cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M7F Front Audio?

Sturmgewehr_44
Level 7
I just got a new headset, a Hyper X Cloud.

It seems really great so far, and the value is outstanding.

However, I'm using the Maximus VII Formula, which uses SupremeFX.

I could not utilise the impedance options when plugged into the rear I/O audio ports. I could only access it from the front panel jacks.

Why is this? Isn't front panel audio inferior to the quality of the jacks on the back? Why is it that the SupremeFX software only allows these options from the front??!!
7 REPLIES 7

Nate152
Hello Sturmgewehr_44

I also use the jacks on the front of my case but your headset sounds a little more advanced than mine, I have no impedance options.

Have a read here, scroll down to Sonic SenseAmp.

http://rog.asus.com/321242014/maximus-motherboards/what-is-rog-supremefx-2014-sonic-senseamp-soundst...

Nate152 wrote:
Hello Sturmgewehr_44

I also use the jacks on the front of my case but your headset sounds a little more advanced than mine, I have no impedance options.

Have a read here, scroll down to Sonic SenseAmp.

http://rog.asus.com/321242014/maximus-motherboards/what-is-rog-supremefx-2014-sonic-senseamp-soundst...

Yes, but the impedance options only show up when plugged in the front. I do not like this. Why will the Amp not work on the back??!!

Sturmgewehr_44
Level 7
Alright, so I set the front connector to AC97 (which is trash and I cut it off anyways) and the impedance options now work on the rear jacks.

This is very strange. I know it must be a bug, and on 'About' I was told I was still running HD Audio. So, for whatever reason, SupremeFX failed to identify the rear ports when running HD Audio. However, as I said, I am on it, it just had a weird identity crisis.

Can Asus fix this? Looking it up now, this issue with HD Audio and AC97 has existed at least since Z87, and has never been resolved.

Nate152
Well it says that sonic senseamp sets the impedance automatically OR you can control it manually from the speaker tab, if it's not there when connected to the motherboard jacks I'm not sure why but it should set the impedance automatically for you.

Nate152
Yeah I agree HD audio is superior to AC97, kudos for cutting off the AC97 cable. 😄

It seems you found the fix, if it's still running HD audio and sounds just as good after switching it to AC97 go with it.

Although it doesn't sound 100% right, good job getting your impedance working with the mobo jacks.

Sturmgewehr_44
Level 7
It is running HD Audio for front and back not AC'97. If it was using AC'97, I would be receiving no front audio, since the front connector for it is gone, and HD Audio is set in the UEFI for rear audio, so hence, both are using HD Audio and working properly. The 'Options' box for AC'97 allows the rear functionality as it should be, but it is overriden by HD Audio in the front panel anyhow because the AC'97 header has been...decapitated. It is running fully off the back I/O. Picking the AC'97 option was just to allow that, as it is bugged.

I saw it mentioned in some posts, dating back to Z87:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?36824-disappointed-with-MAXIMUS-VI-IMPACT-sound-card&p=361...

See post #56.

It's odd that this oversight was never fixed. I even saw a post from a guy on a Maximus VIII Z170 board with the same issue(s). It works from the back this way. It only uses HD Audio as seen in the 'Options' setting. From the rear, it shouldn't even use it though. It's really all a glitch.

As said by that aforementioned post, apparently the rear I/O audio ports report headphones as a speaker, and thus disable the Amp and Impedance functionality. The solution is to enable AC'97 for front, which is overridden by HD Audio in both cases anyway.

Still, Asus should fix this as the solution is a bit ominous and many users might never be able to find it.

Sturmgewehr_44
Level 7
Can someone from Asus inform me as to why these issues occur and if there will be a fix? Yes, there is a method of fixing it (As detailed in former posts), without using dreaded AC'97 which is also a plus, but official Realtek driver support would be nice.

-Sturm