cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero VII LAN Issues, Any help appreciated.

Gandyman
Level 7
G'day all!

Bought a Hero VII and it arrived yesterday, did the build till 6 am, booted, installed OS, everything perfect, and oh so sexy!
This board and corsair black/red hardware are made for eachother! However today I started to notice issues with internet, weird anomalies like google.com loading everything except for the Google image itself, downloads stopping part way through and never re starting, outlook.com loading so messed up that its unusable, strange odd things like this. So i figure to myself it could be something to do with the bandwidth allocation software that comes with the utilities, i checked that uninstalled it and everything was still messed up. So i re installed OS, installed drivers and immediately went to download google chrome, Stuck halfway through installation. And again google.com not loading, and not being able to search. Bing.com however loaded instantly and let me search web pages. Mozilla Firefox downloaded fine, but the Nvidia drivers for my ASUS 780 kept stopping halfway. Clearly at this point I was pulling out my hair but had a bright idea, I connected my Galaxy s4 to my wifi, and USB tetherd to my PC. now everything works fine. Google loads, chrome works fine, Nvidia drivers downloaded no hassle.

So this leaves me baffled with my non-existent knowledge of electronics, and left asking this question: Can a faulty LAN on the motherboard cause only SOME web addresses to not load while others work fine? Block some downloads and let others go through perfect? Or am I missing something crucial here?

Ive saved for months to buy this setup and took so much time and care with the build making sure not to miss or mess up anything, so to have it all work 100% excepting the inability to use the internet is really upsetting! Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks for listening,

Brendan

Edit - thought I would mention that the audio levels of the board are crazy low, have to turn my Logitech speakers up to close to maximum to hear a movie, when on my previous board halfway was more then enough. Could this board just be faulty? I thought the sound was supposed to be top-notch on this, and over all my old 90 dollar gigabyte generic board seems to be providing more then this 400 dollar top of the line board can. 😞
11 REPLIES 11

toronto699
Level 13
theres a recent lan driver at the maximus hero Vii driver page

toronto699
Level 13
theres a recent lan driver at the maximus hero Vii driver page http://www.service.asus.com/#!downloads/c1wax just type " maximus vii" select motherboard

Gandyman
Level 7
awesome, thanks for your reply and help, ill try it when i wake up tommorow 🙂 do you think the audio can be helped with new drivers too?

toronto699
Level 13
latest asus driver is 7272 , u might find more audio options in the hidden icon on the lower right click on the speaker symbol in ^ next to the flag lower right , what is wrong with audio? please describe

toronto699
Level 13
go to search and type "sonic studio"

Gandyman
Level 7
Ok so the new LAN drivers seemed to fix a few things, google will load now and things download properly, but games are lag spiking, like sitting on 100ms for about 5 mins, then in the matter of 60 seconds or so it will gradually rise to 1500, then immediately subside. tried with a usb wifi adapter I picked up from work and the latency was completely fine. Do you think I should RMA the board? I really don't want to be without a computer for weeks 😞

Edit -- what seems consistent is anything that downloads via a Microsoft.net framework, 2 examples of that are Google chrome, and Curse client, the connection will time out and it will get stuck at a curtain % for ever, and needs to be restarted a few times for it to complete. Confirmed this doesn't happen with the wifi adapter or my phone. 😞

toronto699
Level 13
http://www.speedtest.net/ would u please do this speed test of your internet connection and tell me about your audio please

Gandyman
Level 7
the speed test is normal, exactly the same with my board as with my wifi adapter, and exactly the same as my old board. The stuff that works works fine, but as you can see by this picture ...

Thats my chrome download that I started before I went to bed lastnight.

Thats the download using the Dlink wifi adapter connecting to the same router/adsl connection as the LAN cable.

The LAN adapter seems to run everything fine, more then fine, lightening fast, except it seems to be blocking some things ... and giving lag spikes in games 😞

As for the sound its just very very quiet .. I have to turn my speakers so load that they hum and hiss to hear my movies properly ... I fiddled with the equalizer a bit and turned everything up on max and it makes it just audible. the sound I can live with ... Internet that lags me out of my games and wont download applicaitons I can't