cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero Time Clock Problem

Wazooda
Level 7
Hey all,

New build. Hero VI i74770k with Windows 8. Problem is system is not keeping the correct time. In fact, sometimes after doing an Internet time sync, the clock within an hour will go back to an earlier time.

Trying to troubleshoot, I noticed in BIOS that the clock is static (ie not live updating like I've seen in other bioses) and does NOT reflect the new time I update in the OS.... most of the time.

So.... First question. Should the time be live updating in BIOS? If not, then what could this be?

Bad battery even though new motherboard?

Thanks for any help
170 REPLIES 170

Just to be clear, when the UEFI BIOS clock freezes, the Windows time as seen at the bottom right of the monitor does become unreliable and does appear to 'jump' around. If ignored for a few hours, even the date can become incorrect. The Windows time does not freeze like the BIOS time. It constantly changes, but not in line with the real time.
Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.4 GHz / EVGA GTX780 Superclocked / Corsair Vengeance DDR3-2400 MHz RAM 16GB / Asus Maximus Hero VI Motherboard / Corsair HX1050W PSU / Corsair H100i closed loop water cooler / LG Blu Ray DVD CD writer, Asus PB278 Monitor 2560x1440 / Logitech G110 KB / R.A.T. 5 Mouse, Samsung EVO 850 500 GB SSD / Samsung EVO 850 256GB SSD / Seagate 7200 RPM 2 TB HDD / Windows 10 Professional x64

GregH wrote:
Just to be clear, when the UEFI BIOS clock freezes, the Windows time as seen at the bottom right of the monitor does become unreliable and does appear to 'jump' around. If ignored for a few hours, even the date can become incorrect. The Windows time does not freeze like the BIOS time. It constantly changes, but not in line with the real time.

yea thats what im saying mine no longer does this after i did what i posted above, bios clock still doesnt work, my windows clock hasent been off on date or time in over a week

by default you windows clock is actually blocked so it is not capable of correcting the time, you would need to manually do it, which then wont save cause when windows tries to sync during its automatic intervals it just jump around

and as i said i shut my pc down every night, every morning time is still correct, even had my pc freeze lastnight for probly an hour while i was downstairs so the clock was actually frozen an hour behind and when i came back and rebooting time was still correct
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Danair1
Level 7
Hi Colleagues, Well I've tried the various suggestions and searched for MS windows solutions and tried different servers, but all to no avail. Since the mobo upgrade my windows clock will just not keep accurate time either from the internet or when set locally - after each reset the windows clock works for a while then at some point just stops working. Many people here refer to a link with the BIOS clock. Q. Are the two clocks connected and has anyone so far been able to figure out what might be going here ? Cheers from the UK.

Ominous_Penguin
Level 7
I had this problem - I reseated the CMOS battery and then the board wouldn't boot! It powers up and goes through a few q-codes and about 5 seconds in, the q-code goes to 00 and it reboots it's self. The q-code stays on 00 for the reboot. It reboots it's self twice then powers off. The first few times it rebooted several times and I switched the power off myself.

I say 'had' this problem. I went and bought another Hero and this is working fine with all other hardware unchanged.

(This is my 3rd Hero and they've all had the microphone issue.)

Danair1
Level 7
Hi Ominous

You say "had this problem" - Have you now resolved the System time/windows time issue ?

Cheers. . .

Danair1
Level 7
Have cleared the CMOS by moving the jumper for 20 seconds, reset the BIOS to previous settings and Hey Presto - we have system time and windows time. Thanks to Praz. . .

davidhbrown
Level 7
This just started with my Sabertooth Z87. I'm headed to shutdown and try the standby RTC clear... I do have my BIOS settings saved (both on USB and on paper!) Windows 8.1 Pro, BTW. Just added the spring update, but after the problem begain.

Edit 1: The RTC did start working after the standby RTC clear (it's a green power LED on the Sabertooth, not that that matters). After restoring the BIOS settings and continuing to Windows, I then did a restart from Windows, dropped into BIOS to check, and it was still ticking. I then went to the Internet Time settings and told it to "Update now." It returned immediately with "An error occurred while Windows was synchronizing with time.windows.com. This operation returned because the timeout period expired. \r\n\r\n The clock was most recently synchronized on 4/12/2014 at 10:32 PM."

Now, that error is weird. First, I don't believe it was a timeout because it was instantaneous and I know from experience that Windows will wait longer to check the time. Second, it did synchronize.

Could it be that something bad is happening when the OS tries to update the RTC? I guess I'll go shut down and find out...

Edit #2: So far, so good. I shut down at 10:42 PM after searching for and failing to find any utility that would let me read the RTC from Windows. On power-up via a stop in the BIOS, the clock was still counting and was showing 22:42, not 22:32 as it might if the sync with Internet Time had made it stop.

I'll keep my eyes open for this. It's really very annoying because I two-way synchronize all my work files to my file server (and my notebook also does so) --- they could get overwritten if my latest edits make it look like a file is out-of-date code.

Final edit: Sill going okay here. Of course, I don't have the same Hero board you're actually talking about. But I wanted to poke my head in one more time to say "thanks" for the thread and the solution it contained (for me) and wish those of you for whom the problem persists the best of luck.

GregH
Level 7
I have been tracking my BIOS clock freezes and to date, the longest period without a freeze (with the PC in daily use, even if just for an hour in the evening) is 20 days, the shortest period is 1 hour. Fortunately the average is about 12-14 days between freezes. Each time I follow the procedure Raja describes as a fix. With the PC switched off and unplugged from the wall while I was on holiday, it kept time for 22 days. Clock froze within a few hours of switching it on again. Could be a Windows time update thing. Can this be turned off somehow, so that Windows is unable to make a change or even communicate with the BIOS clock?
Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.4 GHz / EVGA GTX780 Superclocked / Corsair Vengeance DDR3-2400 MHz RAM 16GB / Asus Maximus Hero VI Motherboard / Corsair HX1050W PSU / Corsair H100i closed loop water cooler / LG Blu Ray DVD CD writer, Asus PB278 Monitor 2560x1440 / Logitech G110 KB / R.A.T. 5 Mouse, Samsung EVO 850 500 GB SSD / Samsung EVO 850 256GB SSD / Seagate 7200 RPM 2 TB HDD / Windows 10 Professional x64

I offer a fix until time clock issue in bios gets repaired or other issue gets discovered. I have found a correct workaround for windows 7 (not sure about 8 but should be similar) Windows time sync at startup with internet time.. The link will make it simple however I had to set a 30 sec time delay for system to log into internet. When you setup taskschd.msc make sure when you go to edit to set up the various setup options. Working well for me with only about a 15 sec wait using a ssd... Hope this will keep us going with the frozen clocks as they are....

http://crazy4tips.blogspot.com/2010/02/internet-time-sync-at-windows-7-startup.html

Good luck to all...

EDIT:

Just let system on for a couple of hours and clock is exactly 1 hour slow ... like I lost daylight savings time.... will investigate and get back when time permits..... Bummer !!!

2nd EDIT:

OK, looking good... just reset daylight savings and let set for 3 hrs, then used for an hour and shut down..Just now brought sys up and time came up perfect after my few seconds wait.... bios clock not needed...Whew!

PS I got about 4 weeks since bios reset but won't worry about that too much now...lol

FYI...

I have received 3 defective HERO motherboards purchased (not exchanged) from Amazon. I order one and when it arrives, I ship the other back. I plan to do this indefinitely until I get a non defective mobo. My 3rd mobo clock froze up this morning. They have all froze up within 2 weeks of installation.

ASUS, if you want a defective mobo to examine...check with Amazon...they're stocking up.