Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing new hdd

LouieBibo
Level 7
Im stalling new hdd, my questions are
1. MBR or GPT?
2. The disk is labelled 0 (disk 0) should i worry about that since i use my ssd as boot drive (UEFI)

Thanks
CPU:Intel i7 3960x Extreme MB:Asus Rampage IV Extreme RAM:16gb Patriot IEM Limited Edt. 1600mhz DDR3 GPU:Asus GTX770 DCUII OC Cooling:Corsair H100i CASE:Fractal Define XL (modded) HDD/SSD:Samsung 840 PSU:Corsair AX860 OS:Windows 8 Enterprise 64bit (UEFI)
10 REPLIES 10

LouieBibo
Level 7
Anyone? Mbr or gpt?
CPU:Intel i7 3960x Extreme MB:Asus Rampage IV Extreme RAM:16gb Patriot IEM Limited Edt. 1600mhz DDR3 GPU:Asus GTX770 DCUII OC Cooling:Corsair H100i CASE:Fractal Define XL (modded) HDD/SSD:Samsung 840 PSU:Corsair AX860 OS:Windows 8 Enterprise 64bit (UEFI)

DragonClaVV
Level 9
Gpt

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
How big is the HDD? MBR for 2TB and less, GPT for 3TB +

DragonClaVV
Level 9
You can use GPT without any problems on every disk size. GPT is newer and better implented in new OS like W8 which the OP have.

LouieBibo
Level 7
Thanks for the info. Im planning to raid on future upgrade

LouieBibo
Level 7
1tb wd black and 2tb wd red

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Basically as far as I know, GPT and MBR do exactly the same thing, the only difference is; MBR way back in the 70's was created to address a maximum of 2TB of HDD space...they never imagined there would be HDD's reaching and exceeding that capacity...so GPT was created, to address greater than 2TB of Disk space.

DragonClaVV
Level 9
I dont remember all differences and had to google for them now to list them here. I think you can do it yourself.

But there was sometihng like GPT has some additional protection against corrupted boot sectors.

greetings

Raghar
Level 7
You can't boot from GPT on W7 if your system doesn't have EFI/UEFI.