cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero vi new problem w/ cpu_opt fan & liquid cooling.

SinisterDev85
Level 10
Trying to solve this mystery problem that's happening.
I used to use a Coolermaster Seidon 120xl cooler on this rig. I used 2x Jetflow pwm fans in a push/pull configuration for about a year with no problems. They were connected to the cpu_opt header via the supplied Y adapter. Over the holiday i upgraded the cpu and cooler. New cooler is a Corsair H110i gt. Used that for a few weeks.

My wife's gaming rig took a crap, so we built a new Z170 Hero Alpha rig and i did some component swapping between the two Maximus rigs.
The Z170 rig now has the H110i, and i put the Seidon XL back on the Hero vi. That's where the problem started.
First, i removed all remnants of the Corsair Link software off the Hero VI rig. Now I have it setup pretty much the same way it once was.
However the radiator fan is not behaving it used to. (I bought a new jetflo to match the lighting scheme.) Just using a single Jetflo atm. Will probably upgrade back up to two soon.

I ran the fan benchmark/tuning , and afterwards, the pump runs as its supposed to, but the Jet flo fan wouldn't run in Windows, even when the cpu temps got warm. It runs during boot. It runs in the bios, soon as i log into windows, the fan stops. I ended up resorting to something i never do with this board.... 4 way optimization.
After the optimization, the jetflo now runs, but only at 100%!

Not sure what's going on. Never had any problems with this setup. Only difference is that i only have one fan connected to the cpu_opt header, and i used to have the Corsair Link software installed during the brief time i used that cooler. Pretty sure it's completely uninstalled. Even ran a registry cleaner afterwards. Nothing else has changed since i had everything working beautifully a short time ago.
ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero Apex | Intel i9 11900k @5.5ghz | G. Skill Trident Z 32gb@4000mhz | WD SN850x 4gb/WD SN850 2gb | Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1300w | Windows 11 Pro
5 REPLIES 5

SinisterDev85
Level 10
I've seen some forums recommend simply swapping the headers, putting the pump on OPT and the fan on CPU, but i didn't have to do that in the past to get it working properly and i wouldnt want the pump running at 100% constantly, which is what some people said was the case when swapping. I'd rather the fan wear out faster than the pump. Much cheaper to replace a fan. Just hoping to track down what is causing the issue and get it all running the way it used to.
ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero Apex | Intel i9 11900k @5.5ghz | G. Skill Trident Z 32gb@4000mhz | WD SN850x 4gb/WD SN850 2gb | Gigabyte Aorus Master 3080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1300w | Windows 11 Pro

Nate152
Hello SinisterDev

Try connecting the pump to the W_Pump header, use the Y splitter and connect your fans to the cpu fan header. You can reset to defaults then set the cpu fan header to pwm and see if they ramp up and down. Also check the Q-fan setting, with it disabled your fans will run at 100%.

I never used the corsair link software but if the fans are controllable from it you may need to set the cpu fan to ignore.

I seen a couple people posting that the pump rpm on the kraken 61 isn't showing up in the bios but it's showing up in the CAM software. So if the pump rpm isn't showing up in the bios check in corsair link.

Good luck and let me know if this helps you.

SinisterDev85
Level 10
Hey Nate! The Hero Vi doesn't have a w_pump header. Just the cpu and cpu opt header. Im not having any issues with the z170 build anymore. Its my z87 build that's giving me this trouble. I briefly had the H110i in the z87, but when we built the Alpha rig, i put the Corsair in there instead.

So basically, with the Hero Vi, i set it back up the way it used to be. With the CM Seidon, i always had the pump connected to CPU header and the two radiator fans connected to the OPT via Y splitter. Never had a problem with them setup that way. I checked the Q-fan control, everything is still set the same way.
The pump and fan are both 4-pin.

I'm wondering if it's possible that there's still some remnants of the Corsair software messing with the control of the fans, but i did a pretty thorough job of removing it all. I'm somewhat stumped lol.

Nate152
Oh ok gotcha so the cm seidon on the maximus vi hero is what's giving you trouble.

You have it hooked up right - pump on the cpu fan header and fans on the cpu_opt. The fans should ramp up and down with the pump as the cpu_opt header is a slave of the cpu fan header. Whatever the cpu fan header runs at the cpu_opt will run the same.

If you have the cpu fan set to pwm check the temp it's set to ramp the pump/fans.

You could install CCleaner it's a free registry cleaner, it will remove any leftovers from corsair link if there is any.

SinisterDev85
Level 10
Yep, I've been using CCleaner for years! Very helpful tool. Yeah, i never had any troubles with fan control in the past with the Seidon XL setup the way it used to. For some reason the fan won't ramp up with the pump like you were saying. That's how it used to work. It seems to work like that until i log into windows. While bios tweaking, i can hear and see the jetflo go up and down in RPMs. Soon as i log into windows it spins down and stays off. I've tried fan tuning via uefi and fan xpert software. Its so strange. Even changing from standard to turbo in Asus suite used to change the fan's behavior as intended. But now the pump works fine, but the fan won't spin unless i click "full speed" , then it kicks in!

I watched the temps slowly increase, all the way up into the high 60's, saw the pump rpms increasing, but the fan just stays at 0rpm...
I tried doing what some other's suggested and switched the fan and pump to opposite headers. After some tuning it's somewhat working like it's supposed to, but it's still not quite right. Can't figure out what's wrong. My Hero VI is essentially setup exactly the same way it used to be now, except im only using 1 jetflo fan on the radiator atm, where i used to have two... That's the only difference.