cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heres a though for all of us that had Memory probs

EVIL_CONSERVATI
Level 7
So from what I understand the Bull Dozer has a significantly different memory controller. So all the work we did with the Denebs to get the memory to work and hours to weeks of overcolcking to fast and stable conditions will be a mute point if we upgrade to the B.D. ? It will be like starting all over again ? Geesh Cant wait ..

Anybody have any projections of the initial cost of the B.D. upon release ?
1100 BE Liquid Cooled, CHV, 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 1866 @ 2032, two ASUS ATI 3870's liquid cooled O.C.ed to 890Mhz, 3 Velociraptor 500G in raid 0, ocz SSD boot drive, 1200W Thermaltake P.S.
10 REPLIES 10

bern43
Level 7
Bulldozer should have a stronger memory controller, so hopefully it will be easier.
Asus Maximus Extreme Z, Intel 2600K at 4.5, Noctua NH-D14 cooler, MSI GTX 670 PE/OC, Dell U2412 monitor, 8GB Gskill Sniper memory at 1866, Corsair HX850 Power Supply, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Samsung 128 gb 830 ssd, WD RE4 2 tb X 2 in raid 1, Intel 320 870 gb ssd, Filco Tenkeyless keyboard, Logitech G400 Mouse, Audioengine A5 speakers, HP Officejet 6500 printer

Praz
Level 13
It is more about trace/signal optimization then Bulldozer having a stronger IMC. The 990 boards are designed for Bulldozer with compatibility in mind for earlier processors. Future AGESA releases will make memory clocking harder when using current CPUs.

At least with Thubans using the tools at hand can result in respectable speeds still being achieved. I see an average of 15% higher memory clocking and approximately 150MHz NB speed gain when properly tuning the C5F compared to the C4F. Drive Strength adjustments play a key role in reaching full stability when pushing memory/NB speeds. Also need to keep in mind the relationship of VCORE, CPU/NB, NB and HT voltages to each other and what changing these voltages is actually doing. Altering any of these voltages also changes the corresponding timing window. Examples are noise threshold, jitter and clock crossings. When on the ragged edge a change of 0.005V can mean the difference between not booting into Windows and complete stability.

Fro pre-Thuban processors I prefer the C4F. On that board AGESA is tuned for those CPUs and the same clocks will not be reached on the C5F. In the end I guess it is all about setting our expectations realistically within the limitations of the components on hand and fully using the tools we have to get the most out of those limitations.

chrsplmr
Level 18
Praz.. nobody explains it like you.. thank you.

Sir, Have you done any testing with the dom.gt1866?
Do you have an idea of why it isnt on the qvl?
Is there something I'm not seeing...or did I just
get a lucky t1100/ram combo?
Hate to be ding'n on this question, but just trying
to figure out why some are on it...well that wont run, and
this isnt.
(I still point to JJ's OC Vid w/t1100/dom.gt.1866..my video,
using t1100/7130mb of 8000..and of course Chew/FX/dom.gt.1866/WR/1 stick,no.1 lane)
I await your respected answer...thanks.

NemesisChild
Level 12
I actually got better memory and CPU overclocking results with my 1090T on the CH4F.

So much so, I've been tempted to rank my CH5F and replace it with my trustworthy CH4F until BD arrives.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

NemesisChild wrote:
So much so, I've been tempted to rank my CH5F and replace it with my trustworthy CH4F until BD arrives.

Actually peoples should not purchase a board until the CPU is release no ? Especially we don't know how perform this CPU.

Praz
Level 13
I don't have any Dominators to test with. Normally memory not being on the QVL doesn't mean it will not work. Just that ASUS has not tested the memory with the board.

To surpass the C4F requires patience and tuning. If one doesn't have the time for this then the C4F is the better option.

EVIL_CONSERVATI
Level 7
So again, any projections on retail release price ?
1100 BE Liquid Cooled, CHV, 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 1866 @ 2032, two ASUS ATI 3870's liquid cooled O.C.ed to 890Mhz, 3 Velociraptor 500G in raid 0, ocz SSD boot drive, 1200W Thermaltake P.S.

lightning363
Level 7
here is the million dollar question. what if the bulldozer cpu still causing a problem to our chfv just like what we are dealing right now? then whats next?
Mobo: Crosshair V Formula v 990fx
CPU: Phenom II 1090T x6
CPU Cooler: corsair H60
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6950 XXX BE
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) pc12800
HDD: Ocz agility2 SSD 90G
PSU: Ultra X4 1000W +80 Gold
bios ver: 0506
case: cooler master HAF932

lightning363 wrote:
here is the million dollar question. what if the bulldozer cpu still causing a problem to our chfv just like what we are dealing right now? then whats next?

I want to talk about it also this morning but....... I hope the main reason it's not yet release is because they try to have a better quality of yield.