not capable of running stable once that preset has finished either lower the CPU multiplier or raise the CPU voltage some. Whichever of the two you are more comfortable doing and retest for stability.

Oberoth wrote:
At no point has it been made clear in your marketing that the ROG boards don't have the auto tuning that made me choose Asus in the first place. All your videos and press releases just talk about this amazing AI Suite 3 on Z87 boards that can automatically get 95% out of your CPU overclocking.

So i went and bought the Formula VI. What am i meant to do now! Can't take it back as its been installed. All the 'standard pre-sets' just blue screen my machine. It wasn't even easy to get AI Suite up and running as the CD in the box didn't run properly, i managed to find an update to download which wasn't easy to find, why is there not an auto update function on this software? There isn't even a check for updates button.

So suggestions?

i'm so mad about this as well. features of the ai suite is a big reason for me buying the Hero. and now when i see people tell that it causes all those issues and tell us to use the bios instead, feels like it is all false marketing. they should have mentioned that ROG boards don't support these advanced features.

Raja
Level 13
The AI Suite temps are for PECI reporting. If you want DTS temps, then one of the other third party tools is best. I would advise turning off sensors in AI Suite if you run other polling tools though as it creates polling contention at the super IO.

-Raja

skarpuk
Level 7
I am disappointing asus, only option I have contact retailer and ask full refund for board only pay for design not worth...

HiVizMan
Level 40
OP how did your OC go this weekend. If you want to do BIOS based OC that is the best way of doing a 24/7 OC. The AISuite III software is a huge improvement over what I have used before.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

kaefers
Level 7
If you take away the CPU optimization from the UBER marketed 4 (four)-Way Optimization, then all you are left with is some EPU nonesense, bit of fan lala, and Digi+ stuff. When checking in UEFI later, there is no actual Digi+ changing, just LLC to max - wow - epic fail Asus.

If you read on the product website from my Maximus VI Formula, it says this 3-Way, sorry, 4-Way Optimization will actually get to within 95% of what the CPU is capable of. Ya, and I am Superman. Seriously, worst FALSE marketing I have actually experienced myself in a long time.

How about some dude comes around and changes the UEFI for me for two days straight, since, and I quote from the Asus website "a process that typically could take up to 2 days to manually overclock" - given the software does not do as advertised.

Luckily I can still return this board.
ASUS Maximus VII Impact • Intel 4790K • 2x8GB Mushkin 997122R • Zotac 1080 Ti Mini • Samsung 970 Pro • Corsair SF 750 • NZXT Kraken X52 • NZXT H200i • Ducky Shine 5 • Logitech MX Performance • Logitech H800 • 2x Eizo EV2736W • Windows, Ubuntu

kaefers wrote:
Luckily I can still return this board.

If your that unhappy that would be my suggestion.