cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect DRAM speed showing in Windows

Homewrecker
Level 9
So I finally got my build done and have finished installing all of my apps. I haven't started OCing yet but when I went to look at CPU-Z and AIDA64 my RAM speed showed up as 1066. The memory tab for CPU-Z is not even populated aside from the amount of RAM which is showing correctly at 16gb. At system boot up the memory amount and speed shows correctly. I tried XMP and manual settings in the bios but no change. I manually entered the voltage to 1.6 and manually entered the frequency as well. I haven't messed with any of the other settings as of yet. Any suggestions?
10 REPLIES 10

HiVizMan
Level 40
Out of interest which CPUz are you using? I assume that you are using the latest version?

Could you confirm which of the ram slots you have populated?

And finally take another look at your BIOS screen and check that your ram overclock has been set.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

GetMax
Level 7
1066x2 = 2132
Intel 3930K @ 4.2ghz C1 @ Offset (- something) @1.3V
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme (BIOS-4901-BOLTS4BREKFAST Mod)
ASUS GTX 1070 8GB Dual OC
Swiftech H220-X Liquid
16 gb Corsair Dominator GT 2133mhz cas 9 @ 1.5V
Corsair Carbide Air 540
Corsair AX 860i PSU
Corsair K70 LUX RGB Keyboard
Samsung 850 EVO 512GB SSD
Samsung 830 256GB SSD
Intel 320 SSD
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit (Latest)

HiVizMan
Level 40
So we have one of the problems sorted out. Yes the frequency of your ram is twice the value shown in CPU-z. Thank you GetMax

But still waiting to see why none of your ram slots appear populated in CPU-z, I take it you have cycled through the drop down menu which shows each of the slots?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
So we have one of the problems sorted out. Yes the frequency of your ram is twice the value shown in CPU-z. Thank you GetMax

But still waiting to see why none of your ram slots appear populated in CPU-z, I take it you have cycled through the drop down menu which shows each of the slots?

I could have sworn in the past that my actual memory frequency showed up in CPU-Z or in some other app. That is why I was surprised to see it at 1066.

Homewrecker wrote:
I could have sworn in the past that my actual memory frequency showed up in CPU-Z or in some other app. That is why I was surprised to see it at 1066.

That *IS* the actual memory frequency. DDR just means that it performs operations twice per cycle so 2133 is not the actual frequency. If you saw an app display the data rate as the frequency then it was probably a bug that got fixed because that would be wrong.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Homewrecker
Level 9
The forum layout seems to be screwed up again as everything is difficult to read and text showing up as black.

Anyway, only the Red Slots are populated on the board - 2 sticks on each side. I'm using the latest version of the ROG CPU-Z. I belive its 1.57.1 (I'm currently at work but I'm fairly certain that's the version). I've tried all the drop down menus and there's nothing there. MEMTweakIt shows all of the possible JEDEC values under the SPD tab (Inclduing XMP Profile #2 @ 2133).

When I run the AIDA 64 Cache & Memory benchmark the speed there shows up as 1066 as well.

There was an error in my sig. The RAM speed is supposed to read 2133 and not 2100. I've corrected that.

When you stated to check the RAM Overclock did you mean Memory Frequency or are you referring to a specific item under the DRAM Timing Control Screen?

I'm confused... You're saying it's 1066 x2 = 2133? As if this formula was like it use to be with the old dual channel systems 533 x2 =1066mhz. Then, shouldn't it be something like 533.25 x 4 = 2133 going by the quad channel definition, then? Kind of like how the old FSB used to be called "QUAD PUMPED" before QPI took over.

I hope I wasn't sold a "QUAD channel" gimmick -- that won't be good -- because the memory bandwidth is why I purchased this system.

3930k Ordered - Waiting for stock *shrug*
Asus Rampage 4 Extreme - In route to my house now
G.Skill 32 gig 2133mhz - Sitting on desk
Corsair Force GT 120gig SSD - Sitting on desk

Soon... :cool:

Antec 2002 Chassis - AMG 1000 Modified
Asus Rampage IV Extreme (bios 4201)
Intel® Management Engine (firmware 8.1.10.1286)
EVGA GTX 680 - PCI-E @ x16 3.0 (driver 332.21)
Intel 3960x revision C2 @ 4.7ghz daily - rock solid
G.Skill Ripsaw Z - 32 gig @ 2133mhz
Corsair: 2x Force GT, AX1200, H80
Windows 7 64bit

HiVizMan
Level 40
LOL - nah quad channel is the number of slots and how they work together. Double data rate is what you see in CPU-z.

The x 2 part is nothing to do with channels mate. So relax and enjoy your system. What to see bandwidth run some benchmarks and you will see just how much bandwidth you are getting scary it is.

Homewrecker
Level 9
I reinstalled CPU-Z and all the fields were populated. Seemed to have been a bug with the installation. Everything seems good now.