cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ivy Bridge-E Easy Overclocking Guide – The Listy/Wordy Edition

Raja
Level 13
Standard disclaimer: Overclocking is not guaranteed to work, or guaranteed to be reliable. Do so at your own risk.

Read the guide through in its entirety before attempting any overclocking!

Ivy Bridge-E CPU Core Overclocking Overview

1) In my binning of 45 samples, 2% of CPUs will do 4.8GHz at 1.40V. 20% will do 4.7GHz. Almost 48% will do 4.6GHz at 1.40V. 28% will do 4.5GHz at 1.40V. 2% will do only 4.4GHz at 1.40V. The average frequency is therefore 4.6GHz on a reasonable CPU sample. Not a massive sample size, but I think it gives us a realistic indication of what to expect from retail processors.

2) The power draw of Ivy-E is very low. We measured 120 Watts at full AVX load at 4.6GHz. However, we’re dealing with a smaller substrate/process node which means getting heat away from the die quickly is key. Same trend we are used to by now on the 22nm process.

4.6GHz at 1.40V is doable using water cooling – we get loaded temps of around 80C on a good triple radiator water loop. For users with air coolers, we recommend a maximum of 1.30V for Vcore - of course this is dependent on the type of air cooler and its capabilities. Use a voltage that keeps loaded temps below 75 Celsius or so.

We do recommend placing a fan over the VRM heatsink if the system is going to be overclocked.

Overclocking Ivy-E for the masses is centered on two voltages: Vcore and VCCSA (more on VCCSA later).

(i) For Vcore the highest we’re using here internally is 1.40V (cooling dependent obviously).

(ii) Our auto rules will set Vcore and VSSA as changes are made. We recommend starting on auto and simply setting the multipliers, then tuning voltages lower or higher depending upon the CPU sample.

That’s most of the basics in short-form apart from specifics about Ivy-E and memory overclocking. Before we get to the overclocking section, there’s a memory kit related topic that comes up on these forums (and others) frequently. It seems many users are not aware that combining memory kits – even those of the same model can lead to system instability. Make sure you read the section below before proceeding to overclock the system.

Notes on X79 memory purchasing

Let’s start with what not to do: DO NOT COMBINE MULTIPLE MEMORY KITS, EVEN IF THEY ARE THE SAME MODEL. While it may seem attractive to populate as many memory slots as we can, there is a sensible way of doing it that makes setting the system up and getting it stable easier. Purchase a single kit rated at the desired density and timings you wish to run – we recommend memory kits rated no faster than DDR3-1600 for ease-of-use. Speeds faster than DDR3-1600 require an IMC that is “strong”, and may require lots of manual tuning to obtain stability.

Quick check list of Ivy-E memory related items:

1) DDR3-1866 is supported as a stock speed. However, it is only supported with one DIMM per channel. If all slots are populated, then the maximum supported memory speed is DDR3-1600. Both situations are likely subject to memory timing, too. Intel usually makes this information available in their white papers.

Supported speeds are those the processor can run without needing any kind of voltage adjustment. Anything faster than this is defined as overclocking and quite obviously, may require adjustment of voltages and memory timings to work.

The idea then is to select a memory kit that suits one’s mindset. If plug-and-play operation is desirable, then it would be wise to select memory kits rated no faster than DDR3-1600 or DDR3-1866 (depending upon density).

If one is inclined to tune a system manually, then purchasing a faster memory kit is possible. Bear in mind that performance gains from running faster memory are minuscule in most applications. If budget is constrained, or you’re simply looking for good performance return for expenditure, then spending excessively on fast memory kits is ill-advised.

2) Look for memory kits that are qualified to run on the platform they will be used in. In this case, we are looking for X79 qualified memory kits. Memory kits qualified on other platforms may not reach their specified timings when used on X79 and vice versa, too. That’s because the SPD and XMP is programmed with memory timings for the platform they were binned on.

3) We’ll say it one more time: Don’t combine multiple kits to make up a higher density. Purchase a single memory kit rated at the speed and required density (other purchasing advice withstanding).

Following the advice above should keep most out of trouble. If inclined towards memory related tomfoolery (overclocking or tweaking) then the following section is worth a read.

