cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linux on Rampage IV Black ?

GreatBeast666
Level 7
Hey there.

I'm interested in the R4BE board, but am very curious about the current state of Linux compatibility with this board.

I've searched around, but it doesn't turn up much. Seen some positive comments related to Linux on the regular Rampage IV extreme, but I'm wondering if anyone with the new black edition could chime in with a definitive answer on this before I roll the dice on it.

Specifically, I'm curious about the onboard sound, networking, etc etc all working more or less 'out of the box' with any modern linux distro. I understand there may be some hoop jumps with booting UEFI, but that shouldn't be a problem.

So, any feedback from owners of this board who happen to run Linux on it would be great.... (or anyone willing to boot up a liveCD to try it out!)

Thanks!
7 REPLIES 7

HiVizMan
Level 40
Free bump but I do not think that many folks have put Linux on this board.

Out of pure interest what are you going to be doing with the board and linux?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Thanks for the bump. 😉

I do plan to dual-boot with win7 for gaming, & do some OC'ing, but Linux is (and always has been) my primary OS (both for work & play), so it's a requirement for me. (Specifically gentoo, which really enjoys the benefits of a speedy machine). And I want to build a monster.

GreatBeast666
Level 7
Ok, I did get someone with this board running Arch Linux to verify atleast standard operation.
Looks like the onboard sound is handled by the snd_virtuoso driver, so it should work with the kernel 3.10+.
The only potential 'headache' will be the wireless, although regular ethernet works.

I may just pull the trigger and get this board.

For reference, lscpi output;

05:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CMI8788 [Oxygen HD Audio]
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Virtuoso 100 (Xonar Essence STX)
Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 42
I/O ports at b000
Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2
Kernel driver in use: snd_virtuoso
Kernel modules: snd_virtuoso

00:11.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset PCI Express Virtual Root Port (rev 06) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset MEI Controller #1 (rev 05)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82579V Gigabit Network Connection (rev 06)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 06) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset High Definition Audio Controller (rev 06)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev b6) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset PCI Express Root Port 2 (rev b6) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev b6) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev b6) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset PCI Express Root Port 6 (rev b6) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
00:1c.7 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset PCI Express Root Port 8 (rev b6) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 06) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev a6) (prog-if 01 [Subtractive decode])
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset LPC Controller (rev 06)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset 6-Port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 06) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation C600/X79 series chipset SMBus Host Controller (rev 06)
04:00.0 PCI bridge: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1083/1085 PCIe to PCI Bridge (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
05:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CMI8788 [Oxygen HD Audio]
08:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042 SuperSpeed USB Host Controller (prog-if 30 [XHCI])
09:00.0 PCI bridge: ASMedia Technology Inc. Device 1184 (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
0a:01.0 PCI bridge: ASMedia Technology Inc. Device 1184 (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
0a:03.0 PCI bridge: ASMedia Technology Inc. Device 1184 (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
0a:05.0 PCI bridge: ASMedia Technology Inc. Device 1184 (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
0a:07.0 PCI bridge: ASMedia Technology Inc. Device 1184 (prog-if 00 [Normal decode])
0d:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042 SuperSpeed USB Host Controller (prog-if 30 [XHCI])
0e:00.0 SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1062 Serial ATA Controller (rev 01) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
0f:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042 SuperSpeed USB Host Controller (prog-if 30 [XHCI])

HiVizMan
Level 40
Cheers mate I will ask one of my mates who is a big Linux dev to try with a BE if he has time.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

@GreatBeast666, I can't seem to see the wireless card in the lspci output? Maybe I'm just missing it?
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Zygomorphic wrote:
@GreatBeast666, I can't seem to see the wireless card in the lspci output? Maybe I'm just missing it?

Has anyone got ac wireless drivers yet? could be part of the reason why it's not in the list, or, GreatBeast666 didn't enable it.

Shevchen
Level 7
GreatBeast666 wrote:
Hey there.

I'm interested in the R4BE board, but am very curious about the current state of Linux compatibility with this board.

I've searched around, but it doesn't turn up much. Seen some positive comments related to Linux on the regular Rampage IV extreme, but I'm wondering if anyone with the new black edition could chime in with a definitive answer on this before I roll the dice on it.

Specifically, I'm curious about the onboard sound, networking, etc etc all working more or less 'out of the box' with any modern linux distro. I understand there may be some hoop jumps with booting UEFI, but that shouldn't be a problem.

So, any feedback from owners of this board who happen to run Linux on it would be great.... (or anyone willing to boot up a liveCD to try it out!)

Thanks!

Sorry for the necro, but I want to give in some inputs:

I'm running Arch Linux on the R4E-BE and it runs almost flawless. The only issue I have is a USB-bug, where the Kernel constantly detects new USB hardware and causes a massive slowdown of the entire system with that. The only solution was to blacklist the device. I guess, its the front-panel, as the only USB devices I use are mouse&keyboard (which run fine and after disconnecting them, the problem was still active) and all other hardware components are not USB. As the ROG front panel is connected, its the only USB-like device left that can cause this issue. Nevertheless, the front panel works.

Sadly, as this issue would be a low priority for Asus to fix, I do not see it being solved ever. 😕

Cheers,
Shevchen