cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[HELP] Overclocking 4770k

nurzt
Level 7
Friends,
I have an Maximus VI Hero + i7 4770k(stock cooler) + 16gb ddr3 1866 and i want to overclock a little bit to 4.0ghz or 3.9 minimum until i buy a new WC.

Could you guys help me posting BIOS settings? I'am a little lost since i dont overclock since x58(old 980x + 480 days).

Thanks! 😉
8 REPLIES 8

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
There is a sticky on this forum that is a good overclocking guide for Maximus VI boards.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

Nate152
Hello nurzt, Welcome to the ROG forum. I can help you overclock if you'd like. Could you list your cpu cooler please?

Nate152 wrote:
Hello nurzt, Welcome to the ROG forum. I can help you overclock if you'd like. Could you list your cpu cooler please?

I'am using the stock intel cooler, i would like a 3.9 or 4.0ghz 24/7 Overclock

Nate152
OK, we can try 4.0 GHz. Can you download cpu-z, real temp or Hwmonitor and prime95. We will need these to test for stability and we need to know what cpu temps are.

Nate152 wrote:
OK, we can try 4.0 GHz. Can you download cpu-z, real temp or Hwmonitor and prime95. We will need these to test for stability and we need to know what cpu temps are.

I'am not at home right now, but as i remember i have 40c on CPU @ 3.9 turboboost.

I already have prime95 and hwmonitor.

Could you post a bios setting so i can work on?

Nate152
My bios is a little different than yours. If you are just overclocking the cpu all you really need to use is the cpu core ratio and cpu core voltage. No two cpu's are created equal so cpu core voltage will vary from a little to a lot. Just to see where you are with temps with the stock cooler, I would run prime95 at stock settings with Hwmonitor open and see what maximum temps are showing.

Nate152 wrote:
My bios is a little different than yours. If you are just overclocking the cpu all you really need to use is the cpu core ratio and cpu core voltage. No two cpu's are created equal so cpu core voltage will vary from a little to a lot. Just to see where you are with temps with the stock cooler, I would run prime95 at stock settings with Hwmonitor open and see what maximum temps are showing.

Thanks man, as soon as i'am home i will run this out

Nate152
Sure no problem, Temperature controls how far you will be able to overclock, when running prime95 you want to see 80c or below. if it spikes to 85c this will be ok. Doing this at stock settings first will give you an idea of how much head room you have for overclocking.