cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Needed With New Build: Hangs on Q-Code 34

LazarusLong
Level 7
Any help would be appreciated. System specs to follow-

Powered up and system booted. When I turned on the monitor it was already into BIOS. I moved into the Advanced menu, SATA configuration and set the SATA mode to [RAID mode] with the intent of setting up a RAID 0 configuration. I thought I saved my change, then exited BIOS. The computer booted to my Windows 7 installation DVD and did not appear to be setting up RAID; perhaps I missed my chance to press whatever I was supposed to in order to access the RAID utility. It appeared to be setting up to install Windows, which was not what I wanted, so I pressed the reset with the intent to go back into BIOS and figure out where I went wrong.

Problem is, now it will not go to BIOS-I get no signal to my monitor and the Q-Code display on the motherboard is showing 34. I read around here and tried a couple things like hitting the Clear CMOS button on the back panel, changing the BIOS with the BIOS button on the board, using different monitor cords. Everything is powered on and lots of pretty lights, but no POST messages and no access to BIOS...just a dark screen. The nice little fan monitor display shows the CPU in the low 40's range for temperature, the CPU fan hovering around the high 800-low 900 range. Annoyingly, it also has a scrolling 'boot ok' message.

OK, just tried something else--when it was at code 34 I pressed F10, which I think would save and quit if it was in BIOS, and it seemed to do something--the optical drive wound up, my KB and mouse went dark, the Q Code changed to AA, and the optical drive slowed back down to a stop. Still no display showing.

Any idea what I need to do here? I am a newish builder (last full build was about 12 years ago) so I may need a bit of hand-holding.

Specs:
Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
Intel i7-4960X
4x8GB Patriot Viper PC3-17000 2133MHz DDR3
Asus Geforce GTX 780Ti DirectCU II OC
Creative Sound Blaster ZX
Silverstone Strider Gold 1200W PSU
2xSeagate 3.5" 2TB 6GB/s SATA HDD
2xAsus 12x Bluray Writer BW-12B1ST
Asus VK278 monitor
Phanteks Enthoo Primo full tower case

Let me know if more information is needed.
5 REPLIES 5

xxLoTeKxx
Level 7
last time i got code 34 it was one of the power plugs to my vid card not making a secure connection
i have custom extentions that run to the vid and motherboard one wasnt pluged in good behind the motherboard trey

also i think your memory sticks not seated good in the mem slots can cause code 34 if im not mistaken

im sure its something simple, hope this helps! 🙂

[/HR]

[/HR]

LazarusLong
Level 7
Wow, I was so convinced that the assembly was not a problem, since it had already posted and gone into BIOS once...but I reseated the RAM sticks, the video card, and the video card power leads, and it booted to the windows setup screen. Thanks a lot!

xxLoTeKxx
Level 7
No Prob, glad i could help 🙂

[/HR]

[/HR]

LazarusLong
Level 7
OK well I guess I spoke too soon--While installing windows I got the error that no hard drives were found. A look in the case revealed that I had forgotten to attach the power cords...as I said, it has been a while since I have done a build. So I shut down and plugged in the hard drives, then when I rebooted I was back to where I was at the beginning of this thread.

More fiddling about and it has come to this: The system will boot to the BIOS if I have the graphics card in the long PCIe slot marked PCIE_x8_2, the second long slot from the CPU, but it will not boot (or at least won't display) if I have the graphics card in the PCIe slot marked PCIe_x16_1 which is the closest long slot to the CPU.

What gives?

UPDATE: Windows installed, installed the chipset drivers bluetooth and LAN drivers from the motherboard support DVD. Now running Windows Update. I have the sound card in the slot marked PCIE_x8_2 and the video card in the slot marked PCIE_x16/x8_3. This seems troubling to me--will I be able to set up a SLI configuration if I install a second GTX 780Ti in the slot marked PCIE_x8_4? Why wouldn't the video card work in the slot marked PCIE_x16_1?

xxLoTeKxx
Level 7
thats weird my vid is in the 1st slot 16x with no probsno sound card here tho just using onboard sound

is it still giving u probs? oh check to make sure the pcie lane switches are all in the on position ,i would check that first

[/HR]

[/HR]