cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximums VI Formula Graphics Problems

Exosome
Level 7
I have just rebuilt my system using an Intel i7-4771, 16GB RAM (Crucial Ballistix) and an Asus Maximus VI Formula motherboard and running Windows 8.1. I have been unable to install an optional graphics card. I tried initially to install my old Radeon X 1950 Pro but couldn't find any suitable drivers, so instead bought a GeForce GTX 660Ti, the board also built by Asus. At best, on installation of the optional graphics card, the computer does not recognise my Dell U2312HM monitor, but runs under a generic monitor, leaving me with a small image in the middle of my screen. At worst, the system will not boot, and in the middle will not switch on the monitor. The on-board graphics do recognise the monitor correctly and the image fills the screen, however there are still significant issues. YouTube, BBC iPlayer and 4OD regularly drop frames, BBC iPlayer does so even on content downloaded locally. DVD playback is better, although clearly jerky. Games are temperamental. It often has the appearance of a memory issue as the computer can appear sluggish, but all memory is recognised. All drivers and software are up to date, as is the BIOS. If anybody can suggest a solution I would be most grateful.
11 REPLIES 11

HiVizMan
Level 40
Please list all your hardware.

Fit the discrete VGA and connect the cable to your PC monitor. If you are using a TV screen please list the make and model.

Now once you have done this, do a clear CMOS. This will force your system to use the defaults which are auto to find your vga.

The other stuff we can deal with once we have this sorted.

If you have used an old OS with your new system I would strongly suggest a new OS install for this motherboard and CPU
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

OK, in addition I have a Corsair CX 500 500W power supply, a Samsung 840 PRO SSD (main system HDD), a Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB HDD (secondary HDD and a Samsung DVD-RW.

I reset the CMOS, it did recognise the monitor when I put the 660Ti in, although still left me with the 1.5" black border all around the image on the screen. Updating the graphics drivers (from the CD, those downloaded from NVIDIA failed to install) caused the system to fail to boot.

This was a new, clean install of Windows 8.1.

Nate152

HiVizMan
Level 40
Once you do your clear CMOS and boot into OS - WIn8.1 will automatically do the driver install for you. Does this happen?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

It does do a driver install for the graphics card and the monitor. However, as I say, something is still wrong as the actual image that should be the whole of the monitor has a large black border around it. This does not happen with the on-board graphics, however, as I say, in the latter case, the graphics are very jerky and video drops frames.

Exosome
Level 7
I don't think this is a Windows problem, as the black border appears at the BIOS screen immediately upon start-up of the computer.

Just tried it again. Same result. I'm guessing there's some problem with either the motherboard or the graphics card, and I assume Asus will refund me. This is pretty shocking. My new computer is actually less reliable and can do less than the 7 year-old machine it replaced.

Exosome wrote:
I don't think this is a Windows problem, as the black border appears at the BIOS screen immediately upon start-up of the computer.

Hello

This is normal and expected behavior with nVidia chipsets when connected to some monitors until booted into the operating system with proper drivers loaded. As to the other issues they appear to be related to general system instability. I would start with a basic working configuration and properly test each subsystem for stability.

Praz wrote:
Hello

This is normal and expected behavior with nVidia chipsets when connected to some monitors until booted into the operating system with proper drivers loaded. As to the other issues they appear to be related to general system instability. I would start with a basic working configuration and properly test each subsystem for stability.

OK, fair enough.

I don't think I've ever had what I would call a "basic, working configuration" with this system. What I'm running is about as basic as it gets, and it's never worked properly.