Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help overclocking 4790k and maximus vi hero

pdastrly
Level 8
I need a dummies guide to oc or some help
194 REPLIES 194

47 is stable temps are 85 max, relying to find the minimum stable voltage. How long do you recommend running prime for? Seen people say 24 hours just to be sure, but maybe I can do less while messing with volts still....

1.35 was not stable for 47. Trying 1.38 but it is still throttling, temps only in the 80's. Never got to 100 for sure, it throttles pretty quickly after turning on prime and I'm watching temps the whole time. Even turning off adaptive thermal monitor doesn't help.

Is there another setting to stop the throttling?

thanks nate, overclock still holding 😉

Nate152
It shouldn't be throttling due to heat and it shouldn't be down clocking when running prim95. I'm not so sure it is throttling due to heat, it may just be down clocking. Try setting your windows power plan to high performance and disabling speedstep in the bios. Is it still throttling/down clocking?

mlsthilaire
Level 7
Yes it is. Speed step is off and power plan is high performance. I am watching the core speed go from 4698 to 4598 seems to happen when temps are around 86.

Any other ideas?

mlsthilaire
Level 7
I have the voltage at 1.39 and 47 multi but still won't run prime for more than 15 mins without crash. Needs more volts but can't due to underclocking 😞

Nate152
Ok let's back off your overclock and see what happens. Try 1.30v and cpu core ratio 46. You only need to run prime95 for a few minutes. I run it for just 3 minutes. (small FFT test) If it crashes, back off the cpu core ratio to 45 and test again.

mlsthilaire
Level 7
Ok I am not sure which of these was causing the problem but it stopped throttling after I did the following:
Cpu current capability from auto to 140 %
Cpu thermal control 120
Enabled Vrm spread spectrum
Intel adaptive thermal monitor disabled

Now to see if I can find a stable voltage at 47 multi.

Nate152

Ok throttling returned but I figured out why. I was using speed fan and the ai suite for temps but they are apparently not correct. The real temp application as well as Intel extreme tuning showed me getting to 100c which is why it is throttling.

I set the voltage to 1.367 which keeps me under 100 during prime and it is stable for 5 to 6 minutes minutes, eventually crashes though. Using prime small TFT 8 threads....other tests don't hit those high temps. Passes Intel extreme tuning stress test.

I am fairly certain with this overclock it won't crash during normal operations, let me know what you think.