cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero VII CMOS Replacement Procedure

cranium1
Level 7
Every time I restart my PC, it brings up the "Press F1 to enter setup screen" and i have to enter the BIOS and then exit it. Also, after restarting the time seems to remain the same as when the PC was shut down (unless I use the update time from internet feature). This has led me to believe that my CMOS battery might be dead. My mobo about 3.5 years old.

So I have bought a new CMOS battery and wondering how to install it? I checked the manual but there's nothing there, couldn't find any videos on youtube either.

Edit: If the process is too cumbersome, is there something else I should try first?
3 REPLIES 3

Puffnstuff
Level 10
The cmos battery is just a simple flat watch battery. With the machine off, I cannot emphasize enough to have it in an off state, reach up to the battery holder and push on the retainer at the bottom of the holder allowing it to fall out. Remove it from the case and then slip the new battery into the holder ensuring that its fully seated.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932

Puffnstuff wrote:
The cmos battery is just a simple flat watch battery. With the machine off, I cannot emphasize enough to have it in an off state, reach up to the battery holder and push on the retainer at the bottom of the holder allowing it to fall out. Remove it from the case and then slip the new battery into the holder ensuring that its fully seated.

Actually I was not able to locate it and I was wondering if it was under the armour or something. But I realised it was just hidden under my mammoth GPU! 😜

Thanks though!

Edit: I just realised that my BIOS version is back to 1104 from July 2014! Is that supposed to happen when repalcing the battery?

cranium1 wrote:
Actually I was not able to locate it and I was wondering if it was under the armour or something. But I realised it was just hidden under my mammoth GPU! 😜

Thanks though!

Edit: I just realised that my BIOS version is back to 1104 from July 2014! Is that supposed to happen when repalcing the battery?

The battery and bios version are unrelated so removing power from the board will not change it in any way other than losing the settings.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932