cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hero PWM fan control; do the chassis connectors have individual channels?

jeffsw6
Level 8
I am about to order a new PC. I will have three groups of chassis fans and would like to control each group separately.

Are the CH1, CH2, and CH3 PWM connectors on individual PWM channels, so they can be directed to spin at different speeds?

Alternatively, do the CPU and OPT connectors provide sufficient power for chassis fans? I won't need a CPU fan. This will be a liquid-cooled setup.
9 REPLIES 9

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
Only the CPU and CPU OPT are PWM, and they are controlled together.
The chassis fans 1-3 are voltage controlled, but can be controlled separately.

The CPU and CPU opt are 1A. If you have low power fans like Noctua, you can run more than one off o them.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

Veracis
Level 7
CHA1-3 have 4 pins and are easily controlled using Fan Xpert in AISuite3. Wouldn't that make them PWM controllable? Furthermore they ask that you set the q-something in bios if you are using a 3pin fan so it can adjust them as needed.
i7-4770k @4.2 | EVGA 780ti | Maximus VI Hero | Seasonic 1000W Platinum | Seidon 120v AIO
Trident X 16GB 2400 | Samsung EVO 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | CM 690 III

Logitech G400 Mouse | G710 Keyboard | Razor gaming headset
ROG Swift pg278q G-Sync Monitor

Veracis wrote:
CHA1-3 have 4 pins and are easily controlled using Fan Xpert in AISuite3. Wouldn't that make them PWM controllable? Furthermore they ask that you set the q-something in bios if you are using a 3pin fan so it can adjust them as needed.

No, the 4th pin that would be for pwm control Is held st 5V. They are voltage controlled, not pwm.

They are controlled by the cpu temp, but the temp vs rpm curve can be different for each chassis fan and the cpu fan. But the cpu opt fan uses the curve of the cpu fan.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

Both Geneo and jab383 are correct.

Asus and most manufacturers, only have one true PWM fan header, CHA_FAN (CPU_OPT is only a mirror none controllable, just a mirror of the CPU_FAN). The rest of headers CHA_FAN 1,2,3 even though they are 4pin physically, they are are voltage controlled or what some called fake 4pin.

So just chose careful the fans for each header, all will be binded to the CPU temperature, so really dont matter which you chose, you can controlled them individually, but its important that you dont place PWM fans on CHA_FAN headers, in some cases, they are unstable, to the point even with the FanXpert2 tunning, the lowest voltage is not stablish correctly and in some cases (depending on the fans), they stop.

First check if your pump is PWM or not, if it is use the CPU_FAN header for it. For the rad and case fans, my suggestion is go with Scythe Gentle Typhoons AP15, Asus motherboards with FanXpert2 can take them extremly low or ramp it them up to their max rpms, so you have a very wide range of operation. I leave you a run on GT AP15 on my GENE,

Now if you want to go PWM fans, then you have an issue if you pump is PWM, as asus motherboards only have 1 true pwm fan header (even though you do have a mirror on the CPU_OPT), the problem is that even if you use a PWM splitter, the fans and pump will be ran the way the main header will be, and you wont be able to control them seperated, if you wish to go with pwm fanns then go with a none pwm pump, thats if you wish to control them individually.

Hi,
really frustrated over the fan and noise in my new setup.
I have the M IV Hero, and cooler for CPU is coolermaster nepton 140xl, it sais the fans are PWM.
I have connected the jetfans to chassis 2+3.
In the fancontroller they either are at 0 RPM or jumps to 60% which is like 1600RPM. I cant take them lower in fanexpert 2, its blocked. The range of the fans is 800-2000+ RPM.
So now its like no sound, then a vacum cleaner sound, then no sound....
How can I overide the fans to run at like 800 RPM.
Or should I just change them.
BTW CPU fan sais it runs at 6000RPM, but that is not audiable.
I also have a Fractal design case, is it better to connect to the fan controller on the case..
As it is now it is absolutly not possible to game with this crazy fan changes..

jab383
Level 13
The chassis fan headers are controlled by seperate profiles in either BIOS or AISuite, but all three profiles are based on the CPU temperature sensor. In that they all depend on CPU temperature, they are not "independent channels." The M6E and M6F have OPT_FAN headers in addition to the CPU and CHA headers. For each OPT_FAN header, there is an OPT_TEMP header. When a temperature sensor is plugged into the OPT_TEMP header, that temperature can be used to control the corresponding OPT_FAN.

Each fan header can drive up to 1 amp. Any fan, or combination of fans on a splitter cable, that totals less than that can be connected. A common approach is to use the sort of splitter cable that draws power from a PSU molex and connects only the PWM and tachometer leads to the MB header. I have pump and radiator fans on that sort of connection now.

In your liquid cooled setup, plan on connecting something to the CPU_FAN header. That's to prevent BIOS from hanging in an alarm condition over the lack of CPU cooling. Radiator fan PWM and tach are good choices. I've put the pump tachometer on that header when fans were all controlled elsewhere.

Jeff

Thanks for the detailed reply. I will have just one water loop (with CPU and GPU in series) so the CPU thermal sensor is a reasonable input to the fan speed for all channels. The available current information is also helpful; I wished that information was in the spec sheet or instruction manual for the motherboard.

I am new to water cooling and don't know if the pump I've ordered has a tacho output or PWM control feature. My hope is that it won't make much noise at full speed. 🙂

jab383 wrote:
The chassis fan headers are controlled by seperate profiles in either BIOS or AISuite, but all three profiles are based on the CPU temperature sensor. In that they all depend on CPU temperature, they are not "independent channels." The M6E and M6F have OPT_FAN headers in addition to the CPU and CHA headers. For each OPT_FAN header, there is an OPT_TEMP header. When a temperature sensor is plugged into the OPT_TEMP header, that temperature can be used to control the corresponding OPT_FAN.

Each fan header can drive up to 1 amp. Any fan, or combination of fans on a splitter cable, that totals less than that can be connected. A common approach is to use the sort of splitter cable that draws power from a PSU molex and connects only the PWM and tachometer leads to the MB header. I have pump and radiator fans on that sort of connection now.

In your liquid cooled setup, plan on connecting something to the CPU_FAN header. That's to prevent BIOS from hanging in an alarm condition over the lack of CPU cooling. Radiator fan PWM and tach are good choices. I've put the pump tachometer on that header when fans were all controlled elsewhere.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, are you 100% sure that all of chassis fan headers can safely push 1Amp each on a Hero VII? I have a 140mm case fan that pulls 0.14A like I assume they are designed for - but I also have three 230mm case fans that pull 0.40A each. I've read about chassis fans connections bricking ASUS boards, and I don't want to push it. Also have a noctua D15 on both cpu fan headers if that adds to the stress, as I would be using every single fan header.

jab383
Level 13
That's what ASUS says. I've connected two 140mm to one header plus three 200mm each to their own header. Each controlled header would have its own MOSFET -- that's what sets the limit -- so the stresses are supposed to be independent. They do depend on having the 8-pin PSU connection.

Jeff