Notes about Ivy-E's Memory Controller

It’s time to start writing about about Ivy-E’s memory controller. On average, Ivy-E is a little more robust than Sandybridge-E when it comes to memory overclocking. Higher memory ratios are available (over DDR3-2400) and the CPUs seem to have an easier time reaching DDR3-2400.

I like lists, they keep things on point without BS. My (naive?) belief is that people are more likely to follow lists than large paragraphs of text. Yep, it’s time for another list. This one’s about Ivy-E’s memory controller capabilities:

1) Most Ivy-E CPU samples are capable of reaching DDR3-2400 with 32GB of memory.

2) Some samples are capable of speeds beyond DDR3-2666 with 16GB of memory.

3) As CPU core frequency is increased it can become more difficult to reach memory speeds over DDR3-2133. This situation is also affected by the amount of memory used. For example, it may be easier to run speeds over DDR3-2133 if only 16GB of memory is used.

4) VCCSA is the voltage that helps facilitate memory overclocking on Ivy-E. DRAM voltage does too (obviously). Speeds over DDR3-2400 may require high levels of VCCSA if high density memory configurations are used. We have used up to 1.40V with 64GB of memory at speeds over DDR3-2400.

5) Before you are wowed by the voltage or the promise of running DDR3-2400, remember that even if you find a single memory kit rated at these speeds, there is no guarantee that the CPU memory controller will manage the frequency. Each CPU sample varies - some are better and some are worse at overclocking.

6) Bear in mind that memory timings are just as important as memory frequency. Chasing raw frequency at the expense of timings is worthless on a 24/7 system.

Just because a CPU won’t run a given memory frequency in a stable manner, don’t despair! It’s usually "technically" faster to drop the memory ratio one step lower and run a tighter set of timings. Doing so can be complex, but that’s what the forum is for. We’re here to guide you on what to run in these situations. Ask!

7) Memory speeds over DDR3-2400 may be more stable when using the 125 MHz BCLK strap.
186 REPLIES 186

Hello guys sorry for the bother but I need help on my first computer build I can run a torch test from prime and it does ok
but when you first run prime whatever that test is it always says that there is possable hardware problems it don't matter
if it is overclocked or not still says that any help you could provide I would be very thankful

setup:
CPU I7 4820K
sabertoothX79
geforce gtx760 VGC
corsair memory cmz16gx3m2a2400c10 X2 32GB TOTALL( HAVE REMOVE 16 AS THEY ARE DIFFERANT VERSION)
ASUS BW-12B1ST
GEMIN II S524 CPU COOLER
USING ALL CASE FANS & CPU OPT FAN
2 SCANDISK 64GB SSD
WDBSLA0020HNC-NRSN HARD DRIVE
CORSAIR 750WATT MXPS

hi everyone just joined forum.

ok my new system is as follows,

i7 4930k rampage iv black edition

TeamGroup Xtreem LV 16GB (4x4GB) DDR3 PC3-20800C10 2600MHz

crossfire r9 290x watercooled

ax 1200w 1x360 rad 2x240 rad 1x120 rad /twin d5 res.

cosmos 2 ultra 2x256 samsung pro/raid 0 2t hdd 240ssd

i am a hardcore gamer primarily and im looking to overclock my home built rig i have the knowledge to build a pc but as for oc im in the dark
could i please have some idiots guide to start me off, lol

thanks in advance
i7 4930k 4.4 oc rampage iv black edition wc

kingston hyperx savage 12gb 2400
gtx 980 sli wc external loop 420 monsta

sf 1200 1x360 rad 240 monsta rad 2x140 rad /twin d5 res.

cosmos 2 ultra 1tb 850 pro 2x256 840 pro

I know you stated 1.4v is the recommended i think but i have also read around the net that going higher isnt to bad. What i mean by going higher like to 1.45 or so not 1.5 and higher, if your temps are kept under control. Is this a true statement or not?

marcus556 wrote:
I know you stated 1.4v is the recommended i think but i have also read around the net that going higher isnt to bad. What i mean by going higher like to 1.45 or so not 1.5 and higher, if your temps are kept under control. Is this a true statement or not?

