cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone soldered wires to the Pro-Belt on a Crosshair V Formula-Z

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Greetings all,

I am curious if anyone has tried to solder wires to the CVFZ so they could monitor the voltages?

Also curious if anyone has used the remote temperate sensors that connect to the CVFZ; or if anyone knows what temp sensor is being used (a thermistor I suspect).

I have an idea for a display for reading voltages/temps and setting fan speeds using a touch panel on the front of the case seeming the new ROG Panels will not support the CVFZs.

Thanks for any insight provided-Brian

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]
10 REPLIES 10

msimax
Level 7
im actually going to do this later on but i dont see any problem just make sure nothing shorts in use..

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
TheNerdBench wrote:
Also curious if anyone has used the remote temperate sensors that connect to the CVFZ; or if anyone knows what temp sensor is being used (a thermistor I suspect).

Opt1: air intake at front of case
Opt2: internal case temperature in center of space between roof and upper-most graphics card
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10767/cab-195/FrozenCPU_Temperature_Probe_Cable_-_2-Pin_-_25.html?...
Opt3: water temperature taken at radiator inlet (Bitspower Part#: BP-WTP-CT)

They all work really well, but I haven't found any fan controlling software that will utilize the Opt sensors for fan-speed profiles. Otherwise, I'd have case fans set based on internal cabin temp, and front intake fans (drafting air in to help the radiator) based on water temperature.

Z

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Thanks Dr. Z for the feedback. I was thinking about using some conductive glue instead as I don't have a real small tip for my soldering station.

I'll do some checking on the temperature probes as well.

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

madcratebuilder
Level 10
SilverEpoxyAD-LC is a single component epoxy, formulated with pure silver power combined with organic binders and solvents to produce electrically conductive paths, films or patterns over non-conductive substrates. Found on evil bay, works great for circuit board repair, a conductive paint is available also.

They all work really well, but I haven't found any fan controlling software that will utilize the Opt sensors for fan-speed profiles. Otherwise, I'd have case fans set based on internal cabin temp, and front intake fans (drafting air in to help the radiator) based on water temperature.

Not a software only solution but Aquasuite with the AQ6 would do this and much more.
Speedbird 9590@5.1/CHVFZ/8gb G Skill@2133/ASUS R9-280X all on EK blocks controlled with Aquaero 6 Pro

Goonybird 8350@4.6/GA990FXAUD3/16gb Corsair@1600/Crossfired Sapphire 7990's cooled with CM 240L XSPC res

madcratebuilder wrote:
Not a software only solution but Aquasuite with the AQ6 would do this and much more.

Can you post a link? I can't seem to find any decent information about the AQ6. I don't have any media bays available, nor will I in the foreseeable future. (Sorry to hijack your thread, Nerd)

TheNerdBench
Level 10
No problem Dr. Z!

I did manage to find the item suggested by madcratebuilder but I'm not able to read German 🙂 Also thanks madcratebuilder for the heads-up on the "conductive epoxy" too!

Looks like a very high end product as it appears they do cooling for Network Operation Centers?

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
Link it - German is no problem for me.

Link to Aquacomputer that's mostly English.
http://shop.aquacomputer.de/index.php?language=en&

Link to a US retailer
http://www.aquatuning.us/manufacturers.php/manufac/4/manufacname/Aquacomputer.html

When I order from AQ in Germany I get my product on the west coast in 3-4 days!!

The Aquaero 6 pro comes with a screen and you can control everything with screen inputs. You can get a version without the screen and control everything with software (Aquasuite) The newest Aquasuite can use HWInfo sensor inputs. You have control of fans, pumps, ability to monitor flow, everything has a offset so you can fine tune the readings. I use this with the temp probes, with out the offset they can be 1-3 degree difference in individual probes. AQ uses the 10Kohm style.

This is a fantastic controller but it is spendy. I have a comment on AQ customer support, it's pretty good compared to what most of the industry has. I got replies within 24hrs. I had a problem with the AQ6, the screen would shut down when the molex power was applied. Turned out to be a faulty molex extension cable, the 5v and 12v wires got reversed, hed me scratching my head for a day or so. It would work in box but not my new box. With everything brand new in the new box I wasn't sure what the problem was. I can say the CHVFZ has been great, not a single hiccup. Fought W7 and Raid0 ssd's and hdd's
Speedbird 9590@5.1/CHVFZ/8gb G Skill@2133/ASUS R9-280X all on EK blocks controlled with Aquaero 6 Pro

Goonybird 8350@4.6/GA990FXAUD3/16gb Corsair@1600/Crossfired Sapphire 7990's cooled with CM 240L XSPC res

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
Thanks man. While I don't have the media bay space available, I will keep something like this in mind for the future. I'm still not completely convinced that there isn't a software-level solution; although, having the display and controls all in one place and eliminating background processes does make it a very tempting solution.