cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max VII Gene Intel USB3.0 Issues

chartiet
Level 7
I think I have another USB3.0/Win8.1 issues thread for you guys, and really appreciate some help and/or advice.

I’m having some USB3.0 problems with an external drive and the board. Running Win8.1 64-bit. External is a Seagate ST1000LM024 with a Samsung HN-M101MBB internal (Spinpoint M8). Firmware v2BA30003.

1) I am having connect/reconnect issues while the external drive is at idle and during file transfers as well as slow file transfer speeds with the Intel chipset controlled 20-pin USB3.0 mobo header. I verified it’s not the case ports with another 20-pin header cable.

2) I am also having trouble with slow file transfer speeds (but not connect/reconnect issues) with the two rear Intel chipset controlled USB3.0 mobo ports.

I am not having any issues however with the two remaining rear ASMedia controlled USB3.0 mobo ports. USB2 devices work as expected on all ports (including the USB3.0 case ports via the mobo header) with no connection or transfer speed issues what so ever.

Updating all drivers has not helped at all. Also updating from 2702 to 3003 bios did not help.

Asus Turbo Boost has not improved transfer speeds at all.

I have verified the external drive (as well as its cable) is working fine on other computers and that it's firmware is up to date as far as I know.

Other things I’ve tried… Disabling RST in bios, making sure drives don’t sleep/always on in Power Settings, unchecking “turn device off to save power”, checked “better performance”, enabled write caching, disabled “selective suspend”….

Maybe only thing left is trying some third party drivers or last resort RMA’ing. Is the chipset/USB (MoBo) messed up or is it an external drive incompatibility issue? Is it an Intel driver issue with Win8 that maybe updating to Win10 would fix? Is there anything else I can try or do I just live with this? Etc…

Thanks all.
31 REPLIES 31

Black_Phoenix
Level 8
I had the same problems and was the Intel Driver Problems, remove it, disable auto driver updates from Windows and reinstall the last version available from Asus website for your motherboard.

I think I did this.? Uninstalled the 1x Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller and the 1x USB USB Root Hub (xHCI) from Device Manager (loose mouse lol), restart, they reappear right away without installing windows updates, then install latest driver from Asus.

Although, you mention "disable auto driver updates". Is that different than the usual windows updates. I can give this a shot again but may need a hand held. Do I uninstall the 2x Intel 9 Series Chipset..... Controllers?

What else is interesting is the drivers from Asus are either ASMedia USB only or just for the chipset, the Intel USB driver is handled through Windows/MS I think.

Thanks

Black_Phoenix
Level 8
No, supposedly the Chipset ones includes the USB drivers. Look here for Intel ones:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/65855/Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Controller-Driver

Uninstall the chipset drivers from Intel after had downloaded this above and the latest chipset on Asus website.

Restart, Install both and disable windows drivers automatic updates.

Cool. Thanks. Which chipset/USB3.0 drivers do I uninstall exactly?

In Device Manager, I see;
2x Intel 9 Series Chipset..... Controller
1x Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller
1x USB USB Root Hub (xHCI)

Black_Phoenix
Level 8
In the Add Remove window, uninstall the Intel Series drivers (Includes the USB Root Host and both Intel 9 Series Chipset controllers), and if you don't have the Intel USB 3.0 extensible host there, remove the device by uninstalling it in the Device manager, restart with the Internet disconnected, reinstall the files you download and restart again, disabling the Automatic Driver Update.

Gotcha. I assume before that final restart, I disable the Automatic Driver Update?

Reason I ask, even when the internet was disconnected, the drivers would still just reinstall themselves after I uninstalled them, which was frustrating.

Ill give this a shot in a couple hours after work. I really appreciate your help. I would be great to have more than two working USB3 ports 😛

Black Phoenix wrote:
In the Add Remove window, uninstall the Intel Series drivers (Includes the USB Root Host and both Intel 9 Series Chipset controllers), and if you don't have the Intel USB 3.0 extensible host there, remove the device by uninstalling it in the Device manager, restart with the Internet disconnected, reinstall the files you download and restart again, disabling the Automatic Driver Update.

I assume its the "Intel Management Engine Components" that has the Intel USB drivers to be uninstalled via Add/Remove Programs?

Black_Phoenix
Level 8
One way of forcing the uninstall of any driver is by using this in the device properties:

If it appears again as soon you right click on top of any device and choose "Scan for Hardware Changes" and reinstall his driver, proceed again the same time until the hardware appears with a Yellow Mark. But normally 2 or 3 times is enough.

I would deactivate the Automatic Driver Update after everything installed or before I started uninstalling, but always with the internet turned off.

What it's important is simply remove any trace, being Intel or Microsoft WHCP driver.

Ok. Ill give her a shot. Ill either be back saying it didn't work (probably messed something up and may have additional questions) or it worked and I'm sending you a fruit basket.

Add: Thank you for your help and patience with me.