cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Light overclock.

benlake
Level 7
Hello

After reading through the forums and seeing what others have managed i decided to have a crack at it my self.
Had this board since august at stock and haven't touched it but reading through the forums i decided to push it a little got a nice cold stable 4.5ghz overclock on a corsair h100 cooler.
just want to run a few bios pics in and see what people think.:)

Intel Core i7 3960x @ 4.5ghz
Asus rampage 4 extreme
16gb corsair platinum 2400mhz Memory
3 Gainward Golden Sample GTX580 3 way SLI
X-Fi Titanium Fatality Champion Series
Corsair Gold AX1200 PSU
20 REPLIES 20

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Looks OK to me! Good even! 4.5 from that voltage is good. Check it's stable under load! Only thing is with manual voltage the CPU never gets a rest from voltage. The multiplier wil reduce with speedstep but the voltage stays the same. If you are stable under load at that voltage check what CPUz reports as voltage in OS and try using offset voltage to reach the same voltage in OS. offset voltage enables the voltage to follow speedstep up and down....your CPU will be happier!;)

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Looks OK to me! Good even! 4.5 from that voltage is good. Check it's stable under load! Only thing is with manual voltage the CPU never gets a rest from voltage. The multiplier wil reduce with speedstep but the voltage stays the same. If you are stable under load at that voltage check what CPUz reports as voltage in OS and try using offset voltage to reach the same voltage in OS. offset voltage enables the voltage to follow speedstep up and down....your CPU will be happier!;)

Arne

Will definately try this at some point soon.
Had the rampage 3 before and that was a whole lot less complicated than this board.
Using the offset mode do you have any recommendations as to what would be a good starting point?
Its currently fully stable 4+ hours of prime 95 and highest setting intel burn in test. Never went above 65c.
I have speedstep enabled but i never ever see a frequency change in cpuz it always states 4.5ghz.
Asus rampage 4 extreme
Corsair Gold AX1200 PSU

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks Arne...

I learn important stuff from you, a little here, a little there..

Retired
Not applicable
4 hours!!

sure thats enough?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hehe 4 hours is more than enough you could roast a small goose with your CPU in that time! 😉

Offset is a bit trial and error (as with everything else really) I would just start with the minimum which is 0.005 and increase as necessary. 0.005 v increments. You take your stable CPUz voltage as your target (usually this is not exactly what you set in BIOS manually) and try to get the same result showing in CPUz when you enter an offset. It is not straight maths with positive offset and the offset may differ with different levels of OC so just play about with values until your CPUz load voltage is the same as when you set manually. You can try negative offset too.

The frequency should be lowering in CPUz. Sometimes this happens because CPUz is not reading right sometimes because your CPU minimum processor is set to 100% in your power plan (like on performance power plan) and your CPU is genuinely not changing multiplier.

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Hehe 4 hours is more than enough you could roast a small goose with your CPU in that time! 😉

Offset is a bit trial and error (as with everything else really) I would just start with the minimum which is 0.005 and increase as necessary. 0.005 v increments. You take your stable CPUz voltage as your target (usually this is not exactly what you set in BIOS manually) and try to get the same result showing in CPUz when you enter an offset. It is not straight maths with positive offset and the offset may differ with different levels of OC so just play about with values until your CPUz load voltage is the same as when you set manually. You can try negative offset too.

The frequency should be lowering in CPUz. Sometimes this happens because CPUz is not reading right sometimes because your CPU minimum processor is set to 100% in your power plan (like on performance power plan) and your CPU is genuinely not changing multiplier.

Okay been tinkering with the offset mode and windows high performance states. i have managed to set a offset of -0.055 giving me a 1.272vcore at full load and dropping to 0.776v under speedstep.
that drops a good 5c off idle load and that makes me smile.:)
Been running intel burn test on highest and it still seems perfectly happy.

Thanks for your tip.
Asus rampage 4 extreme
Corsair Gold AX1200 PSU

benlake wrote:
Okay been tinkering with the offset mode and windows high performance states. i have managed to set a offset of -0.055 giving me a 1.272vcore at full load and dropping to 0.776v under speedstep.
that drops a good 5c off idle load and that makes me smile.:)
Been running intel burn test on highest and it still seems perfectly happy.

Thanks for your tip.

Cool bananas! Good job!:)

Re: Prime....how did Raja put it ....Nut toasting Prime sessions or some such LOL

Premudriy
Level 9
Hey Benlake, watch out for that VCCSA Load-Line Calibration setting. If left on "Auto" it really sets it to highest possible level, which is not good.

PS: More info: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20289-Rampage-iv-extreme-VCCSA-Load-line-calibration-when-l...

Premudriy wrote:
Hey Benlake, watch out for that VCCSA Load-Line Calibration setting. If left on "Auto" it really sets it to highest possible level, which is not good.

PS: More info: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20289-Rampage-iv-extreme-VCCSA-Load-line-calibration-when-l...

Thanks for posting this.

I have read through that link and turned it down to regular all still seems to be running nicely.
Asus rampage 4 extreme
Corsair Gold AX1200 PSU