cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to disable discrete GPU?

WCPredator
Level 7
Hi, I'm not gaming much these days, and I would like to turn off power to my 7970, as it uses 103W at idle, whereas my 4790k and it's integrated HD 4600 GPU max out at 20.7W, avg 8.*W. It seems stupid to waste so much more power on nothing. I'm hoping I can disable power flow to the dGPU in BIOS and just switch profiles when I want to game.
Thanks for any advice 🙂
7 REPLIES 7

Chino
Level 15

Chino wrote:
Unfortunately, that isn't possible. You will just have to remove the GPU physically.

Aww hell, r u 100%? Also, how do i properly disable the iGPU when I plug it back in?

Chino
Level 15
There is no way to disable the iGPU either. When a discrete GPU is present, the motherboard will use it instead of the iGPU.

Nate152
Hi WCPredator and Chino

I always thought with the pcie set to auto it would automatically detect which ever you connected to, gpu or iGPU.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi WCPredator and Chino

I always thought with the pcie set to auto it would automatically detect which ever you connected to, gpu or iGPU.

Well I never did try plugging a monitor into the card after selecting onboard graphics, but the card's fans were running louder than during normal use. Even after pulling the power connectors. I just pulled the card. When a good enough game comes along, I'll plug it back in.. unless I've managed an upgrade before then 😉
Thanks guys.

Nate152
What games are you playing that you don't need your 7970, are you hitting 60 FPS with the iGPU?

Nate152 wrote:
What games are you playing that you don't need your 7970, are you hitting 60 FPS with the iGPU?

I'm not playing anything right now, i assume that the iGPU (hd 4600) won't be able to handle much. If I find something worth playing i'll put the 7970 back in, or hopefully by that time I'll have a newer card. Lately I'm just watching movies etc.