Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this a Safe 24/7 Overclock - Maximus V Extreme i7/3770k

Shreve
Level 9
Hey guys,

Went ahead and did a small overclock

Raised Multiplier to 43, so the system is running at 4.3 ghz

Set the Core Voltage to manual at 1.200 - Flat. It doesnt fluctuate up or down (couldnt figure out the +/- offset stuff...
If I set it to auto the voltage was 1.256 flat which seemed high so I just lowered it to 1.2

Anyway, everything appears stable with Prime95 (1 hour run)

Prim Temps peaked at 70 degrees but mostly hovered in the mid to low 60s
Core Peaks - 64, 70, 70, 67

Idle Temps hover in the mid to high twenties. Occasionally moving into the low 30's

So how does this look? Am I running any major risks here? Is the 1.200 voltage too high to remain flat with?

Any help is always appreciated

Specs

Maximus V Extreme
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo)
ZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-B 135mm
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB)
Vid Card: EVGA SuperClocked+ GeForce GTX 680 2GB Display: ASUS VG278HE Black 27" 2ms
OCZ Vector 256gig (OS Drive) and OCZ Vertex 4 256gig (Game Drive)
PSU - CORSAIR HX Series HX750
57 REPLIES 57

WiSH2oo0 wrote:
Thank You again for your help Nikosa. I could not take the problems I was having w/ the MVF any more and returned it. Which is sad since all the motherboards I have used since Abit went under have been Asus. But I have learned a lot from this forum and my new board is running Prime95 stable ATM at 4.7GHz ;)Ty AgainMoses
I am always happy to help Moses. It's sad we 'll not have you anymore around, but I am happy for you.I wish you the best and hope will talk again. Nikos

limitz
Level 7
Ok so tonight I applied nikosa43's settings to the 'T' minus the DRAM values. At idle the Vcore looked good at around 1.135, but then it became ugly once I ran IntelBurnTest in Standard. The Vcore shot up to 1.355 or so and would peak in the 1.500's at full load. Temps reached mid 90's to low 100's and so I immediately shutdown the test. I look at my Vcore again and while at idle it seems stuck at 1.350+ Vcore. It would not go back down to 1.135 until I did a CMOS and reapplied the settings over again. I then changed CPU Offset to the + sign and doesn't seem to change anything. I am back at 4.2ghz.

It was pretty scary and strange when everything shot upwards. Any suggestions in regards to changing settings in the BIOS?
Also, how in the world were you able to achieve below 1.100 Vcore (1.09x Vcore in BIOS as shown in your picture?), that is great. 🙂

Tools used:
RealTempGT
CPU-Z ROG
Core Temp
IntelBurnTest

Note: Come to think of it IntelBurnTest would not run (errored) when CPU Offset was at '-' but it would run when set to '+' but would cause insane Vcore and temperature levels as stated above.

I still want 4.5ghz stable'ish though - so help me help you help me. 😛
Maximus V Formula | i7 3770K | Windows 8 Pro x64 | Corsair H100 | Corsair 1050HX | Corsair GT 120 SSD x2 RAID 0 | Corsair GT DDR3 8GB | EVGA GTX 580 | Asus Xonar Essence STX | Corsair 800D

- "Closed mouths do not get fed" 😉

limitz wrote:
Ok so tonight I applied nikosa43's settings to the 'T' minus the DRAM values. At idle the Vcore looked good at around 1.135, but then it became ugly once I ran IntelBurnTest in Standard. The Vcore shot up to 1.355 or so and would peak in the 1.500's at full load. Temps reached mid 90's to low 100's and so I immediately shutdown the test. I look at my Vcore again and while at idle it seems stuck at 1.350+ Vcore. It would not go back down to 1.135 until I did a CMOS and reapplied the settings over again. I then changed CPU Offset to the + sign and doesn't seem to change anything. I am back at 4.2ghz.

It was pretty scary and strange when everything shot upwards. Any suggestions in regards to changing settings in the BIOS?
Also, how in the world were you able to achieve below 1.100 Vcore (1.09x Vcore in BIOS as shown in your picture?), that is great. 🙂

Tools used:
RealTempGT
CPU-Z ROG
Core Temp
IntelBurnTest

Note: Come to think of it IntelBurnTest would not run (errored) when CPU Offset was at '-' but it would run when set to '+' but would cause insane Vcore and temperature levels as stated above.

