cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gene VII died and RMA just sent it back unfixed

Tempus
Level 7
My Gene just up and quit one night so I cycled power and on power up, there was a visible flash and smoke from a surface mount component next to a VRM. Board is charred - pretty noticeable. Request and received an RMA. Packed it up in it's original box and send it back. Two weeks later I get my same board back (but not my box, it came back in a plain white box). Charred marks still there and that burnt component is still there as well. Is this how ASUS RMA works? No note in the box saying what they did or didn't do. Just a service shipping list.

Gotta say, I'm not a happy camper right now. Is this typical? How do I get this thing fixed?
4 REPLIES 4

Tempus
Level 7
Thought I'd add a picture. It went out like this and came back the same. I guess if the shipping slip indicated they weren't going to cover it for whatever reason I'd be less livid. Paid a premium for a ROG, guess I expected better service came with it. Oh well, I'll try to call them Monday.

Puffnstuff
Level 10
Many years ago I had a similar experience with my xonar d2x soundcard when my optical port died. I sent it in for repair and while they replaced the port they returned it to me in a nonfunctioning state. My subsequent rma's have all turned out better with great service.
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, AMD 3900X, EVGA 360 aio, 32gb G.Skill Trident Z Neo, Samsung 970 Pro NVME 512gb, WD Black NVME 1 TB, Crucial MX500 2tb, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP!, EVGA Nu Audio, CM HAF 932

f1schu
Level 9
Sounds like a mistake to me bro, maybe it was marked as repaired when in fact it wasn't and so got returned to you.
I'm sure Asus will rectify the issue for you. They're normally pretty good tbh.
Chassis: NZXT Switch 810. - MB: Rampage v Extreme x99. - CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k. - Memory: 16GB Ripsaw 4 DDR4 2400MHz. - GPU: 2x Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 OC Edition 4GB.
PSU: Corsair AX1200i. - Storage: 1x Samsung 830 60GB SSD + 1x Samsung evo 840 120GB SSD + 1x Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD + 1x Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD.

Bahz
Level 12
Hi there,

Can you please send me a PM with the RMA# and I follow up on this case for you as soon as possible. I apologize for the inconvenience as it must be some kind of mistake that happened after it was received.

Thanks,
Bahz