cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero Time Clock Problem

Wazooda
Level 7
Hey all,

New build. Hero VI i74770k with Windows 8. Problem is system is not keeping the correct time. In fact, sometimes after doing an Internet time sync, the clock within an hour will go back to an earlier time.

Trying to troubleshoot, I noticed in BIOS that the clock is static (ie not live updating like I've seen in other bioses) and does NOT reflect the new time I update in the OS.... most of the time.

So.... First question. Should the time be live updating in BIOS? If not, then what could this be?

Bad battery even though new motherboard?

Thanks for any help
170 REPLIES 170

F_H_S wrote:
After it got stuck, I disabled the Q-fan in the UEFI and just leave the 4 3-pin fans (1 CPU, 3 for the case) run at full speed. I don't think that it is a cooling issue though. I got the stuck clock even by underclocking or no real load on the system. And the Q-Fan should go up to the same cooling if required.

Could the Q-fan with 3 pin fans be an issue?

Hi F_H_S

After you posted with this info I loaded up the board I have here with 3 pin fans and enabled Q-fan for all the fan headers. Unfortunately this has not resulted in the clock freezing so far. If you board has this issue again please contact Raja if possible while it it still in the frozen state. Thanks.

Praz wrote:
Hi F_H_S

After you posted with this info I loaded up the board I have here with 3 pin fans and enabled Q-fan for all the fan headers. Unfortunately this has not resulted in the clock freezing so far. If you board has this issue again please contact Raja if possible while it it still in the frozen state. Thanks.

Hi Raja, hi Praz

I will do that. Windows and office will probably hate getting a 3rd mobo, but let's try. Maybe Raja can drop me a PM on how we could swap the mobo if the clock gets stuck again. I understand you are located in California? Europe here... After we have that I will go back enabling settings and then see what happens.

f

Daronis38 wrote:
***snip*** FHS did you send your board back with the clock running ? ***snip***

No, before I changed it, I reset the CMOS to get the compuet fully working again and to to order a replacement of the board as well as making backups with corerct time stamps. As I found a mobo on stock, I didn't wait for the freeze to occur again. Anyway, as said, the board got damaged in the change.

f

Danair1
Level 7
I have a brand new Hero VI bundle running Win7 x 64 and as I've been reading - guess what? The time on my system is now constantly jumping and completely unreliable which gives major headaches in X-Plane flight sim. I have the latest BIOS, flashed it this morning and still the problem is occurring. From this forum I can see the same problem has been going on for many months. I feel very disappointed as I trusted ASUS kit formerly.

Danair1 wrote:
I have a brand new Hero VI bundle running Win7 x 64 and as I've been reading - guess what? The time on my system is now constantly jumping and completely unreliable which gives major headaches in X-Plane flight sim. I have the latest BIOS, flashed it this morning and still the problem is occurring. From this forum I can see the same problem has been going on for many months. I feel very disappointed as I trusted ASUS kit formerly.

if the clock you talking about is the windows clock and not the bios clock its a different issue

by default the board or the included antivirus blocks windows sync from being able to adjust you time

fix would be
1. open start bar
2. type services, hit enter
3 scroll down to Windows Time
4. click it and even if its already selected reselect the Automatic start option, be sure it states its started
5. click the clock, goto change date and time settings, internet time
6. choose the microsoft one hit sync, should sync pretty quickly
7. restart the pc to ensure it saves everything you did above

my bios clock hasent worked ever as far as ive seen, my windows clock however has never been wrong after doing the above
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Hi Tokens - Thanks for your suggestion which I followed to the letter and the windows clock sync'd as it should.

The problem now is that when this Hero VI PC is shut down the clock stops and then needs resetting as above when next switched on. I've never had this problem with windows before and the other 3 PCs here are fine, their windows clocks never need attention ? UK here, Cheers.

Danair1
Level 7
More. . . During this mornings use of the PC the windows clock jumped time again twice; once by an hour back then an odd number of minutes. It seems as if this is the behaviour that folks have been reporting since last year !

Danair1 wrote:
More. . . During this mornings use of the PC the windows clock jumped time again twice; once by an hour back then an odd number of minutes. It seems as if this is the behaviour that folks have been reporting since last year !

Hello

You seem to have a different issue than what is being reported in this thread. The clock issue in this thread is the time freezing not jumping as you are experiencing.

Danair1
Level 7
Praz, thanks for getting back. Sorry, I meant freezing not jumping. Sometimes windows time has frozen and I've not noticed it. If I re-boot the following day the time and date is till for when I shut down the day before. My Hero VI mobo is a new upgrade along with I7 4770 and 16GB RAM. All is working well except for windows clock it seems. UK here. Cheers for now.

Win7 x 64, I7 4770, ROG Hero VI, 16GB Pro RAM, GTX780Ti. X-Plane 10.25 Global

Tokens210
Level 10
you can try the suggestion i had posted again to see if it was blocked again for some reason, lastime i was in my bios my clock was still frozen yet im pushing more then 7 days of the windows clock being perfectly on time
you may even want to try a different sync then the microsoft one but i believe that would probly be the best for windows

@praz, ive been noticing many ppl having this issue and relating it back to the bios clock, IMO what i believe is happening to some at least is the windows sync clock is being blocked and the windows OS is resulting to trying to check the time anyway possible which i then believe it sees the bios clock, which in turn ends up causing the windows clock to jump backwards

i myself had it happen probly 4 different times before i did as i listed above and since i did that windows clock dead on time all the time and i also shut down my pc everynight danair, ive also been tweaking my bios settings here and there so there have also been a few blue screens yet my clock is still always right
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo