cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge disparity in temperatures!

pocketdrummer
Level 7
I have been trying to stress test my CPU and I'm getting all sorts of differing temperatures. Overall, Asus temperature monitoring shows me in the high 60s low 70s while HWMonitor and AIDA show me at 83c. That's a MASSIVE difference!

Part of the reason I got this board was so I could have minute control fans to balance temps and noise, however I don't know which numbers to trust.

Can someone shed some light on this?
3 REPLIES 3

industria
Level 7
Same issues on SABERTOOTH Z170 MARK 1, no idea how to overclock something if there is no Software which could Monitor voltage and temps.

For example:
- cpu z Shows 1.3-4v, tuf Monitor 1.5-1.6v
- real temp value 50, tuf Monitor, 35-40
thats so frustraiting

Well, I'm with CPU-Z and Hardware Monitor's numbers and completely ignoring Asus's software at this point.

Intel's extreme tuning utility shows the same numbers as those two applications, and since they're the ones building the processors, I think they know which temperatures to look for in the CPU. It concerns me that Asus might be fudging the numbers to get people to overclock their hardware to higher temperatures than they would consider acceptable normally. For instance, in a video online one of the Asus reps said "Even 85ºC is pretty cool", though if they were going by Asus's software the ACTUAL temperature would be closer to 95ºC, and that's only 10ºC shy of thermal throttling. That's just unacceptable.

I'm think my next system will have an MSI board in it. Between this and the CPU overvolt issue (with seemingly zero response from Asus), I'm starting to lose my trust in the brand. That's saying a lot, because I've been singing Asus' praises for at least the last 5-7 years, and I've built systems for friends and family with Asus boards.

I think some transparency would do everyone some good, before this turns into a VW diesel level problem.

GTVAPSAMTIK
Level 9
Asus Mainboard's BIOS seems to have (-) Offset somewhere that goes for both Voltage and Temp readings. Since Asus software always provide lower values as compare to rest of the software's that I use.