cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone found solution for hair dryer trick on rive iv?

UnlimitePower
Level 9
Has anyone found solution to "no posting without hair dryer trick on rive iv? My rampage IV Extreme has worked flawlessly since I built my system. Not one hick-up at all. A few nights ago it turned itself on. I was reading a book when the thing booted up on its own and stopped at the windows password screen. I thought someone was able to remote start it. I turned it off and awaited to see what happened. Nothing ever did but next day it did not turned on at all. I opened the case and the reset and start buttons were lit up as always so I pressed the start button and there was no reaction at all, as if I had no pressed it at all. I will save your time and tall you that I have done the troubleshooting up and including replacing the bios battery. Nothing ever worked. I got online and found a couple of postings, including one from another board manufacturer acknowledging a problem related to no post due to high humidity. So I popped the hair dryer and within 30 seconds the board fired up . I did a ram test and no probs. long story short, this board will post consistently within 30 seconds of hair drying time at low heat settings. Has not failed yet. I tested every single item already. A Ok on all. PC has not been moved from current location and board will not post if removed from case until a little hair dryer time has been applied. With or without parts installed. This tells me there is an temp related issue with a part/parts on the motherboard itself. Has any one resolved this issue. I have not over locked it ever as I wanted to get at least 5 to 7 years out of it. Thnks
24 REPLIES 24

philly cheese steak wrote:
Dude
Your found some else's ideal and posted it as your own, you have no clue! All your posts should be deleted as your the troll, You think Asus is gonna hire you or give you a bag of money? You probably don't even own the board, so who is the real troll?

Ease up. Let ASUS determine whether people have legitimate claims. You making assumptions and starting fights over them is not constructive. This is not how we expect members of this forum to conduct themselves.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I have not found the root of my boards problem. I am thinking, very likely a temperature stress crack on the solder. The strange part is that I have a fan flowing extra air under the GPU's fan intake and it is that general area of the bios battery. If anyone has any ideas of findins please free to pitch in.I rather take my soldering Iron to fix it than apply for RMA and go through what others have mentioned about contacting Asus.

UnlimitePower
Level 9
Well Said Xeromist.

xeromist
Any self repair is likely to void the warranty. So if you try and fail you could completely kill the board with no recourse. Even if you succeed you might later need to return the board for an unrelated issue and evidence of customer tampering is an automatic rejection because the whole thing becomes an unknown quantity. So if you still have a warranty I would try that first. I know there have been dramatic stories of troublesome RMA but those are the minority. On the scale of ASUS's business there are thousands upon thousands of returns an only a handful of stories make it here. I feel bad for the folks that have drama but the odds are still better than trying to repair it yourself.

If you are out of warranty then you could consider baking to reflow the solder. That's less invasive than an iron and can repair cracks you can't locate. But again, self repair should be a last resort before you send it off to e-cycling.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

@Xeromist. I am totally with you on this issue. Once I touch that board I either fix it or use it as a freezbee. I will video tape how I turn it on, making sure it shows board serial number ect. video tape the testing process up and including removal and boxing for shipping before I send it for RMA. Just as proof that the board works fine once it turns on.

By the way. My rig has the Rive Iv, 3930k, 64gig mem, GTX Titan, Samsung 840-pro SSD, 9 tera raid 0, Hard drive for Audio, Hard drive for scratch files Water cooling with h100i and more cooling fans than necessary. Case is that big Cosmos. Very nice looking. Power supply is the i1200AX...in set up internal wireless acc using gizmos from here and there. works really good. It is just funny to use a Hair drying to make it start.

eL_eL
Level 7
@UnlimitePower - I have a similar problem with my RIVE and ASUS is taking forever to RMA my motherboard. Since I couldn't be without significant downtime I ended up buying a RIVE Black Edition. Unless the new board has the same exact issue, I'm not quite sure the motherboard is the issue with my system. The symptoms are still there and the system still shuts down on its own. It just shuts down on its own less frequently when not overclocked but still does it at stock speeds. It will only power up after I leave the power switch off for a few minutes. Odd.

I am going to swap out the power supply and put the old board back in. Will report back on this.

Nodens
Level 16
How high is the humidity at your location? Nothing else makes sense for this issue.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Nodens wrote:
How high is the humidity at your location? Nothing else makes sense for this issue.

Not sure about OP but weather is typical San Diego. 72-75F degrees during the day and high 50s F at night with no excessive humidity.

System shutdown again at 9:25AM today. I swapped the old Seasonic X1250 power supply with a new one. Will report back if things improve.

eL_eL wrote:
Not sure about OP but weather is typical San Diego. 72-75F degrees during the day and high 50s F at night with no excessive humidity.

System shutdown again at 9:25AM today. I swapped the old Seasonic X1250 power supply with a new one. Will report back if things improve.

You don't seem to have the same issue as the OP. You said your system will power on after it's been left off for a while while the OP needs the hairdryer in order to power it up again. Your case seems to indicate unstable overclocking. Since you already swapped the board, the board can be ruled out. I would start by trying to reproduce your issue at stock settings. And if you can, you should check your RAM with Memtest86+. If RAM passes the test, try a barebone setup (only CPU, RAM , Video card. No headers whatsoever, no usb devices etc etc). Then start connecting devices and headers one by one until it happens again.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

Nodens wrote:
You don't seem to have the same issue as the OP. You said your system will power on after it's been left off for a while while the OP needs the hairdryer in order to power it up again. Your case seems to indicate unstable overclocking. Since you already swapped the board, the board can be ruled out. I would start by trying to reproduce your issue at stock settings. And if you can, you should check your RAM with Memtest86+. If RAM passes the test, try a barebone setup (only CPU, RAM , Video card. No headers whatsoever, no usb devices etc etc). Then start connecting devices and headers one by one until it happens again.

@Nodens - The symptoms were reproduced at stock settings on both boards. Memory tests came back fine via MemTest. Since my last post, I swapped out the Seasonic power supply with a new unit. It has been up and running for 3 days + 17 hours. I will let it run a few more days to see what happens. Thanks.