cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

m.2

kns01
Level 7
hey guys

anyone using the m.2 on the wifi bluetooth combo card?

planing on my next build to use an intel 530 180gb with the asus maximus formula vi
would love to hear from your experience and tips and tricks

thanks in advance
CURRENT MACHINE
MB: MAXIMUS VI FORMULA, CPU: I5-4670 K, GRAPHICS: ASUS GTX780,
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB, HDD1: SAMSUNG SSD 840 PRO 256GB,
HDD2: SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2TB, PSU: Corsair AX860, COOLER: COOLER MASTER V8 GTS

OLDER MACHINE
MB: MAXIMUS FORMULA, CPU: CORE2DUO E6750, GRAPHICS: ASUS 8800GT, RAM: 6GB
HDD1: WD 320GB, HDD2:SEAGATE 250GB, PSU: THERMALTAKE TOUGH POWER 650W
COOLER: THERMALTAKE V1
8 REPLIES 8

Exalix
Level 7
kns01 wrote:
hey guys

anyone using the m.2 on the wifi bluetooth combo card?

planing on my next build to use an intel 530 180gb with the asus maximus formula vi
would love to hear from your experience and tips and tricks

thanks in advance

I'm very interested in that too

Exalix wrote:
I'm very interested in that too

I've been looking for a place to buy a m.2 PCIe ssd for quite some time, but despite a few sites reviewinght them a couple of month back ( the sandisk A110 and samsung XP941 ) I was never able to find any store that sells them. The intel 530 m.2 is available from amazon but it's sata and not PCIe and so it doesn't interest me.

kns01
Level 7
hey guys
i am getting my intel 530 from a German site: www.computeruniverse.net
other websites are selling them

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EZ2E8NO/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3ISMVC1FTQD6C

www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008120%20600458149&IsNodeId=1&name=M.2
CURRENT MACHINE
MB: MAXIMUS VI FORMULA, CPU: I5-4670 K, GRAPHICS: ASUS GTX780,
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB, HDD1: SAMSUNG SSD 840 PRO 256GB,
HDD2: SEAGATE BARRACUDA 2TB, PSU: Corsair AX860, COOLER: COOLER MASTER V8 GTS

OLDER MACHINE
MB: MAXIMUS FORMULA, CPU: CORE2DUO E6750, GRAPHICS: ASUS 8800GT, RAM: 6GB
HDD1: WD 320GB, HDD2:SEAGATE 250GB, PSU: THERMALTAKE TOUGH POWER 650W
COOLER: THERMALTAKE V1

The M.2 SSDs are currently available. Crucial and Adata and soon Samsung will have offerings in the marketplace as well. I currently have one Samsung PRO 840 256GB drive. Should I use a drive in the M.2 slot as the boot/OS drive? Are there advantages? I understand that I lose a SATA slot, and since the mini PCie slot runs on only one rail, I'm limited to 500MBps, but I curious as to what people are finding from a practical standpoint? Thanks!!

skcheng wrote:
and since the mini PCie slot runs on only one rail, I'm limited to 500MBps

Actually two PCIe lane are needed to max out SATA 6Gb/s. A single lane will show similar performance as most Marvell and ASMedia SATA 6Gb/s controllers do.

Praz wrote:
Actually two PCIe lane are needed to max out SATA 6Gb/s. A single lane will show similar performance as most Marvell and ASMedia SATA 6Gb/s controllers do.

So we won't lose anything using the mini slot and an M.2 ssd vs a regular 2.5" SSD ie a Samsung 840 PRO?

Praz
Level 13
A high performance SATA 6Gb/s SSD connected to one of the Intel SATA ports will always offer better performance compared to anything used with the M.2 slot.

Praz wrote:
A high performance SATA 6Gb/s SSD connected to one of the Intel SATA ports will always offer better performance compared to anything used with the M.2 slot.

Okay, then if there's no performance advantage, I'm not sure why I would ever use an SSD (more expensive as well with limiited options) in the M.2 slot? I thought ASUS was offering up some ground breaking new software that would possibly offer quicker boot times and faster programming? Unless it's solely a space saving option for smaller form factor builds?