I still want 4.5ghz stable'ish though - so help me help you help me. 😛

Welcome back limitz.
Every hardware have it's own unique characteristics, so because my CPU works with these Voltages means nothing to others. Yours may need higher or even lower Voltage to achieve a clock.
...aside the unusal high Vcore you hitted for the clock by applying offset, you have to set a base and get familiar with your system. Also we have to find a way to lower your idle Voltage. When the frequency goes up, the range of Vcore varies a lot from CPU to CPU but for nominal frequency and idle I think yours is way too high. So...

1. Do you have Ai installed? If yes, you have to uninstall it or you have to go to Settings and untick Turbo EVO and DIGI +. Press apply and restart. Verify that inside Ai you dont have any more these applications.

2. Enter BIOS apply default values, save and restart.

3. Shut down, perform a clear CMOS and restart.

4. Enter BIOS again, load defaults save and restart.

5. Enter BIOS load only your XMP memory profile save and restart.

6. Inside Windows go to Control Panel find Power Options and load Balanced.

7. Restart, run CPUz and verify that your CPU frequency works from 1600 to 3900 and Vcore varies accordingly. Write down min and max Voltage.

8. Having CPUz running, open Intel Burn test and put yor cursor to start. Having your eyes to CPUz Vcore press Start to Intel one. As the CPU load goes to 100%, write down the max voltage and possible drop of it, to a stable value. Write down the values.

With the above you have to be stable to nominal specs and with low idle voltage. Under load you can have relatively high as almost 1.28Volts.
Please do these for the moment and post back your results in detail.

nikosa43 wrote:
Welcome back limitz.
Every hardware have it's own unique characteristics, so because my CPU works with these Voltages means nothing to others. Yours may need higher or even lower Voltage to achieve a clock.
...aside the unusal high Vcore you hitted for the clock by applying offset, you have to set a base and get familiar with your system. Also we have to find a way to lower your idle Voltage. When the frequency goes up, the range of Vcore varies a lot from CPU to CPU but for nominal frequency and idle I think yours is way too high. So...

1. Do you have Ai installed? If yes, you have to uninstall it or you have to go to Settings and untick Turbo EVO and DIGI +. Press apply and restart. Verify that inside Ai you dont have any more these applications.

2. Enter BIOS apply default values, save and restart.

3. Shut down, perform a clear CMOS and restart.

4. Enter BIOS again, load defaults save and restart.

5. Enter BIOS load only your XMP memory profile save and restart.

6. Inside Windows go to Control Panel find Power Options and load Balanced.

7. Restart, run CPUz and verify that your CPU frequency works from 1600 to 3900 and Vcore varies accordingly. Write down min and max Voltage.

8. Having CPUz running, open Intel Burn test and put yor cursor to start. Having your eyes to CPUz Vcore press Start to Intel one. As the CPU load goes to 100%, write down the max voltage and possible drop of it, to a stable value. Write down the values.

With the above you have to be stable to nominal specs and with low idle voltage. Under load you can have relatively high as almost 1.28Volts.
Please do these for the moment and post back your results in detail.

Ok i will report back in a few days.

Regards
Maximus V Formula | i7 3770K | Windows 8 Pro x64 | Corsair H100 | Corsair 1050HX | Corsair GT 120 SSD x2 RAID 0 | Corsair GT DDR3 8GB | EVGA GTX 580 | Asus Xonar Essence STX | Corsair 800D

- "Closed mouths do not get fed" 😉

Nate152
No you don't need a better cooler. What you need to do is uninstall prime95 and install ROG realbench and run only the stress test, I bet your temps are a lot lower.

Thrawn0502
Level 7
Oh but i run another Temp check Programm Called CoreTemp and the Temps there are the same. Asus AI Suit also gave a Alarm about the teprature 😕

Nate152
AI suite does not give you the core temps, it gives you more or less the socket temp. Core temp is a good cpu temp monitoring program as it does give the core temp.

There is no way your temps are the same with realbench and prime95. Your temps should be AT LEAST 10c cooler with realbench and maybe more.

boozy
Level 7
As long as Prime doesn't hit your t-junction max I'd say rock-n-roll! You have to play with your toys, no point in not pushing it to its potential. Worst case scenario is you buy another CPU in a few years, like most people do anyway.
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus V Gene v1903. CPU: Intel I7-3770K at 5ghz. RAM: G.SKILL TridentX 16GB at 2400mhz. GPU: ASUS STRIX 980. SSD: Intel 520 in RAID0. OS: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 x64.