Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my Sabertooth x79 dead?

Nimce
Level 7
Hi everyone,
I have this problem:
Whenever I play games, or just randomly surf the internet, sometimes the screen goes black, and I can't use the computer anymore until I hard reset.

The computer does continue to run, sometimes the sound even continues, but I have no option but to hard-reset the computer.

I do NOT overclock the computer (besides Intel SpeedStep and factory OC GPU):

My specs are:
Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth X79 (Latest BIOS installed)
CPU: Intel i7 4930K
Memory: 32GB of RAM: 4 sticks of 8GB each Kingston DDR3 1866MHz (KHX1866C10D/8G) (DDR3)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (Asus GTX 1070 ROG Strix 8GB), exact model is: STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING
PSU: Corsair RM650i (650W)
My chassis is properly cooled (2 intake fans and 2 outtake fans)
Monitors (I connect them with 1 DP port and daisy-chain the other one):
DELL U2415 (Main) and DELL E2316H (Secondary)

Sometimes, I can see the infamous "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" in the Event Viewer, but not always.

I have run the following tests:
memtest86+ (passed)
FurMark (burn mode passed)
AIDA64 Stability Test (Passed)
Heaven Benchmark (passed)
Latest 3DMark stability test (passed)
Prime95 (passed)

I have also tried:
Replacing the GPU Slot (put the GPU on a different PCI-E slot)
Replacing the GPU to a different one
Replacing RAM
Replacing PSU
Cleaning the computer from dust
Installing latest drivers (removed the old ones with DDU)
Formatting the PC and do a fresh install

None of them helped.
Do you have any ideas what the problem can be? and how to fix it?

Thanks a lot!
8 REPLIES 8

haihane
Level 13
i've a little experiment i'd like you to do,
or maybe a few experiments*

experiment 1:
- can you go download GPUz and run the program and tell me the PCI-E link speed?
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

Sure, but when can I get the link speed? I checked the advanced tab and sensors tab, didn't see it there.
I'm attaching a screenshot of GPU-z during the benchmark though.

Nimce wrote:
Sure, but when can I get the link speed? I checked the advanced tab and sensors tab, didn't see it there.
I'm attaching a screenshot of GPU-z during the benchmark though.

thanks, saw it. Pcie x16 version 3.0.

reason why i asked was because sometimes when this happened to me (your case), i didn't reseat the gpu properly, and i noticed that one easy way to tell was with using GPUz's link speed reading.

then i noticed that you'd already tried re-plugging the same and different Graphic Cards to same and other slots. apologies for not reading properly earlier.
i'm out of ideas.
no siggy, saw stuff that made me sad.

Random crashes may be a power supply issue, especially if it is a few years old. I had to replace mine last year.
Try putting in a brand new power supply and see if it stops happening.

Also, can you please clarify the black screen issue such as did the computer crash and freeze? Can you still hear audio such as if music was playing and the music wasn't repeating the same sounds?

Has a solution been found to this problem? My computer is almost identical specs and I am experiencing the exact same problem - screen goes black with sound playing (in loop) but requires a hard reset. Very frustrating as there is no consistency to the black screens.

blimpi wrote:
Has a solution been found to this problem? My computer is almost identical specs and I am experiencing the exact same problem - screen goes black with sound playing (in loop) but requires a hard reset. Very frustrating as there is no consistency to the black screens.

The thing I'm trying now is a new motherboard, see if it helps.

benjos wrote:
Random crashes may be a power supply issue, especially if it is a few years old. I had to replace mine last year.
Try putting in a brand new power supply and see if it stops happening.

Also, can you please clarify the black screen issue such as did the computer crash and freeze? Can you still hear audio such as if music was playing and the music wasn't repeating the same sounds?

Hi, I tried it,
Also tried a new GPU, new PSU, new RAM sticks, CMOS resetting, nothing helped.

XIIIIX
Level 7
Have you tried to crank up the voltages a little?

For a stable system, I had to put all currents to 130% and calibrations to high.
Core and mem.
In bios I`ve set CPU Spread sprectum on auto, but I`ve got to set it manualy to auto and on evrey time I reboot in AI3.
XII