cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[HELP] PCIe And Graphics Card Setup Problems

OuTLaWOwnz
Level 7
I need some help correctly placing my PCIe cards into my Maximus VI Extreme motherboard for maximum performance. The cards i have are:

*nVidia GTX Titan (PCIe 3.0 x16) - Performance priority at the expense of any other card.
*nVidia GT210 (PCIe 2.0 x16) - This is only used for CUDA and PhysX so bandwidth/performance is not a big concern.
*Adaptec 6405 RAID (PCIe 2.0 x8) - Performance and bandwidth matters but GTX Titan takes complete priority.
*Auzentech X-FI HomeTheater (PCIe 1.1 x1) - Only x1 support so performance doesnt matter at all.

I currently have them configured like this:

1. PCIe 3.0/2.0_x16/x8_1 - Adaptec 6405
2. PCIe 3.0/2.0_x16_A2 - GTX Titan
3. PCIe 3.0/2.0_x8_3 - GT210
4. PCIe 3.0/2.0_x8_4 - X-Fi

In this configuration the BIOS refuses to POST with the GTX Titan. To see the BIOS I have to plug the monitor into the GT210. I have not yet booted into windows with the GT210 to confirm if the GTX Titan starts working there. The GTX Titan works fine in both BIOS and Windows if I remove the GT210. The manual only covers how to set the cards up for SLI and not for normal non-SLI multi PCIe card setups. Can someone suggest a slot configuration or BIOS setting that will solve my POST issue and maximise the GTX Titan performance please? I heard rumor that slot 1 native x8 may be faster than slot 2 x16 but I havnt been able to find any solid info.
Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2

HiVizMan
Level 40
Place your Titan in slot 1
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

OuTLaWOwnz
Level 7
I'll give it a go. Although it means having to drain my water cooler and cut new pipes for the graphics card. I have benchmarks for the x16 plx in slot 2. Will be interesting to compare and see if theres any difference with the native 8x.