cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enable the RAID functions?

ajamison
Level 7
Ok well I have recently purchased a few HDD that i was going to run in a RAID 1 setup and because i did not install the RAID drivers at Windows 7 Install I am now left with a real predicament

When i change the BIOS mode of the drives from ACHI to RAID (legacy) windows will not boot it goes to a blue screen. I had in the past been able to get this to work but had to do a fresh install of windows and have the installer use the RAID drivers included on the driver CD in the MOBO box. What I want to know is if there is a way to install RAID drivers so that windows will boot. The Main OS drive is not in the RAID array but due to the BIOS setup it needs to be set as RAID (stand alone disk) in order for the others to function as a RAID array.

I basicaly would like windows to read the OS drive as it does now only with its BIOS mode being set to RAID.

Sorry if this is confusing, any help is Appreciated.

Setup:
Crosshair V Formula
AMD Phenom II 1090T
16gb DDR3 1600 RAM
Main HDD : WD 7200 RPM 2 tb drive
Secondary drives wanting to put in the Array: WD 5400 RPM 2 TB

Purpose of the RAID is for a redundant backup solution internally (i do copy the backups offsite once a week)
4 REPLIES 4

bikeman
Level 7
Recommended that you set the raid completed,re-install the operating system,and load raid driver.

bikeman@ASUS wrote:
Recommended that you set the raid completed,re-install the operating system,and load raid driver.
I am thinking this may be my only option but wanted to see if there was a way to make it work without a re-install

HiVizMan
Level 40
Sadly unless you wish to buy a dedicated raid card there is no other way. Re-install OS in RAID mode it is. 🙂
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Sadly unless you wish to buy a dedicated raid card there is no other way. Re-install OS in RAID mode it is. 🙂
Ok that is what I was afraid of thanks for clearing that up for me though