cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP: ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z + AMD FX 8-Core 9370 4.4Ghz Running VERY SLOW

Scribblar
Level 7
Hey everyone. I decided to come here to the ROG forums because I feel I will get collective feedback from guru's here about my pproblem.

On March 17th,

My Crosshair IV Formula + AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BOTH fried. I do not overclock so for this to happen its almost unheard of.
Both CPU / Case Fans nothing had power except only being to hear my Hard Drive's spin up + DVD ROM. Luckily I had my brothers 8 Core Crosshair V Formula to do some testing. I initially swapped PSU's and my power supply which is a HX850 Corsair Silver did justice. It loaded up everything on his rig with no issues. CPU swapped, No Boot. Mind you I have had this setup since they first were on the market.

Long story short I ended up having to purchase a new motherboard + cpu + ram + ( decided to get new hard drives ).

So to recap My OLD CPU spec's were

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition @ 3.2Ghz Not Overclocked
Asus Crosshair IV Formula
DDR3 1600Mhz G2 Series (PGD38G1600ELK) 9-9-9-24 8GB 2 X 4GB Kit 1.65v
Sapphire HD 6870 1GB GDDR5
Gigabyte HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 Crossfire
Seagate Barracuda 3.0GB/S 500GB RAID 0 - Old Drives
Seagate Barracuda 3.0GB/S 500GB RAID 0 - Old Drives
Monitor LG W2242TQ 1680 x 1050 @ 60Hz
PSU Corsair TX 850w - Non Modular * R.I.P *

I use to be able to play games with pretty good fps and load times were really good to for that setup. Even basic tasks in loading programs / google chrome etc were very quick.

My New Setup

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
AMD FX 8 - Core 9370 @ 4.4Ghz Not Overclocked
DDR3 2400Mhz G.Skill Trident X (F3-2400C10D-8GTX) 10-12-12-31-2N 8GB 2 X 4GB Kit 1.50v
Sapphire HD 6870 1GB GDDR5
Gigabyte HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 Crossfire
Seagate Barracuda 6.0GB/s 500GB In RAID 0 - Brand New Drives ( Primary )
Seagate Barracuda 6.0GB/s 500GB In RAID 0 - Brand New Drives ( Primary )
Seagate Barracuda 3.0GB/s 500GB In RAID 0 - Old Drive ( Secondary )
Seagate Barracuda 3.0GB/s 500GB In RAID 0 - Old Drive ( Secondary)
Monitor HP L2245w 1680 x 1050 @ 60Hz Eyefinity
Monitor LG W2242TQ 1680 x 1050 @ 60Hz Eyefinity
Monitor LG W2242TQ 1680 x 1050 @ 60Hz x 2 - Eyefinity
PSU Corsair HX 850 Silver Modular

Max Resolution 5040 x 1050 @ 60Hz

This setup runs extremely slow. It shouldn't by far. I don't know what the problem is. To run basic applications in Windows it dosent seem as fast as my previous setup which makes no sense. Loading games too....

I have attached a full spec list / dx diag / GPU - Z / CPU - Z

If anyone can take some time out of their day to help me, It would greatly be appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Wow...sorry to hear about your past woes. Odd to have the PSU still working as I thought that would of been the reason why your motherboard, CPU and memory was "fried".

Let's see if we can sort though your current problems. I tried to look at your graphic but I couldn't zoom in enough to see the actual values; sorry.

This is what I would do first:
1) verify that you have the following power connectors populated:
- Aux 4-Pin CPU Power
- Aux 8-Pin CPU Power
- EZPlug Power Connector (Molex connector just above the top PCIe slot). The EZPlug is required for dual card configurations.
- Are all the power connectors populated on the graphic cards

2) Next I would look at going to a much simpler configuration...
- Single Video Card
- Single Drive not configure for RAID
- Single memory module

3) What are you temps at?

4) What version BIOS are you using?

It is possible that something in the RAID configuration is "messed up" which would result in slower performance.

I would also download and install Passmark benchmark software as they have a number of tests that you can run;and their website has lots of results to compare your system with. You can also "stress" your system with this software much like AIDA64 and Prime 95.

Keep us posted on your progress and what the problem was/is too.

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

Thank you for the reply

I did everything you said

I made sure Aux 4-Pin CPU Power and Aux 8-Pin CPU Power were connected.
I made sure the EZPlug Power Connector was connected.

I tried the single video card
I tried the Single Drive NON RAID Configuration
I alternated using single memory between my new Ram "G skill Triddent" and my previous "Patriot G2 Series"

3. My Temperatures seem to be normal.

CPU: 35 Degrees Celsius
Motherboard: 30 Degrees Celsius
HD 6870 GPU 1: 50 Degrees
HD 6870 GPU 2: 43 Degrees

4. BIOS Version is 1901

I have downloaded Passmark, and based on the results I have received, I am way below average.

Passmark Score: 1243.5

I have RE-Attached all the images from above, I realize that my resolution was too high causing the rendered images to look smaller. I apologize for that.

Scribblar
Level 7

Thanks again for taking the time to help me with my issue.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
I'll recheck the benchmarks on my FX-8350 later tonight but yes something isn't right here as you already pointed out 🙂

This seems like a bit of an odd problem; hoping that maybe someone else has seen this problem and will post a resolution? At this point I'm thinking a bad/defective CPU or a motherboard?

Here is something else to try:
1) reset your BIOS settings back to the default
2) verify that that BIOS is detecting your CPU correctly
3) you may want to update to the latest version of the BIOS which is 2002 (just release a few days ago)

No worries on the small graphic before; thanks for posting the benchmark results too.

Give the items above and a try and post back; hopefully we can get your system running up to par.

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

hax0rmort
Level 11
hi OP,

Sorry for your troubles :(. Can I ask if you have installed the two required patches for FX series 8 core CPUs in Windows 7x64. These two Microsoft patches change the parking status of the cores and the other patch does something else, i forget.

If you don't know what I"m talking about, then it's a minor oversight on your part as windows 7 was not built to support true 8 cores and will underutilize them by nature. If you need more info about what i'm talking about, i can link you directly to the microsoft download page for these two patches.

Hope this helps your score.

FYI, I have almost the same setup as you. I even had the Trident 2400 kit at one point.

Now, something else i'm going to tell you. If you were using a Phenom x6 in win7, then switched to a FX 8 core, you WILL notice everything a bit less responsive. I'm telling you, these patches ARE REQUIRED in order for windows to better use all cores.

I noticed the same lag from my phenom 1100t --> FX-8150 when I had that. I almost wanted to go back!

I HIGHLY recommend you look into windows 8.1 x64. your motherboard was built to officially support it, so at this point, there really is no excuse. Plus, you don't have to worry about these patches. AMD worked directly with microsoft on this aspect in windows 8 to make sure that at the basic foundation level, 8 cores would be fully utilized efficiently and to max potential in windows.

TL,DR ----- You need patches for windows from Microsoft to use 8 core CPUS, or you need to switch to windows 8.1 x64
-hax0rmort

MOBO - ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU - AMD FX-9370
RAM - AMD Radeon R9 Gamer Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2400 MHz
SSD1 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Boot
SSD2 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Game
GPU1 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
GPU2 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
COOLER - Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler
PSU - Corsair RM Series 1000W Gold PSU
AUDIO - Creative Sound Blaster Z
CASE - NZXT H440 Red/Black