cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Max IV E] - Post Code 2E - Mem Related?

RagingCain
Level 7
Only have a set of G.Skill Tridents to play with at the moment, but can anyone suggest anything?

Can't post no matter what I try. I assume this is memory related due to LED initialize stuck on DRAM. Tried reseating everything. Tried single Dimm in A2. Tried the Memory GO button, does not work. Cleared CMOS. Reseated the CPU again. Tried BIOS1 / BIOS2.... Powers up to 2E freezes for 15 seconds, then reboots to freeze on 2E again, and then just stays there until turned off.

G.Skill Trident:
F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD (on compatibility list too)
Rated: 9-9-9-27 @ 1.6v

Motherboard:
Maximus IV Extreme P67 Rev 3.0

CPU:

Thanks, RC
19 REPLIES 19

Same here! I did the same but seeing the board give when i was pushing almost gave me a stroke! From now on memory goes in before i mount the board to the case so a can put back pressure on the other side.

braheem wrote:
I agree. But even so, acknowledging the design, on even the first try and all subsequent attempts I made sure to push the bottom half of the ram stick in, but the force you actually need to use is what I suppose no one would be used to, but I guess it is my fault for assuming it was inserted correctly without hearing the click.

They definitely need a sticky, i've seen at least 3 threads before this one where I read that someone had not inserted their ram correctly and I paid no attention to it, assuming that there was no way I made that mistake.
"Those who are willing to give up freedom for security deserve neither"
Ben Franklin

Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z
Intel I7-2700K OC to 4.7 @ 1.330 volts
2X EVGA 660TI SLI
G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz
2x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD. Raid 0. 1 500gb WD VelociRaptor
Antec Gamers edition Bronze rated PSU 750 Watts
Corsair H80 Closed loop CPU cooler
Dragon Test Bench Case

I've tried everything and nothing's working. I'm using a different board (PZ68 Deluxe Gen3) and have 6 sticks of DRAM to play with (4x 4gb ripjaws and 2x Corsair vengeances).

Yes I've made sure they clicked when I put them in. Still gives 2E.

However, it works perfectly fine when I put my vengeances into slots A_2 and B_2. it's anything in A_1 and B_1 that makes that 2E. The other 2 slots give me a 60 and boots fine. This is including all configurations using the ripjaws as well.

But RAM in consecutive slots is not cool. Any help please? I don't want to RMA it 😞

Kronvict
Level 9
Im glad i was able to help. I was tearing my hair out trying to figure it out at first.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Remove your CPU and check out the pins there might be one that is slightly off centre. Or you could just have han uneven pressure on your CPU mount. That can cause the problem you are having too.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I'll try that, but why would the CPU mount affect the ram slots?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Because the CPU is the memory controller, if the CPU is not making perfect contact of has uneven pressure the slots get lost. Quite a common problem since the introduction of on die memory controller.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

So I tried reseating the CPU, and it's still not working. I'm planning on trying another CPU, maybe at a shop or something. Hopefully it's not a faulty motherboard *cry*

HiVizMan
Level 40
Since you said you have used two different motherboards it is unlikely to be the motherboard.

I haven't used 2 motherboards. I've tried RAM, Powersupply and just reseating the CPU.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Folks do not expect to need to use so much pressure, but you have to hear the double click when fitting ram. I am pleased that ROG forum was able to help you SlyFox welcome to the ROG and stay awhile and say hi and browse.