cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impact - No POSTing - Code 00 - Ruh Roh

skellock
Level 7
Dear Diary,

I'm building one of those awesome cookie cutter m-ITX Node 304 boxes and am having problems with the motherboard (Impact) now.

The mobo worked great for day 1 which included: FD Node 304, FD 650 Integra R2 PSU, i5-4670k, 840 evo ssd, onboard video, 2 x Kingston DDR3-1333 2GB, Corsair i90 cooler.

Although I hadn't installed an OS and the RAM was from my old PC, the computer turned on and worked.

Then, my new RAM arrived: 2x Corsair DDR31600 Vengeance Low Profile 4GB. Did the swap, turned it on, but the RAM was being detected as 1333. I changed the timing to 1600 in the bios. Worked great.

Then, I plugged in my GTX 570 and hilarity ensued.

At this point, the board doesn't POST. I'm left with a 00 Code and the CPU fan doesn't spin.

Things I've tried so far:

* pulled the 570 and went back to onboard video
* double checked the pin connections of the power
* reseated the CPU
* installed the stock cooler
* swapped back to the old ram
* tried downloading the latest BIOS but the Asus website was broken
* tried reloading the BIOS from the CD (via thumbdrive and bottom usb2 port), but it restarted so quickly i doubt it worked
* removed the board from the case (in case there was some shorting or whatever)
* unplugged the SSD
* unplugged the CMOS battery for 10 minutes and 1 second

I've got it packed up and ready to RMA, but is there anything I'm missing here?

I don't have a 2nd CPU to try (my other PC is a i7 950), so it *could* be that.

Any thoughts before I ship it back to NCIX?

Thanks!

Steve
14 REPLIES 14

HiVizMan
Level 40
I hope you have RMA'd the CPU too.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

skellock
Level 7
Thanks for the reply. I didn't RMA the CPU.

I figured that if my CPU fan wouldn't spin, it was probably power related. Like one of those funky capacitors on the daughter board blowing or something.

I'll post again when its time for you to say, "I told you so".

HiVizMan
Level 40
Oh no mate - I am one of the few folks who is really happy to be wrong about stuff. All I am interested in is making sure folks have their systems working and doing just what they expect those systems to do.

Do keep me in the loop as to how it pans out mind.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I meant it tongue-in-cheek. 🙂

One of the our neighbouring posters in this forum just discovered he had a bent CPU pin and was coding 00 too.

I fear you're going to be correct.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yeah that happens and folks do not realise just how easy it is for a pin to get misaligned. Over tightening on one corner will cause pins to slide off the pads under the CPU. Then when folks tighten the other corners they bend the pins and sometimes cause those pins to short out and burn.

But lets wait and see.