cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Max IV E] - Post Code 2E - Mem Related?

RagingCain
Level 7
Only have a set of G.Skill Tridents to play with at the moment, but can anyone suggest anything?

Can't post no matter what I try. I assume this is memory related due to LED initialize stuck on DRAM. Tried reseating everything. Tried single Dimm in A2. Tried the Memory GO button, does not work. Cleared CMOS. Reseated the CPU again. Tried BIOS1 / BIOS2.... Powers up to 2E freezes for 15 seconds, then reboots to freeze on 2E again, and then just stays there until turned off.

G.Skill Trident:
F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD (on compatibility list too)
Rated: 9-9-9-27 @ 1.6v

Motherboard:
Maximus IV Extreme P67 Rev 3.0

CPU:

Thanks, RC
19 REPLIES 19

Raja
Level 13
Try an empty CPU socket CMOS clear with all power removed from the board.

-Raja

Retired
Not applicable
Hello all new here...and stumbled upon this site. I too am having the 2E error and dram light stay on....I was able to take one mem. stick out of the DIMM_A2 position and rebooted (post) and was able to load windows. However, this means that i have 1 4gb stick in the DIMM_B2 position. Per the manual if I am using 1 stick it should be in the A2 position; if I do that it won't post and I receive an 2E error with the dram light that stays on. I have tried the above to get both ram sticks to work in both A2 and B2 positions per the manual for best performance. I have also tried putting them in A1 and B1 positions and again 2E code. Also have tried putting 1 stick in A1, then A2, then B1 and B2 positions; with 1 stick only positions A2 and B2 work.

Things I have tried preemptively:
-taking out CMOS battery after disconnecting matx and 20 pin power to mb,
-using jumper in the 1-2 position and placing it in the 2-3 position for 30 seconds;
-go mem button;
-flashing BIOS to 0906 or whatever the beta bios is...mistake..lol

All in all the computer basically works and is pushing windows 7 64 no prob w/o any overclocking at all. My windows experience is 7.7 down the board except memory is 5.9;(.
Really I should just leave well enough alone but I have another stick of 4gb hanging around (they were purchased as a set off of newegg as was this mb and everything else). And I want to know if I have to OC my memory b/c it is overclockable to get it to work appropriately or is it the mb?

My build as of yesterday:

CPU - i7 2600k sandy bridge compatable
MOBO - Maximus iv Gene-Z
PSU - Corsair GS700
RAM - G.Skill ripjaws X F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL (i don't think it is on the vendor compatible list as the last two letters are XL) DDR3-1866 CL9-10-9-28 1.5v XMP PC3-14900 4GBx2
heat sink - Durin low profile air
LGdvd/Rosewill card reader..yadda yadda
Rosewill mATX case

Any help would be appreciated....as soon as I started up the mobo yesterday for the first time I received the 2E error; and dram light stayed on with both rams in A2 and B2 positions; but will post with ram in only B2 position. Thanks again all...

Kronvict
Level 9
RagingCain wrote:
Only have a set of G.Skill Tridents to play with at the moment, but can anyone suggest anything?

Can't post no matter what I try. I assume this is memory related due to LED initialize stuck on DRAM. Tried reseating everything. Tried single Dimm in A2. Tried the Memory GO button, does not work. Cleared CMOS. Reseated the CPU again. Tried BIOS1 / BIOS2.... Powers up to 2E freezes for 15 seconds, then reboots to freeze on 2E again, and then just stays there until turned off.

G.Skill Trident:
F3-16000CL9D-4GBTD (on compatibility list too)
Rated: 9-9-9-27 @ 1.6v

Motherboard:
Maximus IV Extreme P67 Rev 3.0

CPU:

Thanks, RC

Did you ever get this problem fixed? I just put together this new rig and went from being happy to having the exact same problem you have on first boot. I tried all types of different memory slots and and single dimms configs as well but its still a no go 😕 tried both bios and even reset and replaced cmos battery and reseated my cpu.

braheem
Level 7
Same issue here...

I took a really good look at the cpu socket and doesnt look like there are any bent pins... also tried everything that has been suggested..

anybody manage to find a reason this? I notice alot of us are using gskill ram... but thats probably just a coincidence...

Anywho i guess it is time to RMA.

Kronvict
Level 9
I feel so dumb. I found on another forum that the way the dimm sockets are with a clip only on one end you have to push a little harder on the memmory stick on the non clip end and hear a little click to lock it in place. Basically my memory sticks werent fully locked in place. I did that and it booted right up with no problems. Hope that helps.

Kronvict wrote:
I feel so dumb. I found on another forum that the way the dimm sockets are with a clip only on one end you have to push a little harder on the memmory stick on the non clip end and hear a little click to lock it in place. Basically my memory sticks werent fully locked in place. I did that and it booted right up with no problems. Hope that helps.

Holy... I thought 100% I was sure that the memory sticks were in, pushed the bottom and everything... I just tried with a little more force now and heard the click and voila, no more 2E error code.... was so close to RMA too..

Thanks so much man

braheem wrote:
Holy... I thought 100% I was sure that the memory sticks were in, pushed the bottom and everything... I just tried with a little more force now and heard the click and voila, no more 2E error code.... was so close to RMA too..

Thanks so much man

same case here when i tried to go over the code which says 2E i was already looking into the newly installed memory.

glad to had read and stumbled across this forum. a little push on the non clip end and hear a little click to lock it in place was the best approach.

visually you may notice that some memory stick had elevated a little among the rest, just secure the placement of that memory and your good to go. 😉

digmeahole
Level 8
Wow this is happening to a lot of people it's all over the forums.... Moderator should make a sticky about this as a lot of people think they have dead mother boards or and a bad memory controller. No one is used to this design,. Including myself
"Those who are willing to give up freedom for security deserve neither"
Ben Franklin

Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z
Intel I7-2700K OC to 4.7 @ 1.330 volts
2X EVGA 660TI SLI
G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz
2x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD. Raid 0. 1 500gb WD VelociRaptor
Antec Gamers edition Bronze rated PSU 750 Watts
Corsair H80 Closed loop CPU cooler
Dragon Test Bench Case

digmeahole wrote:
Wow this is happening to a lot of people it's all over the forums.... Moderator should make a sticky about this as a lot of people think they have dead mother boards or and a bad memory controller. No one is used to this design,. Including myself

I agree. But even so, acknowledging the design, on even the first try and all subsequent attempts I made sure to push the bottom half of the ram stick in, but the force you actually need to use is what I suppose no one would be used to, but I guess it is my fault for assuming it was inserted correctly without hearing the click.

They definitely need a sticky, i've seen at least 3 threads before this one where I read that someone had not inserted their ram correctly and I paid no attention to it, assuming that there was no way I made that mistake.