Nobody can say for sure. The higher the voltage the greater the risk of degradation. Temps alone don't dictate if a CPU will degrade - it's current that matters more than anything else.

hi raga did you look at my post a couple back from this 1

thanks.
i7 4930k 4.4 oc rampage iv black edition wc

kingston hyperx savage 12gb 2400
gtx 980 sli wc external loop 420 monsta

sf 1200 1x360 rad 240 monsta rad 2x140 rad /twin d5 res.

cosmos 2 ultra 1tb 850 pro 2x256 840 pro

The pictures below are where I am at now using my Asus RIVBE MOBO with the Intel 4820 CPU OC'ed to 4.7 and adjusting the static voltage adjustment to 1.34.(havent tried the Offset Mode as I am still trying to figure it out)just using the Multiplyer adjustment,set to XMP,hit F10 and restart steps here. I am using a very cavernous size Caselabs SMA8 that has 2 120x4 XSPC radiators and 1 120x3 radiator for the front so cooling doesnt seem to be a problem here. Being that I am a rookie to OCing,my question is should I try to go lower on my voltage to find the MEP or up the Multiplyer even more to squeeze more out of the CPU and then find the lowest voltage I could go at maybe say 4.8-5.0? I tried a 4.8 Multiplyer at a 1.40 static voltage and it did let me run Prime95 for about an hour before Worker #4 stopped but all other Workers continued to run. Could I have gotten a more stable 4.8 by making more tweaks in my BIOS? I could only get to my desktop and run Prime95 for the short time by using a voltage of 1.40 when the multiplyer was set at x48.The pictures show running Prime95 for about an hour at 4.7 and a manual voltage setting of 1.32(CPU-Z is showing 1.34)Its been running real smooth for that time and temps are fine.Also my memory is using Profile #1 using X.M.P. Can I run this 4.7 setup like this 24/7 if stability is OK? Is it safe to adjust CPU voltage if I am not using Offset adjusting? Remember I am new to this. I love building them,just not really sharp on OCing them,LOL. 36704

I have a question about temperatures and which to believe. I currently have my 4820K at 4.5GHz and I'm getting some pretty different temps. RealTemp has temps from 62-73C but Asus' AI Suite says 44-51C. Which do I believe, since it's such a huge difference? I'm running a Rampage IV Black with 32gb Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz.

ExcessiveGBH
Level 8
Hi Raja

Thinking about upgrading to the 4960x, and looked at the G skill site for compatible ram. It seems to me that I have to upgrade that as well, as they state in brackets for listed ram (Ivy Bridge-E). So is my current ram not compatible? The issue is having trouble finding a supplier for that ram in Australia.
System specs
Win 11 Pro 21H2
Rampage VI Extreme
BIOS 3801
I9 10920 @5.0GHz all cores
EK-KIT G360 (CPU only)
Samsung 960 PRO M.2 NVMe 1TB
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PLUS NVMe 2TB
Kingston Fury Renegade 4TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD with Heatsink
1 Samsung SSD 4TB EVO
1 X Samsung SSD 860 EVO 4TB
2 x 10TB drives
1 x 2TB drive
ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC 24GB @3015 MHz
32GB G Skill Trident Z 3466MHz 15-17-17-37
Corsair AX1200W PSU
Sound Denon AVC-A1
LGC1 77

Raja
Level 13
The DRAM will work, but might not be fully stable without some tweaking, or you might have to run it a bit slower. I would try that first before you purchase new memory.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
The DRAM will work, but might not be fully stable without some tweaking, or you might have to run it a bit slower. I would try that first before you purchase new memory.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I have now found a supplier with [RipjawsZ] F3-2666C11Q-16GZHD in stock only. So I feel a bit more comfortable knowing I can grab this if having issues.

What thermal paste would you recommend?
System specs
Win 11 Pro 21H2
Rampage VI Extreme
BIOS 3801
I9 10920 @5.0GHz all cores
EK-KIT G360 (CPU only)
Samsung 960 PRO M.2 NVMe 1TB
Samsung 970 EVO M.2 PLUS NVMe 2TB
Kingston Fury Renegade 4TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD with Heatsink
1 Samsung SSD 4TB EVO
1 X Samsung SSD 860 EVO 4TB