cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Volts when I overclock

Backfire1
Level 7
When I raise the cpu ratio my Hero z97 motherboard automatically raises my volts above 1.3. When I run a burn intest the temps will rise to 100 c and then crash. When I go in and try to adjust my voltage to offset or to adaptive the volts are to low and the system will crash. My question is what is the best way to set voltage with out using manual settings? I tried raising the turbo boost volts in adaptive but when I check them when I am doing a burn in they do not rise any more than before I adjusted them. I am making changes in the bios but not seeing them when I get into windows. Any help would be appreciated.

P.S I am coming from an AMD 1090t so I am strugling with the UEFI bios and the way intel overclocks.

Oh yea I almost forgot my CPU is a 4790k.
12 REPLIES 12

antisect
Level 7
I know this really doesn't answer your question but you really need to use manual settings when checking for stability, using adaptive when stress testing your chip is generally a bad idea....volts can go way too high.
Once you've got it stable using manual settings you can then enter that into the adaptive setting (just remember to change it back to manual if you do any more stress testing)

Backfire1
Level 7
I will give that a try. I guess I need to find a stable volt to apply to offset or adaptive. I will report back my findings. My biggest concern was making adjustments in bios for adaptive turbo and not seeing it in cpuz or aida64.

Backfire1
Level 7
My first run with every thing set to auto.
Turbo V-core = 1.166
4400 MHZ
max temps under theses stress test.
Prime version 28.4 = 89 c.
Prime version 26.6 = 67 c.
AIDA64 = 69 c.

My next post will include manual v-core.

Backfire1
Level 7
I kinda fumbled on my above temps. The temps that I wrote down are for the core # 3. Not the total CPU temp. So the temps from above are higher than the total CPU temp.

Anyhow I did the test again in manual mode and set the v-core to 1.200
max temps under stress test @ v-core 1.200
- Prime version 26.6 = 84 c and core # 3 = 96 c
- AIDA64 = 59 c and core # 3 = 76 c

I don't think I can go higher than 1.200 volts. Temps start to get out of hand. I will try again with v-core @ 1.180

Backfire1
Level 7
I did run one more test. I have ran out of time today.

4600 MHZ
v-core 1.180
AIDA64 = 58 c and core # 3 = 74 c

I also played around with the adaptive v-core and still had no luck. In the end it seems that if I leave the v-core in auto it will run the v-core up and over 1.320 volts. If I run it in adaptive it will not supply enough volts and system will crash. If I run in manual mode system stays at those volts and is not efficient and uses power unnecessarily. In the end I set my multiplier at auto and set the v-core to adaptive and that seems to be a great. It throttles up when the turbo kicks in and throttles down when their is no load on the CPU. I just wish I could get that to work when I over clock. Oh well what is 200 MHZ.

Backfire1
Level 7
Wow, I thought that I would have had more help in this matter. It seems that I was sadly mistaken. I am somewhat disappointed to be honest.

Backfire1 wrote:
Wow, I thought that I would have had more help in this matter. It seems that I was sadly mistaken. I am somewhat disappointed to be honest.

Hi Backfire1 and sorry to here of your disappointment, however there are many recent threads covering your topic.

Read this authoritative article and pay special attention to the CAVEAT mentioned toward the end: http://www.overclockers.com/3step-guide-to-overclock-intel-haswell

Should you encounter any specific issues, Just ask:D
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

antisect
Level 7
what cooler are you using Backfire1?

Just for reference i'm running Adaptive Mode at 1.216, also CPU Cache Voltage in Adaptive Mode 1.210.
Chip at 4400 MHZ....
This gets my temps around 75c at the highest (not forgetting to switch from adaptive mode to manual when stressing), i could probably get more speed out of it but i'm happy so far.

and your link doesn't work MeanMachine

Quote:

and your link doesn't work MeanMachine

Thanks for the heads up antisect, I fixed it, so it should work now.:eek:
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]