cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus 4 extreme z intel raid

kan-ipshi-t
Level 7
hi i bought this board here^ flashed most recent bios, and am having some issues setting up my raid volumes. ive tried switching sata mode to raid in bios, turning on and off the hot plug feature for the desired drives turning on and off the raid mode in the onboard devices screen for both marvel and jmicron, and reconstructing the raid volume everytime i change something, the hdd's plugged into the appropriate intel sata plugs ( the 4 plugs to the left), downloaded intel raid drivers right from asus's website, used the drivers straight from the mb support disk, tried copying the files to a thumb drive, and i cant seem to get windows to want to install to this raid array. it recognizes the intel raid driver and acknowledges that it is for the array and i can see it but still gives me the message that it cannot be installed to this disk, the computers hardware may not support booting from this disk, please ensure the disks controller is enabled in the bios, any ideas folks?
5 REPLIES 5

KILLER_K
Level 10
How many drives are you using for raid? If it is just raid-, then just use the two red to the left of the black ports. Go in the bios and change it to raid from the ahci. Then once you boot, you'll see the intel raid configuration menu. If I'm thinking correctly it is . Then you add the two drives to the array. Save and exit , unless you would like to change the stripe size.

Then you should see the drives show in the menu and once you get into windows. You can check to see if the drives sow as one. If you are installing a os on the intel. Then you don't need a driver. So just install start the install and it will format it as one drive. Thanks

sorry took so long to get back to ya, wrapping up finals at school, so ive got 3, 500gig hdds that in my old system i had set up as one array, designated to the operating systems, and 2, 1.5gig hdds set up as one array designated to my media. both of these were striping arrays. anyway i went through the whole intel setup during post and was able to get all the os array "noticed" in the windows setup screen, it told me i needed a driver for it though, its windows 7 but i bought it pretty much when it was released, maybe it doesnt have required drivers included? i downloaded raid drivers from ROG website, Asus support, and directly from intel, as well as used the supplied mobo support disk, the installer accepts these as compatible drivers and takes me back to the select a drive to install screen but still gives me the message that windows cannot be installed to this disk because the proper drivers are not loaded or it is not set as a bootable device or something like that. ive confirmed in the bios that in fact it has top priority in the boot list, and the device is active, so im lost. O_o

When you get to the part where windows asks you what drive you want to install to,is your array seen,if so,have you tried the "drive options" section,select Format,then "Delete",then select "new" and then apply,then continue with install.
ASUS CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z
AMD FX 8350 (1252)
INTEL CORE I7 2600K (3134A867)
ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME-Z (0002)

OCZ VERTEX 3 120 SSD
GIGABYTE 890FXA UD7 REV 2.1 (F3)
GIGABYTE 890FXA UD7 REV 2.0 (F3)
VARIOUS AMD CPU's
8 GIG G-SKILL SNIPER LOW VOLTAGE 1600
4 GIG G-SKILL RIPJAWS X 2133 C9
8 GIG CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1600 C8 (HYNIX)
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 800D
CORSAIR HX1000W PSU
2X RADEON HD6970'S XFIRE
4X SAMSUNG F3 1T HDD's 2X RAID 0
CUSTOM WATERCOOLING

moorhen2 wrote:
When you get to the part where windows asks you what drive you want to install to,is your array seen,if so,have you tried the "drive options" section,select Format,then "Delete",then select "new" and then apply,then continue with install.

hey ya i figured it out and for some reason the account i was using is messed up, anyway, i had the default boot device set to the odd, which is how i always configure every system ive built, i just changed it to my intel array and overrided the default boot device to the odd, then windows let use the disk, but thx for the input, this is one bad*** board!

deseroner
Level 7
i have 3 80gb intel 310 ssd and 1 x25m intel ssd 80gb 4 ssd raid 0 , i use the left red connections not the gray ones.m4ivz
maximus extreme iv-z bios 3204
i7 3770k at 4.7 1.35v ivy baby:)
Kingston hyperx genesis 16gb at 2400mhz 12-13-12-32-2
antec kuhler 920.
antec three hundred case
ram fan cooler
corsair psu 850
2xsli gtx670 ftw
raid 0-4 ssd intel 320 80gb x3/intel x25-m 80gb x1