cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help updating BIOS from 1004 to 3304

wissman
Level 7
Hello guys .. this is my first post so i will like to introduce my system aswell 😛

I got an i7-2700k with Maximus IV Extreme-Z mobo 2x Corsair 4GB RAM (total of 8GB) Nvidia Geforce GTX 590 an OCZ Vertex 3 SSD Super flower flower Power supply 650W..

I am also running under win7 64 bit!

So i am having this problem .. trying to flash my bios with the new one 3304 but i am getting an error 55 on my MOBO and my screen is just black .. is like not sending signal to my monitor to open .. So i used the ROG connector to flash back to 1004 .. anyone can help me out with this what is the problem and i can't update? Or to the new bios 3402

Please help me out with this 🙂 Cheers!!
13 REPLIES 13

moorhen2
Level 10
Welcome to the forum, can i ask why you want to flash to bios 3304,the 3 series are for those who want to use Ivybridge cpu's on this board,and you have a Sandy bridge cpu,so i cant understand why you need to upgrade the bios,was the system running ok before the borked flash, ????. Code 55 is a memory propblem,ie "memory not detected",i would be inclined to use one stick of ram,and try it in all 4 slots one slot at a time,to see if you can boot,then use the second stick and go through the same procedure,this will eliminate memory problems.

If this does'nt help,then we will try something else.!!!
ASUS CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z
AMD FX 8350 (1252)
INTEL CORE I7 2600K (3134A867)
ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME-Z (0002)

OCZ VERTEX 3 120 SSD
GIGABYTE 890FXA UD7 REV 2.1 (F3)
GIGABYTE 890FXA UD7 REV 2.0 (F3)
VARIOUS AMD CPU's
8 GIG G-SKILL SNIPER LOW VOLTAGE 1600
4 GIG G-SKILL RIPJAWS X 2133 C9
8 GIG CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1600 C8 (HYNIX)
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 800D
CORSAIR HX1000W PSU
2X RADEON HD6970'S XFIRE
4X SAMSUNG F3 1T HDD's 2X RAID 0
CUSTOM WATERCOOLING

HiVizMan
Level 40
Hello mate

I am going to guess that you tried to do the BIOS update in your OS, and that the problem started once you had to reboot.

Here is a possible couple of things you can try that could b a fix for you.

• Switch over to your B bios.
  • If you system now works as it should, use the flash backk tool to cross flash to the A bios. A step by step guide is found in your manual.
  • If not, then try removing your ram and test each DDR3 slot one at a time. I found that the first two slots would not work with error 55. But the furtherest two did work.

If you look at my sig there is a guide that Raja wrote that is aimed at the three series BIOS update. It is a pretty significant update and changes the firmware. I think that process was not completed correctly when you did your update and that is why you are having these issues. But let us see how the three options I provide pan out.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Well the reason i wanna update my bios is because of some system stability thinkies that is mentioned on the update.. what do you think?Shall i update or not ?^^

HiVizMan
Level 40
My honest opinion is do not update to a three series bios unless you have a Ivy CPU. If you do wish to update your BIOS please do follow the guide in my sig - to the letter.

I am not sure I now understand what you are asking. Have you updated your BIOS? When did you get post code 55 and what BIOS are you currently running.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
My honest opinion is do not update to a three series bios unless you have a Ivy CPU. If you do wish to update your BIOS please do follow the guide in my sig - to the letter.

I am not sure I now understand what you are asking. Have you updated your BIOS? When did you get post code 55 and what BIOS are you currently running.

I updated my BIOS to the latest one but after i get the error 55 i used the ROG Connector method to flashback to the old 1004 BIOS .. now i am under 1004 BIOS and all running fine .. but i just wanted to update to the latest one .. so i guess they are just no differences at all except of the support of new CPU's right?

" So i guess i will stay on 1004 one 😛 "

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yes that is correct. The three series BIOS are for the Ivybridge CPU. The update also installs a firmware update that is needed for the Ivybridge CPU. If you are running a SB such as the 2700K there is no need to do the update at all.

Enjoy your system.

Aight thanks alot for the support..

HiVizMan wrote:

The three series BIOS are for the Ivybridge CPU.
... If you are running a SB such as the 2700K there is no need to do the update at all.

... just curious - as to how & where can that be confirmed ??

I didn't hear / haven't heard anything from the ASUS Level 2 techs (since 3103 issues) that said the 3xxx series updates ...
... were for the Ivy Bridge CPUs / builds "only" ...

ex: 3103 - cleaner splash screen, improved boot time, some RAM compatibility improvements (XMP native timings) ...
... all of which Sandy Bridge builds benefited from ...
- M4EZ - 1: 3510 - 2: 1004 / i7-2600K / Redline 2133 16GB / Win7 Pro x64
- v.3510 / 8.0.0.1351 - v.8.1.0.1263 / 10.8.0.1303 - v.11.2.0.1006
- RevoDrive3x2 240GB - OS / Vector 256GB x2 RAID0 - OS / Vertex3 MI 120GB - OS / P'9230 3.0 2TB - B/U
- 9260-8i BBU - CacheCade Pro Vertex3 120GBx2 RAID0 SSD Caching - Const ES SAS RAID10 GHS - Data
- GTX580 3GB HC2 / Xonar Essence STX / ST1200G / TJ10B-W / ZR30w / SP 2500 2.1
- Water: Swiftech/Koolance/Tygon/EVGA/MIPS - Wind: SST/Noctua/Cougar

HiVizMan
Level 40
The updates include a firmware management update that is needed for the Ivy bridge processors. The BIOS update will of course work for SB processors, but there is no need to do so. That is all - if any ROG user wishes to update their BIOS when they do not have an Ivy CPU they can do so and if the flash is carried out correctly in the proper manner then there is no problems most of the time.

I personally do not recommend any bios update just for the sake of updating a bios. I spend a fair amount of time and posts dealing with people who have flashed bios's when nothing was broken and needed fixing only to break something doing the update.

There are risks attached to flashing a BIOS. Simple as that. Why take unneeded risk? Not logical to me. If the gain or benefit is greater than the risk. The hell yes do the update.

So to sum up, of course you can use the three series BIOS with the SB processor. Is there a real need to do so, well not in my view. 🙂