cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Help] RIVE with unknown S/N

asfgbdnf
Level 8
hI guys,

Received my second RIVE board today. Last four digits on the S/N sticker shows 4102, I guess that's bios version, that implies this board is manufactured later than May 2013.
When I try to use AI suites to read out the S/N and verify if it matches the S/N sticker. AI suites give me 'MB-1234567890'.
Any one encounter this problem before?
28 REPLIES 28

Nodens
Level 16
You have to extract the module using AMI Aptio UEFI tools and inspect it under a hex editor while knowing the offsets of the data. Or you can download the FD44Editor from the same link I gave you above and try to open backup.bin with it and see if the data loaded on the editor look appropriate. Notice though that not every board is supported by FD44Editor.

Now what can cause it? Apart from the two options I mentioned in post #16, it can be cause by corruption of the data in the chip.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Nodens wrote:
You have to extract the module using AMI Aptio UEFI tools and inspect it under a hex editor while knowing the offsets of the data. Or you can download the FD44Editor from the same link I gave you above and try to open backup.bin with it and see if the data loaded on the editor look appropriate. Notice though that not every board is supported by FD44Editor.

Now what can cause it? Apart from the two options I mentioned in post #16, it can be cause by corruption of the data in the chip.

thanks for your reply. have you had exact same problem in the past and what causes corruption of data in chip. does it imply that my rive is pre-owned and last owner didnot flash bios properly??

Nodens
Level 16
I've had the issue after using ERALL.ROM to go back to 1xxx from 2xxx versions which were really buggy on my system and prevented normal booting (and the cap converter flashes both chips). No it does not imply anything of the sort. But do you actually have the issue or are we talking about a software issue? And even if it is, it's entirely cosmetic because the S/N there is not used anywhere.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Nodens wrote:
I've had the issue after using ERALL.ROM to go back to 1xxx from 2xxx versions which were really buggy on my system and prevented normal booting (and the cap converter flashes both chips). No it does not imply anything of the sort. But do you actually have the issue or are we talking about a software issue? And even if it is, it's entirely cosmetic because the S/N there is not used anywhere.

I'M experiencing this problem, don't know if it is a software issue. But I never tried those stuff you did (go back from 2xxx to 1xxx). I just had this problem out of box, I just feel it's bizarre because my old r4e can read out correct s/n.

asfgbdnf wrote:
I'M experiencing this problem, don't know if it is a software issue. But I never tried those stuff you did (go back from 2xxx to 1xxx). I just had this problem out of box, I just feel it's bizarre because my old r4e can read out correct s/n.

Did you check backup.bin with FD44Editor? Is the S/N present there? This will tell you if it's a software issue.

RealBench Developer.

Nodens wrote:
Did you check backup.bin with FD44Editor? Is the S/N present there? This will tell you if it's a software issue.

Yes, I tried. S/N and UUID are empty in FD44Editor.

Zka17
Level 16
Just out of curiosity, why someone would need the SN displayed in a software inside the OS? Until the system works that info would not help anything... and when it will broke then the standard troubleshooting anyway involves removing the mobo from the system - so you can check the stickers...

Zka17 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, why someone would need the SN displayed in a software inside the OS? Until the system works that info would not help anything... and when it will broke then the standard troubleshooting anyway involves removing the mobo from the system - so you can check the stickers...

you can verify three s/n (on the box, on the mobo, and the one in the chip) to make sure those 3 numbers match.

Nodens
Level 16
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1726429

Read this so you can repair it.

RealBench Developer.