cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Rampage IV extreme can't get past BIOS - My Problem in 3 Acts

bazinfan
Level 7
Hey, guys, I'm really stumped so I really hope the community here will be able to help me figure this out.

Here's an account of what has been going on:

Preamble (in case there are clues here that matter)

1. If it works, let it work

For the past few months my computer has been having a hard time restarting. It would go into a BIOS splash screen but not actually load anywhere that would allow me to access the BIOS (mobo code 99 then 0E). I would usually have to restart the computer several times, often shutting the power down completely, and occasionally I tried removing the USB ports. Nothing I did worked with consistent results so my routine to get the computer on was probably more like a rain dance than a protocol. Still, it worked, and everything else seemed OK with the computer as soon as I got into windows.

Act 1 (the inciting incident)

2. The Calculator of Impending Doom

Two days ago Windows 10 started acting strangely (the calculator wouldn't open, then the Microsoft app store wouldn't open when I thought I needed to download a new version of the calculator). I found and clicked the Windows app troubleshooter button and though it appeared nothing happened after clicking it several times, the calculator started working again so I was satisfied enough to move on with my life.

That's when I decided to restart my computer on the off-chance there was a Windows update that needed installing... and I haven't been able to get back into Windows since.

Act 2 (things get worse)

3. What the?

At first, I thought I was dealing with my usual hassle startup routine. Except my computer never got past the normal error codes (99 and then 0E forever). I tried removing all the USB inputs (keyboard, mouse, camera) and it was sort of like before: every once in a while the stars would align and I could get into BIOS but as soon as I got in there it appeared all of my RAM wasn't showing up - only 24 out of 32.

4. RAM? Is that you?

So, dutifully, I decided all of this weirdness must be due to a bad stick of RAM. I started working on different combinations to see if I could get the computer to start. No matter the combination of RAM or even a single stick, I couldn't get the computer to regularly boot into the BIOS. Every once in awhile I would get past the 99 to 0E error and make it into BIOS (the American Megatrends screen prompted me to press F1) but as soon as I saved/exited I would hit the 99 to 0E error and have to keep restarting again.

So, being a devout follower of computerism, a religion involving lots of prayer, I thought, maybe I need to set up XMB w the proper settings for my particular RAM. Obviously that was a silly thought and my problem remained.

5. d6 perception check

Not only did my monkeying around w different combinations of RAM sticks (including old sticks I knew worked just fine) not make any changes but I started noticing a new error code after trying to restart using the MemOK button. A d6 error just after code 31 (memory initialization, I think). 6 BEEPS before it moved on to hit a few more d6 Beeps along the way through all the normal start up codes, eventually making it to the now infamous 99 to 0E for eternity unless I interrupt.

I moved my graphics card to the slot suggested in the manual. At this point I was just doing things. There was no logic. My monitor had/has been broadcasting everything just fine. I just didn't understand the d6 code, which has now gotten extreme. 6 BEEPS at least 4 times every time I restart the computer and I still can't get into BIOS consistently and I definitely can't get through to Windows.

Act 3 ( The old computer can't come to the phone right now. Why? Oh cause it's dead.)

6. My God, what have I done??

I stopped trying to restart my computer when I pushed the restart button, passed through the multiple d6 codes (complete with 6 BEEPS each), and got into BIOS but each thing I did in BIOS (press F5 to set optimized defaults in case something magically changed, save and exit) caused the computer to BEEP 6 times and report a d6 error. However, this time I got past the BIOS screen (sweet mother of boards this hell is finally over!) only to see a screen that read: "Missing operating system_"

Uh oh.

7. Ya dingus!

Here's where I'm hoping this awesome community will be able to help me solve this problem. I have a lot of work I need my computer for and I'm really kind of freaking out right now.

So what do you think happened? What should I try and do to fix this? Any and all suggestions are VERY welcome. This is the first time I've had a computer issue I couldn't diagnose.

Thank you all very much in advance!

Here are my specs. Let me know if I've left anything out:

Oh, I should mention, though I have this monster overclocking board I have not done anything like that ever. I know I know I'll get to it later if I can fix this thing.

Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Pentium i7
Corsair Vengeance 2400 8GB x4
eVGA GeForce GTX 1070
4x WD RE4 500 GB Enterprise Hard Drive, 3.5 Inch, 7200 RPM, SATA II, 64 MB Cache (WD5003ABYX)
2x Intel 320 Series 120 GB SATA 3.0 Gb-s 2.5-Inch SSD
1 REPLY 1

vennacher
Level 7
I appreciate your attempts to describe what is happening, it is really tough when it looks like everything is going wrong. Easiest thing to say is that some component is going bad, but that doesn't offer much help. I think first is to see if you can get your computer to reliably boot into the bios. So would strip it down to 1 stick of ram, your graphics card and no disks and try booting into bios several times. If no success then clear your CMOS, if no success reflash your BIOS. Key is that you can reliably get into bios, and then can build upon that.
MB : Rampage IV BE. - Bios 0801
CPU : i7 3970x @ 4500 MHz, Offset +0.030v, Regular LLC, Fixed Frequency 750, C1E Enabled, C3/C6/C7 Disabled
CPU VCCSA: Manual 1.150v, Regular LLC, Fixed Frequency 500
RAM : Corsair Vengeance @ 1866 MHz - 64GB
Disks : Raid0 2x Intel 520 480GB; 2x Seagate 2TB
GFX : EVGA GTX690
Audio : Creative X-FI Titanium HD
PSU : Corsair AX1200i
Optic BD\DVD : Lite-On Blu-Ray; Samsung DVDRW
Cooler\Case : Corsair H100i v2 2; Silverstone TJ07