cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero VII RAM QVL?

Membrain
Level 7
Hi all, longtime lurker - decided to post a question after I finished searching the forums first...

I'm thinking on pulling the trigger on a Hero VII and want to use Corsair CMY16GX3M2A2400C11 as my RAM choice...

QVL for memory doesn't list that specific RAM but does list CMZ16GX3M2A2400C10, CMY16GX3M2A2400C10 and CMD16GX3M2A2400C10.

I know the C11 will work in it to allow it to run at stock speeds, but will it be a big deal if the CL is C11 instead of C10 if I want to run the RAM at OC 2400?

I also intend to OC the 4790K going into it as well as using water cooling, so heat is not a factor.

Does anyone know of any issues which might present?
Thoughts?

TiA!
6 REPLIES 6

Menthol
Level 14
I would guess the memory would work just fine, no way to get every kit of memory on the list.
Although you say heat is not a factor, but it is, the biggest factor though is the CPU, they all are different when it comes to overclocking, you will find it will reach a wall where adding more voltage will not allow a higher clock no matter how good your cooling is. The Hero is a very capable
board, all the good components without the clutter of add on modules, a very clean, simple board.

cjsjr249
Level 9
Hey Membrain, Im using that memory with my Hero VII and have had no issues whatsoever. I also have my 4790k OC'd to 4.7@ 1.28V with no problems. Also just enable XMP and the board will automatically up the voltage to match your RAM.

cjsjr249 wrote:
Hey Membrain, Im using that memory with my Hero VII and have had no issues whatsoever. I also have my 4790k OC'd to 4.7@ 1.28V with no problems. Also just enable XMP and the board will automatically up the voltage to match your RAM.

Is your CPU OC maintained with the ram at XMP 2400? My concerns here would be that the XMP setting might be limiting the CPU OC.

Example: With my I7-2700K I can hit 5.2 stable with the ram at stock speed, but if I set the XMP 2133 on the ram my cpu OC will not go past 4.2, this is regardless of trying to manually set voltage settings because I think XMP will/might(?) override settings, or?

Nate152
G.Skill trident x is a good kit for z-97. It's one of the best ram kits on the market, It's cheaper, matches the colors and is on the QVL list.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231589

Membrain
Level 7
Thanks for the replies, I will give them all consideration 🙂

cjsjr249
Level 9
Yes, my cpu i7 4790k maintains a stable 4.7 OC @ 1.27v with XMP enabled 2400 @ 1.65v